First slide problem - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #1

Pennsylvania
First slide problem

I have a 2013 Voltage 3200 and while on a trip recently noticed the large slide controller flashing. The code was motor 2 short circuit. Packed up and found the slide still worked brought it in but noticed one side came in a few inches sooner than the other. Got home and noticed another controller code flashing this time it was motor 1 short circuit. I also noticed the top track on the front of the slide was starting to get chewed up and decided not to fool with it anymore.
Contacted Lippert about the problem and they took my information, gave me a reference number and told me I could go to any Dealer for service to have the system checked with no hesitation. That at least was good news.
I hope this is not a sign of things to come. Hopefully the slide will open and close one more time because we have a trip planned before I could get into a dealer.
Anyone else with a 3200 and large slide issues? I was hoping since the 3200 has the smallest of large slides compared to other models I would escape the Schwintek curse.

4wlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #2

Washington
Sorry for your problem. The Schwintek issue doesn't seem to only pick on the big slides. They come from different issues like water, electronics, steel gears versus aluminum tracks, ad nauseum. You might be able to get it to work one more time for your trip by assisting it in and out. I give mine a little push to get them started and they seem to appreciate the help. They sound a lot better after they get moving. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Ok, let me be the bad guy here.
The dealer warranty guy called me this morning regarding my second attempt to have a working slide. He told me they think the end that causes the problem may be fitted too tight and is making the slide hang up in the opening causing yada yada yada.

What was interesting was the fact they had to take the sawsall to cut the rod that drives the gears on the three tracks. I told him when we motored the slide to the inside the gears were milling aluminum off the tracks. Not flakes, not chips but inch long slivers of aluminum.

So, if one thinks a Schwintek slide problem is a fluke or an RV brain fart or a transient problem, think again. Don't ignore the problem and don't write it off as 'one of those things' because you will be writing the check for the repair bill.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #4

Colorado
We have a '15 V3605 The first time we tried to bring the living room slide in it would only move a few inches and then stop. The unit was brand new, the motor controller had to be replaced. We had to cancel a trip till replaced, luckily Royal Gorge RV had a unit to replace it. This was just the start of problems with this unit.
Elmobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmobean View Post
We have a '15 V3605 The first time we tried to bring the living room slide in it would only move a few inches and then stop. The unit was brand new, the motor controller had to be replaced. We had to cancel a trip till replaced, luckily Royal Gorge RV had a unit to replace it. This was just the start of problems with this unit.
Where is that dealer? Did you purchase from Windish?
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

Colorado
Yes we purchased from Windish.
Elmobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 03:18 AM   #7

Alberta
Had my 2014 V3605 in dealer since October completing an arm long list of repairs, one of them was the bedroom slide not extending out fully, can fit my Fat fingers between the slide and the wall, when dealer was trouble shooting, the slide went to full extension and motors would not shut off when they released the button, both motors burnt out, had to get new motors and control boards hot shot from Vancouver. my unit has only been used 3 times by me, then went to dealer. new motors, and slide still doesn't go all the way out, WTH???
2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
Had my 2014 V3605 in dealer since October completing an arm long list of repairs, one of them was the bedroom slide not extending out fully, can fit my Fat fingers between the slide and the wall, when dealer was trouble shooting, the slide went to full extension and motors would not shut off when they released the button, both motors burnt out, had to get new motors and control boards hot shot from Vancouver. my unit has only been used 3 times by me, then went to dealer. new motors, and slide still doesn't go all the way out, WTH???
Wonder if the tracks are too short? I'm sure they checked that.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM   #9

Oklahoma
Could be the limit switch is not right. I think that these slides count the rotations of the motor, so it might be its programmed wrong.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #10

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
Could be the limit switch is not right. I think that these slides count the rotations of the motor, so it might be its programmed wrong.
I'll have to get the dealer to check that, i'm sure they know that, but i'll mention it to them

2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote