Electric Lock failure - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

California
Electric Lock failure

Hi everyone,

2016 Voltage 3818

My ramp door locks are stuck open. When I turn the key it made a longer throw noise on the latch than normal. Now there is no noise at all. Checked power source and there is power to the cam lock. The connector is on the house power and not the 9volt. I had to use ratchet straps to keep the door shut for the last trip home.

My question, has this happened on any other units out there? If so, what was the fix? I was never a fan of this component. As with any other electrical item, its bound to fail and then what. Wondering if anyone has installed the mechanical latches with any good results.

Thanks for the feedback.

RobertoFilice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

Colorado
You got me on "electric locks". Post a couple of pics so we know a little more on what you're asking about.

Thanks,

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:36 PM   #3

Utah
Is this the Morryde ramp system? If so mine failed in the closed position and I just got the trailer back from dealer for warranty repair. They replaced the entire lock system said the failure on mine fried the actuators that open/close the locks. Now the key that unlocks the ramp is a more traditional key vs the round barrel type key.

Hope this info helps?
Grizzly660fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:25 AM   #4

California
Thanks for the response. My locks have failed in the open position. No actuator while I turn the key. The barrel has been replaced once. This will be the second time but the entire system is going to be replaced I think. Ratchet straps for the trip home to keep the door shut. At least I can still get the toys out. It's going in for repair in April but I can't help but think this will be a reoccurring issue.
RobertoFilice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:58 AM   #5

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoFilice View Post
Thanks for the response. My locks have failed in the open position. No actuator while I turn the key. The barrel has been replaced once. This will be the second time but the entire system is going to be replaced I think. Ratchet straps for the trip home to keep the door shut. At least I can still get the toys out. It's going in for repair in April but I can't help but think this will be a reoccurring issue.
Having the locks fail open while driving is a serious safety issue. It might be worth reporting to the NHTSA. With a formal complaint, manufactures have an incentive to investigate, and possibly issue a recall.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #6

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly660fan View Post
Is this the Morryde ramp system? If so mine failed in the closed position and I just got the trailer back from dealer for warranty repair. They replaced the entire lock system said the failure on mine fried the actuators that open/close the locks. Now the key that unlocks the ramp is a more traditional key vs the round barrel type key.

Hope this info helps?
I had the exact same issue as you. The new latch system keeps my back ramp door open a quarter of an inch so I will have to adjust that.

scotch84118 is offline   Reply With Quote