Endurance - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #1

Indiana
Endurance

I recently joined this forum hoping to find lots of info about Dutchmen toy haulers. Man has it paid off but no mention of my model. I have a new 2018.5 Endurance 3556g 5'er. This appears to be a fairly new line and Dutchmen offers several different model of 5er and TT. I'm assuming this since all I can find is sale ads and walk thru vids. The wife and I spent 6 months looking at just about every make and model both used and new but kept coming back to the model we purchased. Simply put, the bang for the buck and layout made our decision. 13k lbs at 39 ft was also a bid deal to help save some fuel. Anyone here have, had, or know someone who has or had one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_134351.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	5141  

Viper67z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper67z View Post
I recently joined this forum hoping to find lots of info about Dutchmen toy haulers. Man has it paid off but no mention of my model. I have a new 2018.5 Endurance 3556g 5'er. This appears to be a fairly new line and Dutchmen offers several different model of 5er and TT. I'm assuming this since all I can find is sale ads and walk thru vids. The wife and I spent 6 months looking at just about every make and model both used and new but kept coming back to the model we purchased. Simply put, the bang for the buck and layout made our decision. 13k lbs at 39 ft was also a bid deal to help save some fuel. Anyone here have, had, or know someone who has or had one.

Bengal65 has one and I think he is the only one besides you. On here that is.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:03 PM   #3

Tennessee
Me too

I also have a 3556. We were looking for an upgrade from our KZ and found it in this unit. We have had it for 3 camping seasons (March to September) and love it. We put a winch in the garage to help load the bike when it is raining. The learning curve involved finding the hot water heater, the kitchen drained into the rear gray tank and the too complex dual AC. We don't like the loft and wish there were overhead storage in the garage (like in the KZ). But no unit is perfect and the Endurance is close enough for us.
hbdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 02:08 AM   #4

Texas
2018 Endurance 3556

We to picked ours up last April just got back from RT to NY and back to Texas learned by curve yes main blk tank seal was twisted not a good seal very aromatic. Circuit breaker for heater was turned off access is out side at heater exhaust. Microwave defective . A/C works but no air to garage. Return for Heater goes straight thru to pass thru . Watch out for emergency window handle if the bench is in the vertical position it will shear off the handle. But other that that we love our new home on wheels. BTW it’s at Campingworld Katy Tx , been there 1 month All Warranty Work. They must only have 1 technician working.
Rokn
Rokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:12 AM   #5

Indiana
Good info. Thanks. I picked up mine in September and only got to take it out a couple times before winterizing it. Looks like I'm going to have to take mine in for warranty work as well. The left side of sound system went out, have some finish trim issues, a couple of drawers are out of wack and don't lock in properly. Otherwise 6 months of researching just about every toy hauler landed us right back to our first choice. After spending 5 days straight in it we knew this was the right choice. We can't wait for spring.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Oklahoma
Hope your warranty is better than mine... The will not cover "trim and cosmetic features" - seems door latches are cosmetic and trim so not covered... quick fix found some strong magnetic latches that have the childproof feature - keeps the drawers and cupboards closed an secured.
Red Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:34 PM   #7

Indiana
Finally got my TH in for warranty work. I had to take back to the Camping World I bought it from. That was 250 miles round trip. The Camping World in Greenwood Indiana that was 30 miles from me wouldn't even talk to me about it. They said they weren't taking new customers. WTF. Isn't that why I bought from a national chain. Once again the people at the Richmond Indiana store came through. Everything got fixed under warranty, even the trim issues. The stereo unit was bad so they replaced the whole thing. They even found another issue, showed it to me when I picked it up. They did everything to get it fixed that day which included taking a part off of another unit on the showroom floor. That's what I call service.
As for the Greenwood store and the "new customer" statement, I bought my last rv from them, the one I traded in get my new TH. I will never do business with that store again. I went there twice to buy the the unit I now have and didn't seem interested in selling either day. I guess the sales and service areas are from the same cloth.
Anyway, got my RV back and can't wait for my next trip.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:43 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper67z View Post
Finally got my TH in for warranty work. I had to take back to the Camping World I bought it from. That was 250 miles round trip. The Camping World in Greenwood Indiana that was 30 miles from me wouldn't even talk to me about it. They said they weren't taking new customers. WTF. Isn't that why I bought from a national chain. Once again the people at the Richmond Indiana store came through. Everything got fixed under warranty, even the trim issues. The stereo unit was bad so they replaced the whole thing. They even found another issue, showed it to me when I picked it up. They did everything to get it fixed that day which included taking a part off of another unit on the showroom floor. That's what I call service.
As for the Greenwood store and the "new customer" statement, I bought my last rv from them, the one I traded in get my new TH. I will never do business with that store again. I went there twice to buy the the unit I now have and didn't seem interested in selling either day. I guess the sales and service areas are from the same cloth.
Anyway, got my RV back and can't wait for my next trip.
That's AWESOME! I would keep that dealer over most of the others anytime!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #9

