Dehumidifier - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #1

Maryland
Dehumidifier

Hey all,

Its been a while since I have been around...been working nearly around the clock, then the holidays stepped in...

Winter coolness is trying to move in and with the cold comes a lot of furnace time...which ultimately means no dehumidifying of the inside air. I am thinking of putting a dehumidifier in the main living space (next to the couch...) and running a drain tube out the slide seal for drainage. My question...would a dehumidifier rated for 1,000-1,500 sqft actually dehumidify the whole trailer (not a math question...trailer is only 420ish sqft) or do I need to look at alternatives for something like the bathroom? I guess I am asking if the unit would treat the whole trailer space as a homogenous air mass or would the unit cycle on/off because the humidity in the direct vicinity of the unit would meet the desired setting??

Thanks,
Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

British Columbia
Cale,

We use the same method in our camper as we do at home, that is to exhaust the humid air.

We have a hydrometer beside the t-stat, as the humidity rises we crack open the vent fans and adjust the speed according to the amount of humidity we need to reduce.

At home this is an automatic process, as the fans are controlled by humidistats. I'm going to add h-stats to the camper so we don't have to worry about keeping an eye on it.

Your camper is about 100' bigger than ours. so you may need to add the dehumidifier. I would be placing it as close to the center of the camper as I could get it. Then supplement it with the fans.

We leave all the cabinet doors and closets open so you get some air circulating in them as well. The curtains and shades are left open as well, during the day.

If you only have singel glazed windows, the condensation on them will be more that double glazed, so you may want to wipe them down occasionally.

In the cooler corners you may what to uuse some calcium cloride (dri z air) in these areas.

Hope this helps.

Jim

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:09 PM   #3

British Columbia
Cale

I was in my local auto parts store yesterday and came across a small dehumidifier called Eva-dry. It uses silica gel to pull the moisture out of the air and regenerates by plugging it in for a day.

It claims to dehumidify 1000 square feet and can be hung from from an included hook.

Being as I'm almost out of calcium cloride and I don't have a chemical suppy close by I bought one to try it. It cost me $40.00 CAD.

Could be a good solution for you if your still looking for something.

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:10 PM   #4

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
Cale

I was in my local auto parts store yesterday and came across a small dehumidifier called Eva-dry. It uses silica gel to pull the moisture out of the air and regenerates by plugging it in for a day.

It claims to dehumidify 1000 square feet and can be hung from from an included hook.

Being as I'm almost out of calcium cloride and I don't have a chemical suppy close by I bought one to try it. It cost me $40.00 CAD.

Could be a good solution for you if your still looking for something.

Jim
Don't waste your money on those, I put 3 of them in my tiny camper and they couldn't keep up, not to mention the fact you have to plug them in every few days to recharge, I ended up using them in my camper fridges.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:52 AM   #5

Maryland
All, thanks for the info so far....however, recently we have been running the AC during the day...keeps it drier, the animals have fur, and it will suffice until I figure something else out...having a thermostat that is smart and can set different temp points throughout the day is nice. I just set it to force the AC to run.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote