Direct Tv SWM satellite antenna - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #1

Alabama
Direct Tv SWM satellite antenna

Rob here.. I am new to the group.. I have a 2012 Voltage3950. I have picked up several tips from all you guys.. I am now wondering have any of you installed the automatic satellite antenna on your rig? If so is there any particular place that is easy to get the cables down into the control panel... Thanks.. Rob

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #2

Oklahoma
If I had to run coax or any small wire from the roof to the interior I would drop the wire down through the slide bulb seal on the RV side. It's a tube so the coax will pass. Drop it out the bottom of the tube and run it into the wet bay where you can route the coax to the STB.
It'll take a little work but with some imagination you can get the coax where you need it.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Michigan
On my '14 3950, I just plug into the satellite/cable connector in the wet closet, turn off the AMP and in the DirecTV setup menu, I change the setting from SWM to MultiSwitch and go...
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #4

Oklahoma
OH! I see. When I read automatic satellite antenna my mind flashed back to the days of working on the TracVision satellite TV antennae. They aren't the throw on the ground type but rather roof or bridge mounted.
Disregard my suggestion as I repair my cranial/rectal inversion.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #5

Alabama
I appreciate all input... I loved the idea of my automatic SWM satellite antenna on the roof that would support my HD Genie and all my wireless Genies.. Just don't like the idea of drilling holes in my roof and trying to fish the wires around thru the attic... Thanks.. Rob
Old 07-20-2015, 12:53 PM   #6

Maryland
We run the Genie and wireless Genies. I have the powered brick velcroed in the wet bay, one side going into the already installed coax and the other goes out to my antenna. In the trailer, we ran a coax from the cable/OTA antenna panel to the TV. With this setup, I can use DirecTV or OTA programming to all TV sets...if I need to use cable, it will display on the main TV.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Wyoming
Well, while we're on the subject... since I'm about to go full-time, I'm actually thinking about going the other way & installing one on my roof. Specifically, the Trav'ler antenna from Winegard.

TRAV’LER DIRECTV SWM Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna - Winegard SK-SWM3 - Satellite Antennas - Camping World

Not really interested in the Dish vs. Direct TV debate... or the roof-mount vs. tripod antenna issue. Based on other comments from here and other forums, if I do it, I've already made up my mind on that.

But I am wondering if we have any other Voltage owners with this unit on their rigs... and if so... did you installed it yourself, have a pro do it... difficulty... pros, cons, etc?

With 3 AC's on my roof already, and covers for my 3 vents... the only place I can see where it would fit is directly in front of the main AC. And even then, when folded down, I think it might be tight to the TV antenna (haven't actually got up there to measure... just eye-balled it). And also wondering if the radius curve of the roof might be an issue also.

Thanks...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Michigan
Tom - I agree with your choice - If I were going to a roof mount, this is definitely the way I'd go. Only reason I won't and stick with my Qube is that we camp in a lot of places with too many trees to be abel to use it. My father in law has lucked out several times since I have dual outputs on my dish so he can piggy back on as his roof mount can't get thru the trees.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
I appreciate all input... I loved the idea of my automatic SWM satellite antenna on the roof that would support my HD Genie and all my wireless Genies.. Just don't like the idea of drilling holes in my roof and trying to fish the wires around thru the attic... Thanks.. Rob
I had the dealership install my satellite antenna. They mounted it on the roof above the entertainment center dropping the coax directly into the TV cabinet. They drilled a small hole through the roof and covered it with a mounting plate that looks like it came with the antenna and finished it off with lap sealant. Watch out for the AC ducts!!!

I live just down the road from Notrees, TX and my roof top has always been able to aim. I threw in the portable automatic satellite antenna when I sold my last trailer but I still have my old tripod in case I get under cover.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

Alabama
Tom. That is exactly the dish I have.. Mike and Helen.. About how far from the edge of the camper is the center of the satellite? Thanks.. Rob
Old 07-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

Illinois
Good morning. I had CW install the Traveler on my 2015 Voltage 3990. While they did a poor job of running the cables and mounting the boxes, they did a neat job on the satellite dish. We have DISH at home, so we carried it thru on our unit, just paying the $7.00 a month per box extra, as we are in and out of our unit all the time and will be spending winters in it full time. Like you, I have three AC's, and four vents, not counting the shower skylight and my solar panels. Mine is located way up front. I think behind the front AC. No issues. Love the system. Fires right up. No issues at all. Other than $1,300 for the unit, I highly recommend it.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #12