California
Just a terrible industry from dealers to manufacturers. So many cheap and low quality components with abysmal dealer support. Without this forum and other means of support my ownership would be a disaster.

Could you imagine taking your new car back to a dealer and having them tell you to come back in two months for warranty work “when they could fit you in”? Crazy. I don’t know how they can get away with what they get away with.

The only leverage you have is right up until the time you take delivery. After that good luck! These things are just a bunch of poorly made, light weight components bolted onto a chassis (almost universally Lippert) that the manufacturer just has to get us to the one year mark until the warranty runs out. The suspension design and components on these two axle toy haulers is shameful. The risk of failure is too great and that is only when using them as intended. And so many people probably overload them and that is not unforeseeable. Yes I am cynical but I think with good reason, I have had to remedy a lot of crap on this and prior trailers. It is not if you will have a problem, it is when you will have a problem and how big of an issue will it be.

I still love my rig and the fun it affords my family but if I didn’t have the money and time to throw at it then it would probably be sitting somewhere rotting away or worse I would have sold it for far less than I paid for it.

Thanks to all the forum contributors who allow me to keep enjoying it!
Old 04-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
Just a terrible industry from dealers to manufacturers. So many cheap and low quality components with abysmal dealer support. Without this forum and other means of support my ownership would be a disaster.

Could you imagine taking your new car back to a dealer and having them tell you to come back in two months for warranty work “when they could fit you in”? Crazy. I don’t know how they can get away with what they get away with.

The only leverage you have is right up until the time you take delivery. After that good luck! These things are just a bunch of poorly made, light weight components bolted onto a chassis (almost universally Lippert) that the manufacturer just has to get us to the one year mark until the warranty runs out. The suspension design and components on these two axle toy haulers is shameful. The risk of failure is too great and that is only when using them as intended. And so many people probably overload them and that is not unforeseeable. Yes I am cynical but I think with good reason, I have had to remedy a lot of crap on this and prior trailers. It is not if you will have a problem, it is when you will have a problem and how big of an issue will it be.

I still love my rig and the fun it affords my family but if I didn’t have the money and time to throw at it then it would probably be sitting somewhere rotting away or worse I would have sold it for far less than I paid for it.

Thanks to all the forum contributors who allow me to keep enjoying it!
You make some GREAT points and I completely agree with everything you said.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Unfortunately, the automotive industry and the RV industry aren't the same. The federal government heavily regulates the automotive industry, the RV industry, not so much, if at all. In fact, if you dig in deeper you will find out that the RVIA is a voluntary standard that is owned by the RV industry.

There are solid well-built RVs out there, however, most people aren't willing to pay the price. It seems it is always "did I get a good deal?" "How much can I expect to get off the MSRP?"

The RV industry is kind of like the wild west of old, and Caveat Emptor is the word of the day.

Because the RV dealers and manufacturers are primarily looking out for themselves and no one else. Record profits and sales will continue until the next crash. However, it seems that all of the really good ones lose out when the economy takes a downturn and only the well-financed shoddy ones survive.

Something like 80% of the current RV industry is controlled by two major players; Thor and Forest River. Until the American consumer votes solidly with their wallets, the problems will continue.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Unfortunately, the automotive industry and the RV industry aren't the same. The federal government heavily regulates the automotive industry, the RV industry, not so much, if at all. In fact, if you dig in deeper you will find out that the RVIA is a voluntary standard that is owned by the RV industry.

There are solid well-built RVs out there, however, most people aren't willing to pay the price. It seems it is always "did I get a good deal?" "How much can I expect to get off the MSRP?"

Aaron

@Aaron, you make some great points but I would think if I spend in the high 5 figures for an RV that it should be solid and well-built. I shouldn’t have to buy a $1m diesel pusher motor home to get quality. I would expect fit and finish and material to be better on a really expensive rig but I still think mine shouldn’t be expected to fall apart.

