Drain Voltage gasoline tank - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2013, 01:14 AM   #1

Utah
Drain Voltage gasoline tank

What is the best way to drain the gasoline (generator) tank on a Voltage V3200? I'm hoping that someone will tell me there is a drain valve tucked away someplace.

ParkCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #2

Idaho
There's no drain, try sta-bil instead.

Bulldog80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #3

Mississippi
Tap the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog80 View Post
There's no drain, try sta-bil instead.
Thought of adding an aftermarket transmission drain bolt, where you drill a certain size hole then add the washer and bolt, but to scared to try!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:58 PM   #4

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Thought of adding an aftermarket transmission drain bolt, where you drill a certain size hole then add the washer and bolt, but to scared to try!
I think that'd be an excellent idea if you want to drain it occasionally... but beforehand, I'd definitely use a hand-pump to transfer as much out of the tank as I could. Then I'd leave the cap off for a few days to allow anything that was left to evaporate away, and also vent the fumes.

After that... I'd choose one of the 2 following options:

1) It seems I remember reading where you can buy ceramic (non-metal) drill bits from someplace online. If so, I'd use one of those to at least drill a small pilot hole to start it... and then even maybe let it sit for a few more days with now that the tank has 2 open places to allow air to vent thru the tank before drilling the final size hole that I needed for the drain-bolt fitting.

Or... if that's not possible...

2) After allowing the tank to vent for a couple of days... I fill the entire tank with water, which would dilute any remaining fuel to no more than 1 part in 30. a tank full of water would also eliminate any remaining fuel vapors in the tank... which, many times are more flammable than the actual fuel. Then I'd drill a small pilot hole to get me started, and the diluted water mixture shouldn't be flammable.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #5

Oklahoma
Back in the good ole days, pre-computerized auto engines, we would safely weld a gas tank by simply creating an over rich fuel mixture inside the tank. We would do that by introducing a hose into the tank with the other end in an exhaust pipe. We'd start the engine and pull out the choke until the car's engine stumbled and grunted to stay running. The rich exhaust from the choked engine would create a super rich environment in the tank which precluded heat and flames from igniting the fumes.
Obviously this worked but not possible to do these days unless one can find an old chokeable engine/
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 PM   #6

New Jersey
One of the advantages to having only one tank for the generator and fueling station is I can pump most of the gas out.
pdonoghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Tennessee
I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to drain your tank?

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #8

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by micahmiles View Post
I'm still trying to figure out why you would want to drain your tank?
Well I can see why...

If you're the type who rarely uses the generator... why keep hauling around extra weight (fuel) that you don't need?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:53 AM   #9

Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Well I can see why...

If you're the type who rarely uses the generator... why keep hauling around extra weight (fuel) that you don't need?
I've put the trailer away for the winter... no need to let the gasoline sit in the tank, the fuel line, and the carberator or fuel injection system. I've used Stabil before, but would like to empty the tank and run the fuel line dry.
ParkCityGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #10

Washington
I empty the cargo fuel into my kids quads and riding mower. The gen. tank has the good Stabil in it and I run it occasionally. This will be the first winter with it and we shall see if it continues to work. If not, I will be putting a drain in. A small weld in bung with a flush allen keyed NPT plug has done well for me before.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:04 PM   #11

Oregon
3200 Generator Fuel Tank Drain

Somewhere on the site I read about an owner put a t-fitting into generator fuel supply line in order to drain the old fuel from gen tank. Can't find it but would love to be able to drain fuel from generator tank as it get's old and I think even Stabil has it's life span.

Normally fill Toy tank and then pump into gen tank but screwed up and filled the generator tank which is taking forever to go through!
Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #12

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by israelws View Post
Somewhere on the site I read about an owner put a t-fitting into generator fuel supply line in order to drain the old fuel from gen tank. Can't find it but would love to be able to drain fuel from generator tank as it get's old and I think even Stabil has it's life span.

Normally fill Toy tank and then pump into gen tank but screwed up and filled the generator tank which is taking forever to go through!
I believe you are referring to another member who installed a second (pusher) pump near the tank as several of us have to improve generator performance. When he did this, that is where he installed the "TEE" or three way valve in order to pump from the generator tank to any container he wanted to. I can't recall the thread, but I believe this is what you are looking for.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 AM   #13

Arizona
I would just remove the genny fuel line directly from the tank, take a cheap electric fuel pump or a spare lying around the garage somewhere if applicable. Hook up a 6' piece of fuel line from tank to spare pump, and a foot or so from the pump to direct the fuel into a container. Set pump on top of an overturned bucket to hold it in place. Clamp the pos and neg wires from the pump to a spare batt and watch it pump out into your container.
Before reinstalling existing fuel line back to tank, inspect the fuel line where it connects to the tank to ensure the end is not cracked, as they usually are, cut off bad spot and reconnect (sometimes I use ATF as lube on the connection) secure the clamp. All done.

Use old gas for mowers, weed wackers, or whatever else needs it. Or watch some of those "Uncle Rob" videos on You tube for some creative ways to dispose of the gasoline.

Good Luck.
Gear
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #14

Arkansas
Emptying the tank and running the fuel line dry will only help, not eliminate the carburetor from gumming up. With this new fuel you will need to put Stabil or some type of fuel stabilizer in the fuel and run the generator long enough to make sure that treated fuel gets into the carburetor. Then you can drain and run fuel line dry if you want. Trust me, I learned this the expensive way.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #15

Colorado
I disconnected the fuel line from the genny and let gravity do most of the work,loosen the gas cap. If you can pressurize the tank slightly, goes even faster

I only put boat gas or non ethanol in both tanks. Makes a huge difference.
I also put a fuel stop valve at the genny. I shut the valve and run her dry, no fuel additives needed for 6 month rest.

Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote