Battery Questions - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Georgia
Battery Questions

Hey - newby here again My 2015 Voltage 3605 is at a storage lot. I had it about 3 weeks, going out and fooling around every week. Then didn't go for 2 weeks, went out yesterday and apparently the battery was dead, as the generator wouldn't come on (indicator on control panel did indeed show E on battery, but plenty of gas for generator). Is my best bet to take it out and bring it to like an auto parts store and have it charged up? Am I [hopefully] correct in assuming this is why the generator wouldn't crank?

Part 2 - what's my best, but most economical way, to be sure the battery stays charged while it's not being used for extended periods? Again, this is out at a storage lot, so I have no electrical feed to it.

Thanks!!
Contessa

Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #2

California
Battery disconnect switch, put in the negative cable side.

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
You can take the battery out and have it checked and hopefully charged. Then add a battery disconnect switch that will COMPLETELY disconnect the battery from the system when you aren't using the trailer and it will be good for several months between uses.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:59 PM   #4

Georgia
Battery cutoff

Thank you Wahoonc - would the shutoff be the dial in the back of the compartment that the seller told me to turn in order to turn off all power to the RV? That would be the one that I told me friend to turn last time we were out there, and it appears they didn't
Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contessa View Post
Thank you Wahoonc - would the shutoff be the dial in the back of the compartment that the seller told me to turn in order to turn off all power to the RV? That would be the one that I told me friend to turn last time we were out there, and it appears they didn't
The OEM battery switch doesn't kill all circuits such as the detectors and other things.

Add a new switch at the negative side of the battery, that will open the circuit and nothing will drain the battery.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

Illinois
The dial kill switch ills most of the power, but there is still a lot of other parasitic draws on your battery. If you use the dial and not the battery kill switch as suggested you install, good batteries should easily last two weeks. I had two small solar panels installed on the roof so I never have to worry about it. Also, you should exercise your generator under load monthly, so that should also help keep a charge on your batteries.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:02 AM   #7

Colorado
Congress, turn the battery cut off switch to off. Invest in a quality portable solar charging system. The stock 12v batteries are not the best for intermittent use and storage. You have to get a good charger with the ability to sense what the battery needs and charge accordingly. And you must keep an eye on the water levels.

Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote