Frameless Window Leaks - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #1

Maryland
Frameless Window Leaks

Hey all,

I have been chasing a water leak in my garage area for quite some time now....would have water pooling during times of rain. I have to assume that the window has leaked from day one, just never saw it because we kept the garage carpet in place...which has discolored from remaining wet for long periods of time (the carpet does a good job of staying dry on top, while keeping water underneath it...)

Now, I removed a section of diamond paneling and the college fridge cabinet door. Found that the water was between the wall and diamond plating. Went outside and sprayed the side of the trailer with water and wife saw water leaking from the window. So, in the rain and awning out, we removed the window, only to find that the seal around one of the top window corners was folded and not sealed against the trailer. Ran to the hardware store, bought 3/4 inch x 10 ft vinyl seal, put around the window and reinstalled. The bad part, the window hole is actually too big for the window, there is very little tolerance for window placement.

Today, I am going to remove the inside frame and spray in some closed cell, minimal expanding DAP foam. This should do two things for me, waterproof the gap and put some insulation in the gap while cutting down on some draft.

Cale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	2685  

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Maryland
I had a similar problem with our Kodiak 300BHSL bedroom window... turned out that the caulking along the top of the window wasn't properly applied and there was a gap in one location along the top edge. Easily corrected with standard window clear caulking. No further problems since then.

2011 Chevy Suburban 2500 4x4
2015 Kodiak 300BHLS
mjcarte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #3

Florida
Cale,
While you are at it, take a look from inside garage cabinet for fridge and look at the out side fridge acces hatch, I could see daylight because they cut the opening almost 1 inch all the way around bigger than the hatch frame.
I guess thats to help the blind installers hit the hole with the hatch.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #4

Maryland
Thom,

I knew that the wx seal wasn't the great on the door, because I do find water in with the fridge, enough such that the Lazy Susan has swollen from water...but when I had the inside door off while sitting in the garage, I just shook my head, you can see daylight all around it.

On a side note, I think I was having water intrusion at the black strip that runs around the trailer. I pulled the black part way off and saw a screw hole with no screw....fished a pipe cleaner through it....and wouldn't you guess it, she popped out on the inside...I think I will be taking all that black trim down to seal behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if sealant was left off those screws too....

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:00 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
My front entry door, can see daylight near the bottom. An easy fix, but does not make me comfortable about the quality of the build.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	2689  

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #6

Ontario
My garage door shines like that.

joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote