Bedroom ac working but not cold - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Virginia
Bedroom ac working but not cold

I just purchased a voltage 3895 and the bedroom a/c is blowing cold but the room stays 10-15 degrees warmer than the rest of the camper. I have the vent closed on the unit because I was told if it was open for along time the unit would freeze. Any assistance would be great. This is my first camper so I'm lost!

Thanks again

Scorpiontandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:31 AM   #2

Michigan
Bedroom AC, not turning on , happened before to me also. I turned A/C units off for 5 minutes and started each zone separately, when one was blowing cold I turned on the next one. Seemed to stop doing so the more I used the unit. I now turn on A/C units this way everytime, slowly. Are you hooked to shore power or using generator? Are you ceiling vents in the bedroom open,they blow cold air also in my 3950.

1BadDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #3

Michigan
Hi
I never close my vent in my bedroom and I keep it at 70 dregs and never had any issues at all.
In fact I but a fan in the hallway and blow the cold air in the main part of the trailer to help speed up the cool down in the trailer .
Have a great day and enjoy your new rig!!!!!
Toolmaker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Wyoming
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here... but if by "the vent" you mean the direct ducting from the bedroom AC into the room... I've always left mine open. Never heard of such nonsense as leaving it closed. That's like someone telling you to run your furnace but leave the vents closed in your house during winter.

My normal daytime routine during the summer is to set the main AC (ZONE 1) thermostat to 70, and set the bedroom AC (ZONE 2) to 68. I keep both bathroom doors closed, and leave the bedroom door open.

With the bathroom doors closed, the cool air from the bedroom augments the AC in the main room... and the bath stays cool enough with just the single ducted vent from the Zone 1 AC open, especially when I place my cardboard cover on the ceiling 'under' the skylight. (That skylight, while nice in the winter, radiates a LOT of heat in summer)
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Virginia
Thanks so much for the advice. Yes when I refered to the duct being closed I am talking about the main vent direcly on the ac. I thought keeping it closed was crazy but I was just listening to the salesman. With it open all night last night the bedroom feels much better. I am on a 50amp service and someone told me I couldn't run all 3 ac's at a time. I have figured that's wrong as well. Thanks again for all the advice!
Scorpiontandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:47 PM   #6

Texas
I employ similar tactic as ATCguy; we are currently full timing in North Texas with triple digit heat. Our 3895 has three A/Cs. Only the garage and main cabin are ducted. I set the bedroom at 63, main cabin at 69 and garage at 64. I shut ceiling vents in bedroom and front bath to force that air into main cabin. Bathroom doors are shut. The Load Management System allows all thee ac's to run simultaneously based on demand.

Over time I've found these settings to best balance the temps thru all cabins.

With a 104 feel like temp yesterday I measured 71 degrees in center of coach.

At night I shut bedroom ac down and open ceiling ducts and cool with ac from garage and main. Wife loves the ice box feel and I like the quiet.

By the way, this is our third triple digit hot summers and couldn't be happier with the way this system works.

2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote