Check your tanks when you can! - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #1

Michigan
Check your tanks when you can!

2014 V3305: Some Dutchment moron during assembly, put two screws into the frame directly under the fresh water tank. Of course it took almost 2 years of a 1 year warranty for the weight of the tank going down the road a rub a hole in the tank where those screws were incorrectly located.
It took me 2 seasons to finally get around to repairing their shoddy workmanship and quality control because of a medical issue I had.

The first 3 pics show the hole and the 2 incorrectly installed screws...both on the driver side. The last 2 pics show properly installed screws and aluminum braces installed to secure the tank on passenger side.

If you're ever under there check yours out. I'm sure mine wasn't the only one done that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185557.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	4924   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185546.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	4925   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185541.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4926   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185512.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	4927   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180818_185516.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	4928  

cavnet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:29 PM   #2

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavnet58 View Post
2014 V3305: Some Dutchment moron during assembly, put two screws into the frame directly under the fresh water tank. Of course it took almost 2 years of a 1 year warranty for the weight of the tank going down the road a rub a hole in the tank where those screws were incorrectly located.
It took me 2 seasons to finally get around to repairing their shoddy workmanship and quality control because of a medical issue I had.

The first 3 pics show the hole and the 2 incorrectly installed screws...both on the driver side. The last 2 pics show properly installed screws and aluminum braces installed to secure the tank on passenger side.

If you're ever under there check yours out. I'm sure mine wasn't the only one done that way.

Being a newbie, that does not bode well for the future of our 2018 Kodiak...ughhh

Sorry about your issue. I wish I could check but our underbelly is sealed. Sooooo fingers crossed.

Good Luck and have fun!

ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Michigan
Thanks.
Yes, mine too was covered by a coroplast underbelly. I cut a 3 sided box with uncut side facing front of RV (to reduce possible wind issues catching it) to gain access. Once repaired, I'll use a few zip ties then seal with scrim shield repair tape (expensive tape, but worth it).

I'll post repair photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180819_135412.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	4931  
Old 08-19-2018, 07:15 PM   #4

Florida
Tape is on sale... I think I should get some. The other tape I have (EternaBond) requires pressure to make it adhere. They are going to work in the bottom of my RV next week so I should probably have some on hand in case ... added to toolbox!

https://www.rvautoparts.com/022-BP41...MaAkVIEALw_wcB
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #5

South Carolina
Quote:
Thanks.
Yes, mine too was covered by a coroplast underbelly. I cut a 3 sided box with uncut side facing front of RV (to reduce possible wind issues catching it) to gain access. Once repaired, I'll use a few zip ties then seal with scrim shield repair tape (expensive tape, but worth it).

I'll post repair photos.

Thanks for that update and info.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #6

Michigan
I hope that tape works out for you.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
I hope that tape works out for you.
me too, supposed to be made for it. Do you have another recommendation?
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #8

Michigan
No, just the tape in my photo.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:09 PM   #9

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Being a newbie, that does not bode well for the future of our 2018 Kodiak...ughhh

Sorry about your issue. I wish I could check but our underbelly is sealed. Sooooo fingers crossed.

Good Luck and have fun!
Hello I have a 2017 Dutchman Kodiak 201QB and essentially the fresh water tank almost fell out, stopped by the axel. The factory blamed me saying I filled the tank too much. It was lousy workmanship. The flimsy tank supports, just like the previous pics show are not what the tank manufactures recommend and the fact the supports did not even fit tightly between the frame and they tried to let the screw body make up the difference, just plain lousy work. I actually pulled most of the coroplast back to inspect all tank supports, they were all equally as bad so I reinforced them all. I also found that the so called heated belly was not heated, the duct which is attached to the floor did not go through, it was on top of the grey water tank and could not work and the only way to tell is with the coroplast remove. I relocated it and replaced the coroplast. I would recommend you look at all tank supports and repair/reinforce as necessary. it is a lot of work though but you sure don't want trouble on a trip.
AETHERIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:45 PM   #10

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AETHERIA View Post
Hello I have a 2017 Dutchman Kodiak 201QB and essentially the fresh water tank almost fell out, stopped by the axel. The factory blamed me saying I filled the tank too much. .

WOW! That would be hilarious if not for the fact that they were just trying to get out of honoring a warranty.

How do you overfill a water tank? How do they expect you to know? By the worthless 4 lite indicator?

That is a big shame! I dread the time we need warranty work. And it may be coming

Good luck!.