Coach generator with Honda 2000 generator - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Arizona
Coach generator with Honda 2000 generator

I have a 2015 Voltage 3895. My question is about the onboard generator running at the same time the Honda 2000 is running. We run the Honda all day for everything except big items like the A/C units and microwave, but when we want to run the microwave or A/C for 10 minutes we need fire up the big onboard generator to do this. I thought you could do that without having to go outside and shut down the Honda. What happens when we fire up the Big unit it makes the Honda rev up and pop it's breaker. Is something wrong with converter or is not possible to do what I'm trying to do.

Thanks

Bigslick1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

British Columbia
Interesting, sounds like your coach generator is over powering the Honda. I'm pretty sure you need to add a parallel kit into the mix. Not sure if that is possible or not with different sized generators.

You definitely need to stop the feedback into the Honda. Here's a link to another forum with the same topic, might help?

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #3

British Columbia
Oops.
Parallel generators at different size

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #4

Texas
Interesting, I run my Honda EU2000i constantly for battery charging and running small appliances. We crank the big onboard generator on a 2014 voltage 3818 without shutting off the Honda to run the microwave. This works fine for us, the onan automatically takes over as the power source and the Honda only idles with no current drawing from it. When we turn the onan generator off, the lights and tv will flicker for 1/2 a second until the Honda resumes taking over as the power source. I have done this without problems for 2 years when dry camping.

2014 Voltage 3818
brandon_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #5

Arizona
Yes. That's the way it's supposed to go. All my friends trailers and motorhomes work that way. I'm thinking that Dutchman messed up the way they wired the transfer switch. That's why it's called a transfer switch, it takes the power from shore power to coach power all by itself. I think they have the shore power as primary and the coach as secondary so when the micro wave comes on the Honda is still the primary because it is sending power to the transfer switch and the coach generator doesn't take over. Camping World thinks I'm crazy for thinking this is the way it supposed to work, but don't get me started on their ass's.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:40 PM   #6

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigslick1000 View Post
Yes. That's the way it's supposed to go. All my friends trailers and motorhomes work that way. I'm thinking that Dutchman messed up the way they wired the transfer switch. That's why it's called a transfer switch, it takes the power from shore power to coach power all by itself. I think they have the shore power as primary and the coach as secondary so when the micro wave comes on the Honda is still the primary because it is sending power to the transfer switch and the coach generator doesn't take over. Camping World thinks I'm crazy for thinking this is the way it supposed to work, but don't get me started on their ass's.
Sounds like you already know where to look for your issue, the transfer switch.
I just want to make sure I under stand how you are running power from your Honda... Are you hooking in the shore power cord to the Honda? If so, you are correct, it should switch over as soon as the onboard genset is running. If you are somehow plugging it into an outlet on the camper and feeding circuits that way, that would be an issue (not saying this is what you are doing, but someone might try that ).

Here is a good RV Tech Mag article which may help, even though you sound like you know what the issue is....
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #7

Arizona
Thanks for the reply. Yes I use the shore power cord to the Honda. Now trying to get the dealer to understand the problem is like talking to a group of monkey's. They just don't get it. I even told them to call the manufacture like I did and they are still clueless.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #8

Florida
In that case, sure sounds like one set of the contacts on the shore power side of the transfer switch have arced together and is not releasing when the gen set is running to take over the load.
If you are comfortable using a multimeter you can check it by first turning off all 110 volt power (shore and gen) and do a continuity check between the two input sections of relays on the transfer switch. Just check from the black wire on one to the black wire on the other, do the same for the white, red, and green wires. There should be NO continuity between the two seperate relay inputs. If there is, you found your problem.
Depending on the location of the transfer switch, they are not too difficult to change (and much cheaper than a dealer doing it for you!).

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote