Cross Country Trip - Page 3 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #41

Nevada
Cale:
We had the same circumstances, had to come back from Yellowstone, and go all the way to Fremont, CA….Rushing with all things you have to think about with an RV is turf enough, when everything slows down, then worry about the slide, My 3895 is like 1/2 inch out from the left side looking towards the RV….It works good, so I don't want to mess with it, It rained real good when we were driving from Yellowstone and we didn't have any leaks…..I don't get any popping noise,

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #42

Michigan
No rush on the pics, Cale. Take care of your family first. Thoughts and prayers going out

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:23 PM   #43

Colorado
Rich,

Where did you stay in Yellowstone?

We stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA for six nights starting Sunday, July 12th.

Yup, it sure knows how to rain in that country!!!

No leaks, no problems, just a good time!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #44

Maryland
Don,

Cleaning, packing, and lubricating things today for our departure tomorrow...I noticed that what I thought was the gib is what Lippert calls the shoe... slid out again. I vaguely remember the wall column flexing to the outside, which is why it keeps ending up out there...see attached photo below...also, here is from the Lippert site, http://lci1.com/assets/content/suppo...%20Webpage.pdf

I also noticed today, from feeling on the inside of the slide with the couch, on the left side as you are looking at it on the inside, the bottom is about a half inch closer to the wall, once retracted, the top outside corner is flush, while the bottom is about a half inch out.

I am not going to do a whole lot with it, as I do not need to get stuck anywhere at the moment. I have been emailing and calling Dutchmen to no avail. I would like to get this on their books with the hopes they will honor warranty work after mine expires 1NOV15. We do have an XtraRide Platinum "policy" or warranty, whatever you would like to call it...they are great and easy to work with, if this drags on after our warranty, I may give them a call to see if I can get it fixed with a smal. Deductible out of pocket.

Cale
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	2405  

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #45

Texas
Cale,

As I neared the end of my warranty I tried to call / email Dutchman to document a few issues I had as the local dealer could not get me on their schedule until after the warranty expired. I was told that a dealer had to inspect any warranty items prior to the expiration of the warranty to have them covered, then if any repairs had to be made after the warranty ran out because of scheduling or parts they would be honored.

I had to drive my trailer back to the dealer in Dallas to meet this deadline.

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #46

Michigan
Thank you, Cale. Now we know what to watch for. I hope they're able to resolve this for you.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 06:32 PM   #47

Nevada
Pirate: We stayed at the Red Rock RV Park, near Island Park Idaho, someone told us about this place on this web site, and we loved it, Its about 20 mins from Yellowstone, its close to Lake Henry, where one of our friends went fishing everyday, had fish once a week, Good place to go ATVing, small RV park, so you have to request early, quiet, good views, real good place if you have dog, you can let them run...
Old 08-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #48

Maryland
Well, we finally made it to MD, not quite the trip we wanted to have, but none the less, all here and safe. Very rural out here, the post office is about the size of the Voltage garage, very quaint and everyone know each other...

I had two problems with the Voltage while on the road....one was a broken weld on the main entry steps and the other is the main slide acting up, both of which had emails sent to Keystone (through the Dutchmen site). I received a call from Keystone on Friday. The lady I spoke to was great. She said she asked for pictures of the steps and the broken weld and also the receipt all to be emailed to her, so she can process the payment for me. For the slide, she asked that I take it to a dealer to have fixed soonest, when I told her that it may be a month or so, since we just moved here, she annotated it in my record and sent me a case number authorizing repair if it is after my warranty expiration. We are going to do some looking around, since we are planning on living in the Voltage here for the foreseeable future. I am not against dragging it a couple of hours away if I can be sure it is repaired properly and hopefully quickly.

I do have some pics of the rest of our trip, I will get them up later. The bad thing about where we are, I am hot spotting everything. Will have to get the internet under control before I end up with a hefty wireless bill.

