Cross Country Trip - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #21

Texas
Cale. We had a short delay, replaced the China grenades with 6 new good year marathons. Made it to Eagleville MO about 9:30. Wife, kids and dogs where all tuckered out. MN today. Safe travels to WI and beyond. Enjoy the I80 stop, it's pretty impressive. Keep her between the weeds and roll on.

Bergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:34 AM   #22

Florida
Hey Cale,
How heavy did you say you are running? A bridge on I-10 collapses just after you transit the area.... Coincidance????? LOL

Glad nobody was seriously injured.

Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:17 AM   #23

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergy View Post
Cale. We had a short delay, replaced the China grenades with 6 new good year marathons. Made it to Eagleville MO about 9:30. Wife, kids and dogs where all tuckered out. MN today. Safe travels to WI and beyond. Enjoy the I80 stop, it's pretty impressive. Keep her between the weeds and roll on.
Good to hear! We made it, though it was a long day riddled with lots of construction. We are glad we are keeping our travels to the weekend, I would have hated to deal with yesterday's construction and weekday traffic stupidity.

Cale
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #24

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Hey Cale,
How heavy did you say you are running? A bridge on I-10 collapses just after you transit the area.... Coincidance????? LOL

Glad nobody was seriously injured.
We are sitting at a combined weight of 30k pounds.

We had gone to the north on I-40. Just read an article about it....that bridge was deemed functionally obsolete in 2014, though it was suppose to be structurally sound....I guess the 20k cars each day combined with the sudden rains did not bode well for it. There are probably many other bridges throughout our road system (interstate and highways alike) that are in the same situation.

We did make it to WI yesterday. We are having some slide problems. I may be able to rig something up to make it work the rest of the trip, lucky it is the lightest of the slides...

Cale
Old 07-20-2015, 10:29 PM   #25

Maryland
Cale, What's your ETA to your final destination in Maryland?

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:04 AM   #26

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMEY3600 View Post
Cale, What's your ETA to your final destination in Maryland?
Looking to arrive the second week in August. Going to finish up here, roll to SC next week, the. To my dad's for his birthday... We have been trying like hell to see everyone we have missed these last two years.

Have to give my main slide some attention this week with the hopes that it keeps working the rest of this trip. Are there any knowledgable repair services in the area that are smart on the Schwintek system?

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #27

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by calewjohnson View Post
Have to give my main slide some attention this week with the hopes that it keeps working the rest of this trip. Are there any knowledgable repair services in the area that are smart on the Schwintek system?Cale

What is the slide doing? From your posts your are spending a lot of time at rest areas and truck stops. Are you unhooking from your truck and leveling up or just running your slides out no matter how you sit? It makes a difference .
arlan in arizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:21 PM   #28

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlan in arizona View Post
What is the slide doing? From your posts your are spending a lot of time at rest areas and truck stops. Are you unhooking from your truck and leveling up or just running your slides out no matter how you sit? It makes a difference .
When we overnight at rest stops, I ensure I am level front to back, then manually level using left or right jacks for side to side. Once completed, I only run out the kitchen slide so we can have access to the kitchen and what not.

When we got to our current destination, we did our normal unhook and level. Then we ran the slides out, the main slide with the couch popped loudly at the top corner...we ran it back in and I got a ladder to watch the mechanism operate, there was a piece of metal in the track, looks like what Lippert refers to as a "gib". When we ran the slide back in, I used a screw driver to force it back into place, at that time, I noticed a lot of slide frame flex at the top...I am going to use the lube as per Lippert and install some screws near the top of the frame, as there doesn't seem to be as many on that slide as the others....

Cale
Old 07-21-2015, 08:31 PM   #29

Arizona
Quote:
When we overnight at rest stops, I ensure I am level front to back, then manually level using left or right jacks for side to side. Once completed, I only run out the kitchen slide so we can have access to the kitchen and what not.
Cale
That sounds appropriate for just and over night stop.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #30

Arizona
Quote:
When we got to our current destination, we did our normal unhook and level. Then we ran the slides out, the main slide with the couch popped loudly at the top corner...we ran it back in and I got a ladder to watch the mechanism operate, there was a piece of metal in the track, looks like what Lippert refers to as a "gib". When we ran the slide back in, I used a screw driver to force it back into place, at that time, I noticed a lot of slide frame flex at the top...I am going to use the lube as per Lippert and install some screws near the top of the frame, as there doesn't seem to be as many on that slide as the others....

Cale
Again, this sound appropriate and I have experienced the same problem early on in my slide operations.

I am familiar with the small piece of metal you speak of. I took and pushed it back in place with a screwdriver. It will not stay put so to hell with it.

I had the popping at the top left area of my slide. I watched the videos and tried to order the "appropriate" lube with no luck. I use "Tri-Flow" dry lubricate on many of my projects. It works well.

So, on the the popping I was having. After lubing it and running it "fully" in and out a half dozen time. The popping has stopped. I lube my slides with the Tri-Flow every couple of months and the slides have been great for the past year or more.

One other thing you have probably read is to always run the slide from full closed to full open and vise verse and do not stop before they stop.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #31

Maryland
Quote:
Again, this sound appropriate and I have experienced the same problem early on in my slide operations.

I am familiar with the small piece of metal you speak of. I took and pushed it back in place with a screwdriver. It will not stay put so to hell with it.

I had the popping at the top left area of my slide. I watched the videos and tried to order the "appropriate" lube with no luck. I use "Tri-Flow" dry lubricate on many of my projects. It works well.

So, on the the popping I was having. After lubing it and running it "fully" in and out a half dozen time. The popping has stopped. I lube my slides with the Tri-Flow every couple of months and the slides have been great for the past year or more.

One other thing you have probably read is to always run the slide from full closed to full open and vise verse and do not stop before they stop.

Can I pick up the Tri-Flow at the local Auto Zone or what not? I will give that a shot. Have you had slide work done, or has it started acting right?

As far as slide ops concerned, yes, I always go in or out without stopping, I am so anal about it, I am the only one that operates the slides...and only after I check, double check, and recheck to ensure there will be no reason to stop during slide operation.

I am also in the habit of holding the button in or out 10 seconds after operation is complete, as per the suggestion of a few others...however, I think that by doing that, it has caused an already weak in wall slide frame to flex and bow. I will try only running to contact to see how it works...which will not be putting so much torque on the frame from the motors.

I am also contemplating putting a piece of metal on the inside and on the outside using a carriage bolt from the outside and the nut inside. I think if done properly, the carriage bolt will be flat outside and the nut will be hidden by the molding on the inside. This should make the in wall slide frame and RV wall a single solid piece.

When I noticed the little piece of metal, this was the first time I noticed that the slide rocks (fore/aft) during operation. I wonder if that one little piece supports the slide?? It would be nice if some could be attached such that it sits on either slide within the slot, thus forcing that metal piece to stay in place...I think the initial loud pops I heard was that piece of metal being forced past the motor...

Cale

Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #32

Arizona
I have found Tri-Flow at different places. ie, autozone, walmart, oreileys, ace hardware. etc. It is a good product that does not leave a wet residue.

On running the slides from stop to stop. I don't hear any operation for more than a second or so after the slide has stoped.

The popping sound was scary. I think what it was going on was the gear and slide rail were slipping a tooth. I could see it jumping when it happened.

My suggestion would be. Level up, lube the heck out of gears and rail and run stop to stop several times. I had my wife hold the button while I leaned on and or pull the slide in it's operation. Kind of to get a feel as to what was happening. After lubing and running it. The popping stopped. I can't say this will work in all cases, but it did in mine.

I had an appointment with Camping World, Avondale AZ but was lucky enough to get the popping to quit before taking it in.

Best of luck your the slide issue.

Arlan
Old 07-22-2015, 12:02 AM   #33

Maryland
Unfortunately I know of no one immediately but its a rather common system. There is an RV dealer with a service center approximately 20 min north of here.....Economy RV....as well as I know of another RV repairman that travels to site if needed.

