Awning Lubrication - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Maryland
Awning Lubrication

What do you guys use to lube the awning tracks? My front awning always makes a loud rubbing noise when opening or closing. The back does not. I am assuming I need to lubricate the track. Is there a way to adjust the arms if the rubbing is from binding/

Thanks,
Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 AM   #2

Alabama
I used silicone lube from WD-40 (yellow can). It worked a bit, but I don't think it solved the problem. I did notice that there is a roller on the awning arm that slides against the track. On the awning that makes the most noise, the rollers don't roll, but rather slide against the track. I tried to back out the Allen screw that holds the roller on in an effort to get it to spin, but the Allen head is too buggered up from installation. I just repeat the lube process when it gets too noisy, or after a good rain.

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Moogal78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:19 AM   #3

Maryland
I am glad someone else has the same problem. I thought that maybe it was binding and would eventually burn the motor out. I have personally tried the CRC stuff for the slide motors and white lithum grease, but no joy... I will keep fiddling with it then...

Thanks,
Cale

Old 05-19-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Wyoming
Yep, same here. Anything I've used works for awhile, but is gone after 2 or 3 days. If it rains, it washes away... and out in AZ, the constant fine-mist dust in the air rendered it useless after a day or so.

And I have the same issue in re one awning being worse than the other. In my case, it's the shorter rear awning that makes the most noise... especially the track closest to the rear door It almost seems as if maybe the track itself isn't completely straight in-line with the action of the awning frame. But, if so, I can't blame Dutchmen on that because I've placed a level against it, and it is vertically "true".
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Alabama
Interesting, ATCguy, mine is the same. Small awning arm nearest the rear door makes the most noise. Also appears to bind a bit and kind of "skip" along the track rather than slide. I have both of my awnings set at an angle for rain run off, and the binding or skipping isn't any better or worse than before. I've also set different sides at an angle and there isn't any improvement.

2013 Voltage 3895
2011 Ford F-350 DRW w/ Firestone airbags and heavy duty compressor, Edge Insight CTS, Curt Q24
Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 PM   #6

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Yep, same here. Anything I've used works for awhile, but is gone after 2 or 3 days. If it rains, it washes away... and out in AZ, the constant fine-mist dust in the air rendered it useless after a day or so.

And I have the same issue in re one awning being worse than the other. In my case, it's the shorter rear awning that makes the most noise... especially the track closest to the rear door It almost seems as if maybe the track itself isn't completely straight in-line with the action of the awning frame. But, if so, I can't blame Dutchmen on that because I've placed a level against it, and it is vertically "true".
Yes, I am the same way. I thought there was an install error, but she looks good all around. I am just afraid that the motor is going to burn out...

Cale

Old 05-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogal78 View Post
Interesting, ATCguy, mine is the same. Small awning arm nearest the rear door makes the most noise. Also appears to bind a bit and kind of "skip" along the track rather than slide. I have both of my awnings set at an angle for rain run off, and the binding or skipping isn't any better or worse than before. I've also set different sides at an angle and there isn't any improvement.
How do you change the angle? Can it still be opened and closed when at the set angles? I have seen small holes in the arms, but have not pursued it any further.

Cale

Old 05-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #8

Tennessee
The rails that are attached to the camper walls on my awning only have a top and bottom bolt, the rail seems to flex when extending, mine also skips a little, wonder if that's the problem? Seems a little foolish to have only 4 bolts holding a 17ft awning up.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #9

Alabama
Cale, with the awning extended, look at each awning arm. There are two "arms" that attach to the lowest point of the mechanism. On the forward most of those arms you will see a small silver spring-loaded push button about halfway up. Notice that there are multiple holes that that button can fit in. Push in the button while pulling down on the arm and release at the desired position. The literature says that the arms can be up to three positions difference from one another and still be extended and retracted. I know this explanation is lacking, but I don't have a picture to post. If you investigate the forward most part of each awning arm I'm sure it'll become obvious. Hope this helps. I've kept mine set one side low since I figured out how to adjust them.

2013 Voltage 3895
Old 05-20-2015, 12:08 AM   #10

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogal78 View Post
Cale, with the awning extended, look at each awning arm. There are two "arms" that attach to the lowest point of the mechanism. On the forward most of those arms you will see a small silver spring-loaded push button about halfway up. Notice that there are multiple holes that that button can fit in. Push in the button while pulling down on the arm and release at the desired position. The literature says that the arms can be up to three positions difference from one another and still be extended and retracted. I know this explanation is lacking, but I don't have a picture to post. If you investigate the forward most part of each awning arm I'm sure it'll become obvious. Hope this helps. I've kept mine set one side low since I figured out how to adjust them.
Yikes, no way would I retract my awning with the arms uneven, seems like a recipe for disaster. I always tilt mine to one side for potential rain when I setup, but i'm honestly shocked that they say it's safe to roll up that way. That would certainly cause chattering when retracting.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #11

Alabama
Doesn't cause any more chattering than it did when they were even. I set each awning with the rearmost arm down by two positions. Give it a try and tell me what you notice.

2013 Voltage 3895
Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 AM   #12

Oklahoma
On a worthy note, with the arms adjusted to shed water the awning won't collapse in case the run off isn't fast enough.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:10 AM   #13

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
On a worthy note, with the arms adjusted to shed water the awning won't collapse in case the run off isn't fast enough.
Ah, my tiny rig does not have the self collapsing feature.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #14

Oklahoma
Well then, that's a 500 dollar repair job you won't have to worry about.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote