Coleman 300tq - Page 12 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2018, 05:02 AM   #221

Texas
Thanks to 1|243 my TV mod is done

Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:24 AM   #222

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndsumcamping View Post
That looks good. How does that slide look when it comes in? Funny when I did mine I did not give the slide clearance a second thought or a first thought for that matter and was pretty glad when it cleared.

Here are some pics of how I strapped the TV just in-case.
Sorry I did not see your question on the bolts sooner.

Plus a cover for storage my wife made

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #223

Texas
Nice cover, yea I read what you said about the slide. It clears fine. Back of tv actually fits inside of hole so that front only comes out half an inch. I ordered the same mounting dream mount and that kit is awesome. Accidentally poked through with 1 bolt. Got 1in bolts and added 3 washers which seemed perfect. Appreciate you answering my questions. We are taking it out for first time tomorrow
Ndsumcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #224

Colorado
Nellis AFB was a great trip. The rig pulled fine with no sway. Gas mileage really sucked though. Of course, that was a lot of climbing on all those hills. The sites on base are awesome. They did a great job updating that place. They are working on the internet for the new area but I didn't seem to miss it really. Phones worked fine with Sprint as our service provider.
william.herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM   #225

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by william.herold View Post
Nellis AFB was a great trip. The rig pulled fine with no sway. Gas mileage really sucked though. Of course, that was a lot of climbing on all those hills. The sites on base are awesome. They did a great job updating that place. They are working on the internet for the new area but I didn't seem to miss it really. Phones worked fine with Sprint as our service provider.
Nellie is an awesome place. I was stationed there... there is so much to do in the area besides gambling. I’m looking forward to going back soon.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #226

Texas
I think I saw this earlier in the thread, but can someone confirm that the rear happijack bed is queen sized?
Considering picking up a 2016 next week.

Thanks!
ElJefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #227

Illinois
Both Happijack beds in my 2015 3990 (which is for sale by the way) are queens.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 12:59 AM   #228

Oregon
Exterior TV Wall Mount. I want to add a exterior TV mount to the outside of my 300tq Toy Hauler. The mounting location would be about 14" above the refrigerator vent. The problem is where are the studs.
When I pull the refrigerator vent cover and look at the area around the opening it looks like they used really thick plywood in this area but not sure. Also when you look up between the wall and the back of the refrigerator you see that the inside of the wall is sheathed and you can't see any studs.
Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #229

Florida
Noob question

Hi guys! New here, just bought a 2018 300tq. It was a privet sale, no dealer. Read through this thread before pulling the trigger. Seems like i will be happy with my decision.

Got a real quick question. Can anyone tell me the tongue height from level ground? I need to pick up a hitch to get it home. I want to make sure i get the correct rise or drop for my F350.

Looking forward to years and insight and information from this forum!

Thanks!!
xboxhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM   #230

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxhacker View Post
Hi guys! New here, just bought a 2018 300tq. It was a privet sale, no dealer. Read through this thread before pulling the trigger. Seems like i will be happy with my decision.

Got a real quick question. Can anyone tell me the tongue height from level ground? I need to pick up a hitch to get it home. I want to make sure i get the correct rise or drop for my F350.

Looking forward to years and insight and information from this forum!

Thanks!!
You want the top of the ball to be at 26 to 27 inches from the ground depending how much your truck will squat when you load the trailer.

You will want a Weight Distribution Hitch

My first WDH was 10,000 lbs which was too light I later went with a 15.000 lb WDH Trunion style...

Your head and ball height on your WDH is adjustable for your proper ball height.

If you have a scale near your house it would be a good idea to weight your truck empty when going to pick up the trailer and again with the trailer hitched to the truck. You will get to know your tongue weight with your trailer hitched on the truck empty and then weigh again when you have the trailer loaded with all your stuff and toys.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM   #231

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJefe View Post
I think I saw this earlier in the thread, but can someone confirm that the rear happijack bed is queen sized?
Considering picking up a 2016 next week.

Thanks!
In my 2017 300tq the bed is 60x84 which makes it a queen...
Old 05-20-2018, 07:06 AM   #232

Oregon
On the way out with the 300tq this weekend I weighed the truck and trailer loaded and thought I would share the numbers.

Truck loaded but without trailer
Front axle 4150

Rear Axle 4000

With loaded trailer connected to the truck.
Front Axle 3950

Rear Axle 5550

That's 1550 lbs on TW.
Factorids
I am running four batteries on the Gen Platform on the tongue
I am hauling one Harley Davidson Touring Bike at about 850lbs
I am only hauling about 20 gallons of water
I have a 15k Weight distribution hitch with trunnion bars and two friction anti sway bars
I would be interested in seeing your numbers.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #233

Oregon
I am a little light on the front axle after loading the trailer. When I get home I am going to add extra washer and tilt the head so I can grab a extra link and see that does to the weights.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #234

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1l243 View Post
I am a little light on the front axle after loading the trailer. When I get home I am going to add extra washer and tilt the head so I can grab a extra link and see that does to the weights.
Got any pictures of the hitch when hooked up and the truck with the RV? 1500 sounds a little heavy.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:16 PM   #235

Oregon
I do but can't post them here but I am not surprised on the weight. When tpwed it home from the dealet the day I bought it I stopped at the scales and the TWO was 1750 lbs. At the time I had a underrated 10k ADJ full water tank and nothing in the back of thd toy hauler.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 AM   #236

Oregon
Here we were on the Oregon Coast. Great weather and motorcycle riding...
Old 06-24-2018, 01:26 PM   #237

New Hampshire
So question for you guys regarding the garage anchors....

I've seen a few mention how poorly they are secured, but haven't accessed the underneath yet to see for myself. 1l243, I saw your pics of the longer screws you added, and wondered how that's worked out for you. My concern was that the metal these longer bolts go into is so far from the floor. This would be good for any straight pulls, but any side pull on the D-rings would be putting that pressure on the floor board itself. And my bigger concern would be the ones that mount into that flimsy metal you showed. As you mentioned, if you tighten to much, you're bending the metal. That also means that the floor board itself might be the stronger part of that equation. If the metal is that thin, it can bend allowing the floor to lift.

I may be over thinking all of this as the draw weight on each ring may not be that much, but not keen on the idea of a floor lifting either I know on my enclosed trailer, all they did was put large steel backing plates directly on the other side of the wood floor. So it's completely attached to the floor only, but the steel rails are pretty close on that. Not sure of the camper floor.

Just looking for thoughts....
Old 06-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #238

Indiana
I put a wheel chock on the floor, bolted thru the same metal as the D rings. I’ve traveled 1500 miles this month pulling a full size Harley in and out. No problems. I tie down on all four corners and across the seat. Rock steady thru distribution to all the D rings
finsgm00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 04:22 PM   #239

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmurdock View Post
So question for you guys regarding the garage anchors....

I've seen a few mention how poorly they are secured, but haven't accessed the underneath yet to see for myself. 1l243, I saw your pics of the longer screws you added, and wondered how that's worked out for you. My concern was that the metal these longer bolts go into is so far from the floor. This would be good for any straight pulls, but any side pull on the D-rings would be putting that pressure on the floor board itself. And my bigger concern would be the ones that mount into that flimsy metal you showed. As you mentioned, if you tighten to much, you're bending the metal. That also means that the floor board itself might be the stronger part of that equation. If the metal is that thin, it can bend allowing the floor to lift.

I may be over thinking all of this as the draw weight on each ring may not be that much, but not keen on the idea of a floor lifting either I know on my enclosed trailer, all they did was put large steel backing plates directly on the other side of the wood floor. So it's completely attached to the floor only, but the steel rails are pretty close on that. Not sure of the camper floor.

Just looking for thoughts....
The outer OEM D rings are bolted through the floor and into the metal I beam of the trailer. On my trailer the bolts you saw in the picture were too short I don't think some even had two or three threads holding it . The longer bolts are 1/4" self tapping and screwing into some pretty thick steel. I don't think they can pull out.

The center d rings are screwed into thin sheet metal. I don't use the center d rings but I decided to beef up the thin metal with some 3/16 steel plate.

All that said I have installed the heavy D rings with backing plates on another Toy Hauler but it did't have a sealed underbelly and was not hard. I really did not want to cut through the membrane on this trailer but after installing A condor wheel chock and cutting through membrane to install the bolts, I was able to seal the membrane with some black 4" Eternabond tape (Amazon) It stick really well and you can hardly tell. So if you want to replace the factory d rings with heavier ones it can be done. I would clean the membrane before cutting of dirt make the cut as small as you can, install your backing plates and then seal with Eternabond.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:29 AM   #240

Oregon
I installed a Vortex II Fan in the Bathroom of my 300tq. The benefit of the Vortex fan is that you don't have to remove the entire vent and deal caulking and maybe damaging the roof in the process.

The Vortex II fan is 5 speed H M and L and H and M reverse.

I think the fan is reasonably quiet even on high. Better than the little obnoxious fan that was in there.

Fairly simple install there are some youtube video's that can help you out if needed.

Of course I had to make thing's a little more complicated. Because my wife in vertically challenged I thought it would be a better Idea to connect the fan to the wall light switch instead of the original fan power source.. The problem that resulted from that was If I want the fan on at night the bathroom light would have to be on. The fix for that was to replace the bathroom lights with with switched lights like you have in the garage. I had one left over from when I replaced the light over the dinette table and I had to order one more. Now on a hot night I can run the fan without have to leave the bathroom lights on.

I also added a metal bracket on the end of the knob so my wife can use a crank handle that I made to raise and lower the vent.

I had read where some were complaining that the fan would make a noise like it was hitting mostly on low and sure enough mine did make a noise. You could actually feel it in the fan housing. When I removed the fan blade to see where it was hitting I noticed that the fan motor was kinda looes in the plastic housing of the fan. I used a two small washers as spacers between the motor and plastic housing to tighten things up. No noise at all now.

This fan is powerful enough to bring in the outside air through the open windows that you can see and feel.