Direct Tv SWM satellite antenna - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 10:57 PM   #41

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Not to steal the thread but you're already replacing your awnings? Why?
Fair question... 3 reasons actually. (short answer, skip to #3)

1) I was a newbie to RV'ing when I bought the rig, and wasn't familiar with all of the little maintenance things that needed to be done. One of the neglected areas was awning care. On one of my first outings, it rained my last night there... and into the morning of departure. I rolled the awning up as part of the packing up the rig, and traveled home. At home, the rig sat in the driveway, as it was, for 3 weeks or so in the summer heat before I took it out again. Upon arrival, I extended the awning to find that it had badly mildewed during the time it was rolled up for an extended time. The mildew was so bad, I really couldn't get it all scrubbed off... but managed the best I could. Lesson learned... don't leave a wet awning rolled up for an extended period of time.

2) Intrigued by the awning lights mounted on the roller-tube of the newer rigs, I began trying to figure out a way to rig up my own set. I bought the kit from Carefree, and thought it would be a simple install. Wrong... there was no clean way to install power to it without having to plug & unplug a wire to it each time the awning was extended & retracted. What a PITA. I then found out that the way they are wired from the factory so that isn't necessary, is that the wiring is woven into the side-seam hem of the awning canopy itself. So I began contemplating whether I wanted to try to attach/sew the wire to my awning, or buy a new one...

3) I was still debating that issue when I happen to look up one day and discover that my main awning had ripped at the top. Upon arrival here in AZ this year, I had decided to install a sun blocker shade to the awning, and stake it to the ground because of the high winds that are frequent here. I got home one day, and found that the awning had ripped about 8-inches at the top near the plasticord that mounts on the side to the rig. (Found my mistake was not having springs at the tie-downs, but that's another topic)

So that was the final straw... I figured I'd order a new canopy, only this one would have the power cord for the LED lights sewn in. And since I was going to replace one, I figured I may as well replace them both. They aren't that expensive... about $260 each.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:08 AM   #42

British Columbia
Ain't it always the same, you buy your stuff the year before the upgrade happens or there is a major price reduction.

Been caught more than once. Anybody remember the first Stereo VHS players or the rear screen projector TVs?

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #43
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Ain't it always the same, you buy your stuff the year before the upgrade happens or there is a major price reduction.

Been caught more than once. Anybody remember the first Stereo VHS players or the rear screen projector TVs?
Wanna buy a gently used Betamax

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:33 AM   #44

Arizona
Took delivery today of a Trav'ler SK-SWM3 roof-mount Directv satellite dish. Tomorrow the huge mounting plate is scheduled to arrive and installation will begin. We recently upgraded our home Directv to the Genie system, which necessitated getting the Trav'ler to get the proper HD signal to the Genie system.

I plan on not using any of the trailer's coax so the air antenna and park cable won't be affected. The Genie uses wireless 'clients' at each TV that only need 110v and HDMI to the TV. From what I've been reading, the dish will mount aft of the front A/C and I'll drop the two cables through the roof and into the back of the entertainment center.

The primary TV uses HDMI between the TV and DVR box while the sat. dish uses its own coax cable into the the DVR box. The wireless mini's will be mounted behind their respective TV's and will be operated via RF signal from the remote; no line-of-sight necessary.

We'll have 3 of the 4 TV's equipped with Genie's and the Genie TV's can all watch different channels at the same time. Also, no more fighting my tri-pod mounted round dish trying to find the 101satellite with our previous Directv system. Yeah!
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:37 AM   #45

Nevada
Have had my traveler for a about 90 days couldn't be more pleased. Installation was basically easy. Hardest part mounting receivers. If you have any questions give me a holler

Bill
Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #46

Michigan
Question on this topic - I recently had the Genie system installed in my house, but the minies aren't wireless. They are connected to the same old coax that leads to a "splitter box" installed the basement. Are there wireless and non-wireless Genies?
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #47

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Question on this topic - I recently had the Genie system installed in my house, but the minies aren't wireless. They are connected to the same old coax that leads to a "splitter box" installed the basement. Are there wireless and non-wireless Genies?
Yes, the wired clients have been out for quite some time...the wireless clients were limited release in certain areas until recently. I know when we got out Voltage in Nov 2014, the wireless clients weren't in all areas of CA yet, but they were in JAX, FL for instance.

When I had inquired, I was told they were limited release because of the streaming quality. They were still making some hardware changes. They had also cautioned me against buying from an online retailer, as the market was being flooded with the older equipment...they were working feverishly to keep up with the Dish Hopper. DirecTV is a bit more complex, where Dish is a pretty simple aim in a general direction and call it good. Having to hit multiple satellites (manually as I do) is a royal pain....but that was not your question.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:28 PM   #48

Nevada
Direct Tv SWM satellite antenna

I have none wireless genies at home and they work well. The sub receivers are small and take up very little space. On my rv system direct wouldn't let me have a second genie system although, some have mentioned on this forum that direc has allowed them. If you should use genie system that is wired the traveler would need a coax cable to each tv. With SWM system to view recorded programming from Dvr/receiver you do not have to run cabling to sub receivers from Dvr . My Dvr/receiver hr-24
Is older but works with a mini sub receiver h-25. With SWM you can view recorder material from Dvr without another physical connection. Genie Dvr can do more recording and hopefully someday I can upgrade but all in all the system really works well. One very important situation is to make sure in your installation to use rg 6 coax and when you connect cable to receivers or dish you need wrench tighten coax cables. On the roof where coax connects to dish I tightened and then covered connector with silicone. On my current trip I had a couple instances where I received a 771 error code which is lack of signal strength. Checked coax connect on back of Dvr although it was hand tight it wasn't wrench tight once I tightened there were no more error codes.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #49

Arizona
Got the antenna mounted on the roof. Went through 2.5 tubes of sealant (can't have too much, lol). Fired it up a few times and it found the satellites each time, no issues. Now to finish up the inside work. Gotta add some 110v outlets, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0612.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0615.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0614.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	2705  
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #50

British Columbia
Quote:
Got the antenna mounted on the roof. Went through 2.5 tubes of sealant (can't have too much, lol). Fired it up a few times and it found the satellites each time, no issues. Now to finish up the inside work. Gotta add some 110v outlets, etc.
Do those dishes use any proprietary software to find the satellites or is it looking for them once the box is powered?

We don't use the TV much when we're travelling, but once we get set up it would be nice to be able to use the system we have at home.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #51

Nevada
Direct Tv SWM satellite antenna

Very nice install. I was lucky that I had ac at my two tv locations. To bad no wireless ac. Been on the road for a month and my system has been flawless. Just remember to wrench tight all coax connectors!! Cheers
Bill
Old 11-19-2015, 12:53 AM   #52

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Do those dishes use any proprietary software to find the satellites or is it looking for them once the box is powered...
The unit comes with a power box that you place inside the coach. Once powered on, the dish rises from its folded position, and automatically begins searching & locking on to the satellites. There's nothing else you need to do. Takes about 3 minutes max, and it's ready.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 AM   #53

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
The unit comes with a power box that you place inside the coach. Once powered on, the dish rises from its folded position, and automatically begins searching & locking on to the satellites. There's nothing else you need to do. Takes about 3 minutes max, and it's ready.
The days of setting up a tripod mounted antenna and finding satellites are over. Yeah. Now I just gotta finish up the inside and go camping.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:42 AM   #54

Nevada
I agree. It was bite the bullet time travelers are expensive but we use our rv a bunch. I have been out a month on my most recent trip and having a traveler has greatly enhanced the whole deal!!! Park push a button and you have option of satellite TV!!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:59 AM   #55

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
I'm sold.

My shopping list is growing, I hope Black Friday is going to be good to me.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #56

Illinois
I didn't have the guts to install my own. Had CW do it. Neat job on the roof but I had to redo some of the inside box mounting and locations. Love the Traveler. Especially when we were travelling late and just pulled in some place and only using electric or generator. Press a button and done; catch the late night news. 8 months so far and no problems.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #57

New Jersey
install pics

I installed my own with a Genie and yes we have 2 Genies, one is in the house and yes it can be done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3150.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	2721   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3151.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2722  
Real Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:05 PM   #58

Nevada
Nice. They wouldn't sell me a genie. Maybe regional deal
Old 11-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #59

British Columbia
Quote:
The days of setting up a tripod mounted antenna and finding satellites are over. Yeah. Now I just gotta finish up the inside and go camping.
Don't you mean go camping, then finish up the inside?

You guys are killing my lifestyle account, this is another one of them gotta haves.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:02 AM   #60

Nevada
It is the bomb!!!