Carefree awning issues dutchmen voltage 3905 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #1

Saskatchewan
Carefree awning issues dutchmen voltage 3905

Have used our unit three times, all of which have not ever been in a storm or high winds. Not being my first RV, I know how to to adjustthe awning to allow for proper run off during a normal rain shower. I noticed on our last drizzle of a rain that the shocks on my carefree will not dump. This was on my large awning that runs over the kitchen slide out to the rear toy hauler awning. I noticed also on a closer inspection that the aluminum had started to buldge at the lower half circle cut out on the arm that travels from the coach to the motor on the awning. Obviously when you put any holes in a structural piece of material it gets WEAK! I emailed carefree who after sending them photos initialy told me that it looked like ...Wait for it STORM damage...OK since I have never left the unit day or night on three outings that is not the case. Im still working on a solution to this issue, but inspect yours it is not visible unless you are looking at it!!!! Another 2013 DUTCHMEN

lkhbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #2

You cannot angle the voltage awning like the conventional ones so the water will run off. Our awning was nearly straight out from the top and would gather water. I adjusted the side railing where the arms pivot into the main arms of the awning. Kinda hard to describe but there are 4 or 5 holes in the main awning arm for adjustment. Once I adjusted the awning where the outside end where the flap is located downward it allowed the water to flow off the awning and not puddle up atop of it. I believe that is what you need to do. I think I dropped my adjustment into the next to the lowest level.

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #3

Wyoming
I wasn't aware that the things were adjustable at all. When it rains, the water gathers in the center of both my forward & rear awnings... and at some point, when they get so full, the water ends up running off of one end in a big torrent.

If I have both awnings deployed, they usually dump 'inward' (towards the center of each other, near the garage side door)... and if I only have my forward awning deployed, it usually dumps towards the front of the unit.

If there's an adjustment to make each of the awnings dumps "outward"... that is, the forward awning dumping forward, and the rear awning dumping rearward... then I'd sure like to know about it.

Tanman... any chance you could take a few photos of the adjustment holes you're describing?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 AM   #4

Ohio
Ours is adjustable we keep it leaning to one way away from the door to keep the rain off the front
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kodiak right.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	600  
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:56 AM   #5

Ohio
Her the manual it will show you how to do it
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 052540-221r4 Travel'R, Owners Manual.pdf (512.5 KB, 521 views)
kodiak 2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:32 AM   #6

Washington
I had to look it up as well, our awnings were nearly horizontal when we first took delivery. I found the manual from a link someone on RV Net had posted, as well as some pics. That's also how I found out about the rear awning's support arms and operation.
If I remember correctly, you can only have two holes difference between the ends of the awning. Also, you have to put them back even before you roll them back in. It made a them work very well, we had some serious rain after we got ours and they drain like I wanted, and without puddles gathering in the center. We have both the awnings as well as the one over the garage door, I have it set up so the front one drains forward, and the rear drains aft. I am camping now with both out, if you still need pics I can take some and post them up, let me know.

Mike B.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I had to look it up as well, our awnings were nearly horizontal when we first took delivery. I found the manual from a link someone on RV Net had posted, as well as some pics. That's also how I found out about the rear awning's support arms and operation.
If I remember correctly, you can only have two holes difference between the ends of the awning. Also, you have to put them back even before you roll them back in. It made a them work very well, we had some serious rain after we got ours and they drain like I wanted, and without puddles gathering in the center. We have both the awnings as well as the one over the garage door, I have it set up so the front one drains forward, and the rear drains aft. I am camping now with both out, if you still need pics I can take some and post them up, let me know.

Mike B.
Yes please post pictures when you get a chance. Thanks