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Tom. That is exactly the dish I have.. Mike and Helen.. About how far from the edge of the camper is the center of the satellite? Thanks.. Rob
I want to say it's dead center on the roof. I have some gear in my truck to drop off at the trailer. I have the less expensive dome antenna, I'll try and post a photo later today. My nieghbor at the storage yard bought my old trailer and put on a Trav'ler antenna, I'll get a picture of his roof too.

Mike & Helen
Old 07-20-2015, 06:23 PM   #13

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
I want to say it's dead center on the roof. I have some gear in my truck to drop off at the trailer. I have the less expensive dome antenna, I'll try and post a photo later today. My neighbor at the storage yard bought my old trailer and put on a Trav'ler antenna, I'll get a picture of his roof too.
I snapped some photos so you could get a better idea of how these satellite antenna are mounted.

The Trav'ler antenna is mounted in the center of the roof towards the rear of the trailer with the coax dropping into the TV cabinet which is in the rear of the off door slide on this trailer.

My antenna is also centered on the roof directly over the entertainment center which is between the bath & den. I assume the coax drop is centered to miss the AC ducts which run down either side. You may notice the plate covering the coax drop is the same for both antennas so it must be in the mounting kit.

Good luck with your project!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trav'ler mount 1.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	2378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna mount 1.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	2379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna mount 2.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	2380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna mount 3.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	2381  

Mike & Helen
Old 07-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #14

Maryland
I have seriously thought about doing this, but we end up in trees too many times. Today, we had to set up the dish nearly 50ft away.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:12 AM   #15

Alabama
Thanks so much for the info and pics... I looked thru my mounting kit this afternoon and sure enough.. The cover in your pics for the cables is the same.. By the weekend I will have it installed and working.. Again... Thanks for all the advice and pics... Rob
Old 10-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #16

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
If I had to run coax or any small wire from the roof to the interior I would drop the wire down through the slide bulb seal on the RV side. It's a tube so the coax will pass. Drop it out the bottom of the tube and run it into the wet bay...
Hey Sundancer...

I guess I'm just not used to the terms you're using here. What exactly is the "slide bulb seal", and what do you mean by "RV side"? Is that the driver's side, or the curb (passenger) side?

The reason I ask is that I bought a WiFi repeater/booster that I'm going to install on the wind-up antenna mast, and would like to have a place to run the cable w/o drilling into the roof. If there's a tube nearby where I could drop a cable thru, that would be nice.

Thanks...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

Florida
Tom,

Stole this picture from a post about 6 months ago from ewacowboy, this is the bulb seal

Seal
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #18

Michigan
For what it's worth, I ran my solar panel cables down one of my tank vents and out a slot on the belly that I sealed shut. No holes in roof
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 PM   #19

Wyoming
Ohhh! Ok, I get it now... You mean inside the cavity of the seal itself.

I thought he meant there was a "tube" located somewhere... and I wasn't aware that was the name of the type seals they are. A bulb-type seal. DOH!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 10-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #20

Nevada
Just installed my traveler for directv. Hardest part getting unit on the roof and it wasn't that bad. Located mine just behind front ac unit. There a clearance measurement of I think 35 inches from the center of the unit in all directions. I mounted mine on the center line of the roof. Drilling holes in the roof absolutely no problem. I drilled mine after some inspection from the inside and it worked perfectly. The largest 1/2 inch accommodates satellite controller connector. Installation package includes 1 roof cable plate and I had to purchase 1 more. Make sure you use the large mounting plate. It goes down first and the sat unit on top. Really enjoyed doing install. Just had our rig out for a boondocks adventure in the Sierra. Big trees and one appeared to be in the way. Normally it takes a couple of minutes to locate satellites but with trees after 4 minutes I thought we would have move. The unit keep doing its thing and at about 5 1/2 minutes it dialed in satellites even with the tree. Worked perfectly I am extremely happy with this unit!!! If you have any questions about install give me a holler.

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote