Axle wheel alignment - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

Nevada
Axle wheel alignment

Haven’t posted for awhile. After some severe tire wear decided to make some repairs.
First changed out spring bushing and replaced all bolts with wet bolts. Also replaced equaflex that connects front leaf springs to back that cushions ride. I might add that my voltage has 60,000 plus miles on it with a good portion of those miles on Cali roads ugh
The wet bolt and equaflex replacement probably took 6 hours for me to complete. Not a tough job even for an older guy

Next I took the rv to sunshine alignment in Reno Nevada and they put the trailer on a computerized rack. With chains and porta power jacks they meticulously realigned the axles. They provided computer read out of before and after measurements of camber and toe in and toe out. They set alignment with some positive toe in so when you travel down the road the resistance of the road corrects the toe in. The service adviser indicated that my fuel mileage should improve as well. On my home from Reno which is under 100 miles not only did the trailer seemed to handle better but fuel mileage did seem better.

It took about a half a day to do alignment and for you who would like to see process search you tube rv axle alignment sunshine alignment. The cost not cheap $662 but neither are tires

When they build these frames they use a measuring tape and tolerances are likely 1/4 of an inch with this alignment tolerance are much smaller.my initial alignment was pretty good as my second set of tires made 40,000 miles but that degraded quickly.
Now time to buy some tires and keep heading down the road

Happy New Year to you all
Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soccerloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Maryland
I was told that our alignment machine at work will do trailers, I think I might see if I can get my camper into the shop and try it, can't hurt.

hilbilydavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #3

Nevada
That would be great. If you look up you tube video trailer wheel alignment by sunshine alignment you can see process
Bill

Old 02-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #4

Wyoming
Yeah, had mine done last year... definitely made a difference in my tire wear. Here’s a link to my write up:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...eted-5798.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:48 PM   #5

Arizona
So what happens the first time you gotta crank a tight turn to back into a camping space and your tires are all over the place? Does your alignment go out the window?
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 AM   #6

Nevada
Good question... I have over 60,000 miles on my 2014. I drive unfortunately in California a lot. Our dirt roads in Nevada are smoother. I always try to avoid u turn or really sharp turns but we all know that avoiding these completely is impossible. If you checked the video you’ll see they use big chains and porta power jacks that are capable of exerting tons of force to bend the axles back into tolerance. As a result driving your car or pulling trailer will ultimately will affect alignment and I guess if I live long enough to put another 60 on it I’ll have to have it aligned again. For sure watching $150 tires destroy themselves quickly doesn’t work for me or my budget. Not sure what else I could do

Bill