Curt and Dee

2015 Voltage 3600, Yel/Blk/Slvr Full Body Paint
2013 GMC 3500 Dually with Duramax
CDMEY3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM   #34

Michigan
Cale - any chance you have a picture of the "gib" so that the rest of can take a look for this?
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #35

California
WD40 makes the same lube that is called for. It's what I use.
WD 40 Lubricant Dirt Dust Oil Resistant Dry Lube PTFE Spray Corrosion Rust 10 Oz | eBay
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:32 AM   #36

Maryland
Hey everyone,

Sorry it has been a while...literally within a couple hours of my last post, we received a call saying the wife's dad was in the hospital and the outlook was bleak, this was sudden and unexpected. We hastily packed everything up and rolled from WI at 0530 the next morning. We drove 809 miles in 16.2 hours to Spartanburg, SC. I dropped the wife off at the hospital the next day, then ran the kids to my dad's place in Kingsport, TN, then did a return trip in one day. I have been playing gopher for everyone here to help ease the impending tragedy...

I have some pics and updates, give me a little time to get them squared away.

Cale

Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 AM   #37

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
Cale - any chance you have a picture of the "gib" so that the rest of can take a look for this?
We had to quickly roll the next morning...I couldn't find the suggested lube, so I used the can of lube that Lippert recommends. I was very liberal with it on all the rails. When I pulled the slide in, it did pop again, but I stopped as soon as contact happened. A quick look outside showed that the rear side of the slide (the right side as looking at the trailer) was about a half inch from being pulled tight. When we arrived in SC that evening, I put it back out...no popping and the gib was still somewhat in place. I will take some pics with it in place to show what I see.

On another note, I have been staring at the anemic filters used for the main AC unit. I have picked up two 12x12 vents (since I can get actual 12x12 filters from Wally World or the other usual suspects). I am going to make a low profile box to house the filter and mount the new vent...I will have some legitimate filters!! I will do that write up for the Mods Thread.

Cale

Old 07-27-2015, 02:48 AM   #38

Maryland
Quote:
I have found Tri-Flow at different places. ie, autozone, walmart, oreileys, ace hardware. etc. It is a good product that does not leave a wet residue.

On running the slides from stop to stop. I don't hear any operation for more than a second or so after the slide has stoped.

The popping sound was scary. I think what it was going on was the gear and slide rail were slipping a tooth. I could see it jumping when it happened.

My suggestion would be. Level up, lube the heck out of gears and rail and run stop to stop several times. I had my wife hold the button while I leaned on and or pull the slide in it's operation. Kind of to get a feel as to what was happening. After lubing and running it. The popping stopped. I can't say this will work in all cases, but it did in mine.

I had an appointment with Camping World, Avondale AZ but was lucky enough to get the popping to quit before taking it in.

Best of luck your the slide issue.

Arlan
Arlan,

By chance, have you ever noticed if the slide is flush on both sides once the slide is fully in?

Cale

Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 AM   #39

Colorado
Cale,

Now that you ask...the front of the living area slide of our 3800 is out about 1/2" when the slide is all the way in, and the rear is fully "closed".

Interesting that when extending the rear continues to move that 1/2" after the front edge has stopped.

What can one do about the misalignment?

Thanks,

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #40
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Hey everyone,

Sorry it has been a while...literally within a couple hours of my last post, we received a call saying the wife's dad was in the hospital and the outlook was bleak, this was sudden and unexpected. We hastily packed everything up and rolled from WI at 0530 the next morning. We drove 809 miles in 16.2 hours to Spartanburg, SC. I dropped the wife off at the hospital the next day, then ran the kids to my dad's place in Kingsport, TN, then did a return trip in one day. I have been playing gopher for everyone here to help ease the impending tragedy...

I have some pics and updates, give me a little time to get them squared away.

Cale

Cale you have our condolences and prayers, we have been dealing with similar circumstances since before Memorial Day. Seems every time we plan something, an emergency breaks out that requires our presence.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote