Dryer Research - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #1

Maryland
Dryer Research

I have been doing some looking and thinking into the installation of a proper washer/dryer combo.....not the silly dual function single unit that is crammed into the tight hallway cabinet.

Sears has a nice stackable combo that caught my eye, for about $700. They have both electric and gas. I would need to get creative to get the proper electric requirement to the garage for 220v, can be done, but overall, a lot of work. Which got me thinking about the gas dryer.

I am planning on putting propane heat in the garage this summer, running an extra line for propane would not be too difficult. I am looking at taking down the "entertainment" center in the garage (the TV, radio, subwoofer, cabinet) for the combo location. This would make it pretty easy to tap into the water/drain/dedicated power already installed.

Been doing some reading on propane dryers in RVs, I have gathered that it is not impossible, just difficult to maintain RVIA certification at the manufacturer level. There is an RVIA code that says that both exhaust/combustion air shall come from the exterior of the coach. The units I am looking at are mobile home certified, but I am curious if any of you have thought about doing this. I did check, the garage is provides a large enough space for fresh air, even more so if the ceiling vent is open whenever in use...

The burn rate on the dryer is 20k BTU per hour, where as propane provides 80k BTU per hour....I could get 4 hours of clothes drying out of a gallon of propane.

Thoughts??

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I use a compact stackable at home, mine is an old Kenmore/Frigidaire unit. My only caveat is to make sure and read the reviews carefully. Somewhere along the way they went for the "Energy Star" rating and they did it by reducing water capacity in the drum. This reduced the amount of clothes that could be done in a single load This appears to have happened on the lower end ones.

As far as the gas is concerned a dedicated permanently open vent in the washer/dryer area should meet the requirements. Also make sure your gas line is sized large enough for the BTU pull.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #3

North Carolina
we have a cyclone now with a rv combo (single) unit. I also have a voltage on the way and thought that it may be a good time to swap out for stackable separate units. or at lest be sure to get the vent hole drilled in a place to go that rout latter. have had a bit of trouble with this one... personally , can't make sense of gas, not when electric is ''free."
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkins44 View Post
we have a cyclone now with a rv combo (single) unit. I also have a voltage on the way and thought that it may be a good time to swap out for stackable separate units. or at lest be sure to get the vent hole drilled in a place to go that rout latter. have had a bit of trouble with this one... personally , can't make sense of gas, not when electric is ''free."
Electricity isn't always "free" some longer term campgrounds meter it. The biggest issue, getting a 240 volt line in the RV to run a house hold dryer. You can get 120 volt but it takes FOREVER for clothes to dry with one of those. I have a friend who made that mistake. When her unit finally wore out we put in a 240 line for new one.

Aaron
Old 01-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #5

Ohio
I negotiated the washer and dryer as part of our purchase. They did not recommend the combo units so we ended up with a stackable Splendide Ariston Stackable Laundry Collection by Splendide Takes Splendide Quality and Performance to New Heights Both run on 110 and the dryer is vented out the bottom of the garage.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:53 AM   #6

Maryland
We are getting ready to pull the trigger on a Maytag washer and gas dryer (converted to propane)....I got to thinking about the vent install. The manual says that exhaust gases reach 200 degrees. NFO you guys think our walls are good enough for that? I know in Vegas, my IR thermometer was showing 175 in the sun.

I pay for electricity and propane is cheaper and delivered. Plus I don't have to worry about trying to run another leg for power to make a 240 connection.

Cale

Old 02-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Cale,
As long as you have enough clearance around the pipe you should be fine. You could also check and see if they make a double wall pipe in the required size. You won't need much of it.

Aaron
Old 02-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #8

Michigan
There are several heating supply companies that sell Class A, B and C vent pipe flanges (called a thimble by some) for gas fireplaces that may help you out with venting and clearances.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 AM   #9

Maryland
Thanks guys...I have never owned an actual home with gas appliances, did not know about the Type B vents. I started doing some digging, I am going to follow code for manufactured homes and venting gas appliances. I am actually pretty excited about this, as we would save $100 per month...and with a 5.3 cubic foot washer, only have to do three loads per week.

Cale

Old 02-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
Site Team

North Carolina
Good Luck Cale! $100 a month? That is like free money, won't take long to pay for the new dryer!

Aaron