Cale

Old 08-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #49

Nevada
Cale: Glad you made it, a long trip....Wow you must have found one of only a few good people working for Keystone....I too will be having my repairs done Sept10, after fighting with them since January, I should say it was the Dealer, that didn't have time for us....But it took only 4months to get the parts and set up an appointment for repairs, once they had time to look at what was in need of repairs. Good Luck over there, A big change from California...
Old 08-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #50

Oklahoma
Unfortunately most dealers don't stock slide parts so it's usually the ole bring it in and we'll take a look. If it's a warranty repair the process has to be approved, naturally, and naturally consuming more time. Then, if the parts provider has done a good job in sending the correct parts and the dealer has an opening when the parts arrive you may be repaired rather quickly. Hopefully that will be the case. The last time mine went in for slide repair I was forced to stay in a cheesy motel for three months, of which Dutchman puked up two months rent.
If you go in with the onset of winter go ahead and winterize, the dealer will do it for you of course but Dutchman won't pay for it because it's a 'maintenance' thing. Mine went in in August and was there until November and had to be winterized because of impending cold weather.
I ended up being out of pocket for about 6 hundred bucks because of the things they refused to cover that were in direct connection with the slide failure.
My slides have been extended since December and will not be retracted until the house is finished and I've moved in. I'm not taking any chances regardless of how well the dealer did the repairs.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 11:42 PM   #51

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNevada View Post
Cale: Glad you made it, a long trip....Wow you must have found one of only a few good people working for Keystone....I too will be having my repairs done Sept10, after fighting with them since January, I should say it was the Dealer, that didn't have time for us....But it took only 4months to get the parts and set up an appointment for repairs, once they had time to look at what was in need of repairs. Good Luck over there, A big change from California...
Thanks, we are happy to be back on the East Coast...

We drove about 5,200 miles for this trip, with only 9 days of actual driving, and a cost of $1700 for fuel.

We had one long day of 800 miles...I will never do that again if I can help it, took too long to recover afterwards.

I am going to hunker down in three weeks and start dealing with the slides. We are retrieving our second RV, a Fleetwood Nitrous Toy Hauler. We like it because it is considerably smaller, with a generator, large holding tanks, and we can get into any campground we want...at only 23 feet long.

Keep us posted on the repairs

Cale

Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 PM   #52

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
Unfortunately most dealers don't stock slide parts so it's usually the ole bring it in and we'll take a look. If it's a warranty repair the process has to be approved, naturally, and naturally consuming more time. Then, if the parts provider has done a good job in sending the correct parts and the dealer has an opening when the parts arrive you may be repaired rather quickly. Hopefully that will be the case. The last time mine went in for slide repair I was forced to stay in a cheesy motel for three months, of which Dutchman puked up two months rent.
If you go in with the onset of winter go ahead and winterize, the dealer will do it for you of course but Dutchman won't pay for it because it's a 'maintenance' thing. Mine went in in August and was there until November and had to be winterized because of impending cold weather.
I ended up being out of pocket for about 6 hundred bucks because of the things they refused to cover that were in direct connection with the slide failure.
My slides have been extended since December and will not be retracted until the house is finished and I've moved in. I'm not taking any chances regardless of how well the dealer did the repairs.
Thanks for the info. As we are fulltime in our unit, we will be trying to figure out a way to make this less painless than needed. Looking at the slide and the Schwintek hardware, I am seriously hoping that the wall itself needs to be repaired and not the slide hardware. We do have a second trailer, though it is half the length, I would like to hear more about how you got them to pay for a stay at a hotel.

Cale

Old 08-11-2015, 02:00 AM   #53

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Thanks for the info. As we are fulltime in our unit, we will be trying to figure out a way to make this less painless than needed. Looking at the slide and the Schwintek hardware, I am seriously hoping that the wall itself needs to be repaired and not the slide hardware. We do have a second trailer, though it is half the length, I would like to hear more about how you got them to pay for a stay at a hotel.

Cale
The last time I was in for slide repairs was the second time for slide repairs. The first lasted about 9 months, 50 miles and 4 1/2 operations.
I complained enough to get them to pay for the rent but I had to come up with receipts. I also managed to get them to pay for one trip from the mobile mechanic, I actually had to have him out three different times because the slide had to be back in for the trip to Tulsa.
Of course they gave me the 'good faith' BS because it states in the RV paperwork that lodging isn't covered.
They have a great lip service that makes one feel as if they care but if they did care there would be follow up to make sure everything is satisfactory. It seems as if they are maxed out, the crack opens wide and one falls very far. As mentioned before, calls aren't answered or returned, the paper trail is long and convoluted.
I hope your experience goes well, don't put too much in the fact Keystone is handling the claim, that's who did mine the last time.
If you are going to stay in the other RV just get someone to dummy up the receipts. They aren't too picky about them being official receipts, it's just something someone needs to send to someone else for approval for payment.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote