Brand new with problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2015, 05:58 AM   #1

Virginia
Brand new with problems

I just bought a 3895 and so far love it! All though I need to take it back for extensive warranty work. For example,
1. Shower has cracks in it and leaks
2. The glass door frame on the shower was never caulked and leaks
3. AC leaks water onto outside light and shorted it out
4. Graphics are peeling off
5. The pendulum lights above the bar keep falling down and breaking
6. The window opener keep popping off the tracks
7. The cabinet drawer under the fridge bends the track when used
8. Stove cover won't lay flat after use

My question is has anyone else seen these problems and is it normal for these to be messed up after the first use? Regardless I still love the camper just needs its flaws fixed

Scorpiontandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:18 AM   #2

Michigan
I have a 3950 and I had #1, 2, and 3. The replaced our entire shower unit. They claim they recaulked the shower, but I ended up doing it right and I put a longer set of rain gutters on my rig as there is nothing they really can do unless the factory stops putting the light where it is.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:08 PM   #3

California
I don't have your model but #2 I recaulked myself to fix. #3 yes but hasn't shorted light out. Just started to have #7 problem. I'll look into it & repair it myself also.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #4

Colorado
Scorpion,

Hopefully you're like a lot of us and pretty handy.

Hopefully the dealer will get everything corrected on the first try.

After that, a lot of us just do the work ourselves.

One reason...different than an auto dealership...you make your appointment, you take your car in, they fix it and you get it back the same day or a day later. You make an appointment to get your RV repaired...that is just the day you take it in. I has absolutely nothing to do with when the work will get done. Some of us have had our Voltage at the dealer for a couple of months...before they even get started...and then you wait for parts, etc.

Do your best to ask the dealer when it will be done, when you drop it off. Tell them you have trips planned and need it back ASAP. Don't know that it will help at all...but worth a try!!!

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #5

Tennessee
Make a detailed list and take it in late fall/winter. That's the only chance you have to get it back without wrecking half the camping season.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #6

Virginia
Well at least I'm not the only one! Lol. I don't think I am going to take it in until winter is here to be safe! 😉

Pirate, I am very handy I just hate to have to work on it if it has a warranty. Thank you for the advice, I will start repairing it myself if they take that long for a dealer to fix!,,,

Thanks again guys!
Scorpiontandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:37 PM   #7
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiontandr View Post
Well at least I'm not the only one! Lol. I don't think I am going to take it in until winter is here to be safe! 😉

Pirate, I am very handy I just hate to have to work on it if it has a warranty. Thank you for the advice, I will start repairing it myself if they take that long for a dealer to fix!,,,

Thanks again guys!
Disclaimer: I ain't a Voltage owner... but I own a Dutchmen Product

Fix the small stuff, save the warranty for the major stuff. Hopefully you have a good dealer that actually will work with you. FWIW my unit is now out of warranty, time to rock and roll on the mods!

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpiontandr View Post
Well at least I'm not the only one! Lol. I don't think I am going to take it in until winter is here to be safe! [emoji6]

Thanks again guys!

I did the same with mine. I waited. The mistake I made is that for one thing they where a pain in the butt. All because I did not open a warranty claim early. I got refused 3 times, then had to do a bunch of crap to get them to do the work. If I may suggests, make them aware of the problems as they come up and keep adding to the warranty claim number. It would have made all the difference for me.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #9

Tennessee
It must suck to have a crappy dealer. Our dealer fixed approx 10 things the first time I took it in, including a brand new fridge. had to take it back again for a crack in the fiberglass nose, both times took less than 3 weeks total. I just went out of warranty at the end of July.