Awning LED strip short? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Colorado
Awning LED strip short?

When I put my 2016 3200 away in winter storage (covered) last fall, the LED strips under the awnings worked fine. It was at the Dealer getting a few things fixed for about 3 weeks during a very wet period this month. I got it back and was testing all the systems before heading out for a trip in a few weeks and found that now when I turn on the awning LED light strips, the 15 amp fuse for the awnings blows immediately.

I haven't had a chance to get the ladder out to climb up and check the connections yet, but thought someone here may have some experience with troubleshooting a problem with the LED strips under the awnings.

Anyone had an issue with the LED strips under their awnings?

Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Colorado
who do you edit a post? Typo: latter = ladder

Old 05-30-2017, 11:39 PM   #3
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Its4 View Post
who do you edit a post? Typo: latter = ladder
Fixed if for you. There is a limited edit window, set by the forum software. You can use the "report post button" and someone will be glad to fix it for you.

LED's are prone to the occasional failure. Did the whole strip crap out? or just part of it? If you are blowing fuses as soon as something is turned on you probably have a short, possibly a pinched wire.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 12:17 PM   #4

Colorado
Yes, the fuse blows immediately when the lights are turned on.

I need to get up there and figure out how the LED strips are connected. Most likely a short in the led strip since the awning motors work and are on the same fuse. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:18 AM   #5

Arizona
Mine died last year, the wire is completely melted in the wall. It appears that the upper connection by the led light strip was not secured properly and the awning frame pinched it. After stabbing a #1 Phillips screwdriver through my thumbnail working on it, I decided that I didn't care enough to continue repairing it at this time. I'm not even sure how I'm going to fish new power wires through the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its4 View Post
When I put my 2016 3200 away in winter storage (covered) last fall, the LED strips under the awnings worked fine. It was at the Dealer getting a few things fixed for about 3 weeks during a very wet period this month. I got it back and was testing all the systems before heading out for a trip in a few weeks and found that now when I turn on the awning LED light strips, the 15 amp fuse for the awnings blows immediately.

I haven't had a chance to get the ladder out to climb up and check the connections yet, but thought someone here may have some experience with troubleshooting a problem with the LED strips under the awnings.

Anyone had an issue with the LED strips under their awnings?
locash is offline   Reply With Quote