Dragging the back end - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2017, 09:26 PM   #1

Washington
Dragging the back end

Within a few short weeks of owning our Voltage 3305, I managed to tear the lower end of the vertical corner strips and the end caps off the rear end. I became very aware of the rear end geometry and how poorly designed this is for typical roadways, parking lot aprons, etc.
we'll, today I managed to really wrench the rear right and I don't even know where exactly it happened. There was never an onbvious deviation in road or parking lot height to be concerned but, with that corner 60'+ back and on the opposite side from where I sit, I never even felt a bump!
Looks like an insurance claim, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6377.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	4227  

The Cramblersons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #2

Pennsylvania
Out of curiosity are you towing level or nose high?

Old 06-26-2017, 10:38 AM   #3

Illinois
Ouch! Heartbreaker. Insurance for sure. Bummer is the weeks it will be out of service. Not fast on repairs, especially this time of year.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cramblersons View Post
Within a few short weeks of owning our Voltage 3305, I managed to tear the lower end of the vertical corner strips and the end caps off the rear end. I became very aware of the rear end geometry and how poorly designed this is for typical roadways, parking lot aprons, etc.

we'll, today I managed to really wrench the rear right and I don't even know where exactly it happened. There was never an onbvious deviation in road or parking lot height to be concerned but, with that corner 60'+ back and on the opposite side from where I sit, I never even felt a bump!

Looks like an insurance claim, eh?

Sh-t happens, don't kill your self over it
Put in claim and repair at the end of the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stan the man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #5

Texas
Weld some rollers on it. This is what I used 5 of them. Good deal on Amazon
Ultra-Fab 48-979023 2.5" x 3" Weld-On Jumbo Roller
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Black Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM   #6

Nevada
Oh NO, That's a part of the frame on the lower end, if it just came off at the seam, and didn't tear away, then a quick repair, upper part is one piece and just remove and replace, Good Luck, Ins. should cover...
Coming out from Truck Gas Stations, the driveways have a good drop,
If your RV is riding high in the front, its time to add the steel rollers to the rear, since they will be repairing anyway...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #7

Wyoming
Just a thought...

Adding the Correct Track system (if not already installed) will raise the rear 2", and help alleviate that issue. Of course, it also makes your ramp a few degrees steeper for getting your toys in & out... but that can be overcome by raising the nose when loading/unloading.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #8

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Just a thought...

Adding the Correct Track system (if not already installed) will raise the rear 2", and help alleviate that issue. Of course, it also makes your ramp a few degrees steeper for getting your toys in & out... but that can be overcome by raising the nose when loading/unloading.
I have the same issue. I too have drug the ground and done some damage to the rear of the trailer. Not as bad as yours but I have damaged both of the corner trim pieces. I have replaced my kingpin with a morride to lower the front and still riding high in the front. I now am working with camping world to install the correct track system. We have an appointment for next month and they will install it for about $750. If that doesn't raise it enough then there is also a canadian company that makes some aluminum trailer blocks. I think I would only need about 1 more inch form there. Hopefully I won't even need the blocks.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:12 PM   #9

Colorado
Sorry to see that. I did the same thing to mine on our first trip coming out of a gas station. I was lucky in that only the trim pieces were bent back, but I had the correct track II system installed at the end of that season to raise the bumper up a bit. Still doesn't sit perfectly level but I haven't scraped it since (I'm also a bit more careful).
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:42 PM   #10

I think a lot of us drag our rear ends especially on our campers.. I have torn my ladder off twice and last year i was pulling into a camping slot. I swung wide to clear the trees and thought nothing of it.. About 15 minutes later I saw a crew working on a water pipe. They came over and told me my stabilizer dragged through the hill which had a water pipe in it and broke the pipe and bent the corner of my camper. Yes mine is low in the rear also..
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #11

Virginia
I have a steep railroad crossing at the end of my driveway. I am length limited. Only the 3200 would make the entrance/exit. Max length is in and out is 36' and I had to put skid wheels under the back end to keep the rear bumper from dragging.
I used these wheels... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SkidWheels.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	4228  
DR Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 AM   #12

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wlow View Post
Out of curiosity are you towing level or nose high?
Ever so slightly nose high. I finally determined where I dragged it. It was in the entrance to Holy Smoke RV Resort near Mt Rushmore. This was my stop for a couple days and I notiiced it (apparently) within minutes of it occurring. Seems the entry is downhill and then levels. I took a bad angle in due to the steep downhill roadway. Was also going a little faster than I typically do when transitioning roadways to driveways. My bad but still a poor design.

I'll look into the correct track system. We've been in the road for 5+ months and only a few days away from the end of our adventure. Plenty of time for repairs. A few warranty items as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #13

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
I have a steep railroad crossing at the end of my driveway. I am length limited. Only the 3200 would make the entrance/exit. Max length is in and out is 36' and I had to put skid wheels under the back end to keep the rear bumper from dragging.
I used these wheels... https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dr Buck,
Would you mind telling us how you attached these skid wheels and to what you attached them?
Thanks
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:12 AM   #14

Virginia
It’s all drilling and bolting. No welding needed. The thick metal plate with a bolt in each end comes with the wheels. I used it as a template to drill. The 2 end bolts are what holds the whole assembly to the camper frame. I drilled through the flat metal plate that was already welded (by the factory) under the camper. It has the slots in it. I do not know what the original purpose of it was.

First, I lined up the plate and drilled so the 2 end bolts also went through the 2” x 2” square tube already welded to the frame by the factory. I installed those 2 end bolts down from inside the square tube. I used a telescoping magnet to get them in where my fingers couldn’t reach. After bolting the plate on with those 2 end bolts I drilled the other factory installed plate for the 2 bolts that are toward the inside of the Voltage. The other 2 are already clear of obstruction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wheels-1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	4230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels-2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	4231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheels-3.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	4232  
Old 06-30-2017, 02:29 PM   #15

Alabama
rear end is a drag

I did mine the day I brought it home, entering the driveway which is a tad higher than the street surface. I'm going to purchase two rollers, the 2" x 2", one on each corner should do it. The only problem with that is whom do I get to weld them on.
Schuffyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:05 AM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuffyman View Post
I did mine the day I brought it home, entering the driveway which is a tad higher than the street surface. I'm going to purchase two rollers, the 2" x 2", one on each corner should do it. The only problem with that is whom do I get to weld them on.
All the welded pieces were already on mine from the factory. Have no idea what they were originally for.