The funny thing is my first trailer was a 2006 23 footer with a slide out that I purchased used and the quality of that trailer exceeds the Sandstorm and Voltage I bought for much more later in and both of those were new!
Old 04-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsol View Post
@Aaron, you make some great points but I would think if I spend in the high 5 figures for an RV that it should be solid and well-built. I shouldn’t have to buy a $1m diesel pusher motor home to get quality. I would expect fit and finish and material to be better on a really expensive rig but I still think mine shouldn’t be expected to fall apart.

The funny thing is my first trailer was a 2006 23 footer with a slide out that I purchased used and the quality of that trailer exceeds the Sandstorm and Voltage I bought for much more later in and both of those were new!
Due diligence. I looked at several RVs at our local RV show back in February. There were quite a few that I would not have purchased at any price. Just because they charge 5 figures for something doesn't mean it is worth it.

Take a look at Spacecraft or New Horizons.

Could Thor build a decent unit? Yes, if they weren't letting profits drive everything they do.

Aaron
Old 04-11-2019, 11:34 PM   #14

Maryland
I have a 2014 Dutchman aspen trail. Could you tell me if they come with a built in surge protector? Husband seems to think it does. I don’t think it does. Thank you
Katbabie37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:37 PM   #15
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katbabie37 View Post
I have a 2014 Dutchman aspen trail. Could you tell me if they come with a built in surge protector? Husband seems to think it does. I don’t think it does. Thank you
Nope

Need to look into purchasing an EMS. Progressive Industries makes the best one.

Aaron [emoji41]
Old 04-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #16

Florida
Quote:
Nope

Need to look into purchasing an EMS. Progressive Industries makes the best one.

Aaron [emoji41]
Aaron, you mentioned one of the Progressive units, which one would, in your opinion, would be the best one? Amazon prime has this one on sale!

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...wtrackb2342-20

or this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9MOY7B/ref=emc_b_5_t

sadly, the effectiveness of these units depend on the quality of the ground in the RV park's system.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:05 PM   #17

Illinois
Spacecraft and New Horizon will set you back $250K plus. Nice units but a bit more than I could afford. Split the difference with a Forest River Riverstone Legacy. 6 months of full time living and almost zero issues (knock on wood). I think I'm lucky though as I had almost the same experience with my Voltage 3990, although the quality of the 2 units is markedly different.
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #18
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
Aaron, you mentioned one of the Progressive units, which one would, in your opinion, would be the best one? Amazon prime has this one on sale!

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...wtrackb2342-20

or this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9MOY7B/ref=emc_b_5_t

sadly, the effectiveness of these units depend on the quality of the ground in the RV park's system.
Links both lead to the same one.

The PTX is the way to go. If there are issues with the ground in the RV park system you DON'T want to be the ground for it. Poor or missing electrical grounds are one of the leading causes of electrocution. I use a portable one, I can plug it in and check the power supply prior to getting set up. There have been a couple of occasions where I needed to move to a different site because there were issues with the power panel on the initial site.

Aaron
Old 04-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #19
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Spacecraft and New Horizon will set you back $250K plus. Nice units but a bit more than I could afford. Split the difference with a Forest River Riverstone Legacy. 6 months of full time living and almost zero issues (knock on wood). I think I'm lucky though as I had almost the same experience with my Voltage 3990, although the quality of the 2 units is markedly different.
I am not saying that all RVs made by the big guys are bad, they can and do make decent units, however, it can be a crap shoot. At the RV show, they had a Thor Omni Super C and a Dynamax Isata 5 parked right next to each other. They were priced within ~$2k of each other. The quality and the options on the Dynamax were head and shoulders above the Thor Omni. On the surface, they looked quite similar, but when you started looking at things like interior lighting, wiring, drawer bottoms and sides, along with general construction techniques the Dynamax was obviously better thought out and of much better overall quality. Another brand that was at the booth was a Nexus, fit and finish was okay but there were an awful lot of "unfinished" items.

Aaron
Old 04-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #20

Florida
Quote:
Links both lead to the same one.

The PTX is the way to go. If there are issues with the ground in the RV park system you DON'T want to be the ground for it. Poor or missing electrical grounds are one of the leading causes of electrocution. I use a portable one, I can plug it in and check the power supply prior to getting set up. There have been a couple of occasions where I needed to move to a different site because there were issues with the power panel on the initial site.

Aaron
I ended up buying this one (income tax refund)
PROGRESSIVE INDUSTRIES EMS-PT50X Portable RV Surge Protector (50 A)