Atwood Hot water heater issue - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Tennessee
Atwood Hot water heater issue

Looking for some quick troubleshooting tips on an Atwood Hot Water heater Model: GC10A-4E. It has completely stopped working, electrically and on LP gas. I also noticed the lights on the circuit board are not on either (not positive if they should be on all the time when the system is running, I was unable to find any data points to the lights operation). I've checked to make sure all the connections were tight. This is a new unit, no corrosion or rust on it. I'm currently full timing in it and before I make my way over to a local dealer to fix it, I want to make sure I've looked at every option to fix it myself first. The 2015 Voltage is still under warranty, I’m sure everything will be covered. I would appreciate any help to fix this quickly or down to broken part.

I found the below Troubleshooting guide to help me out.

www.beamalarm.com/Documents/atwood_water_heater_troubleshooting.html

ldo2104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #2

California
Double check you 12v fuse panel. Should be a fuse to power the circuit board.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Tennessee
I was not able to find a 12V fuse on the Panel for my hot water heater (that was labeled for the Hot water heater), I did find a resetable breaker labled WH (15AMP). I did check the 2V fuse on the board, it was good.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Tennessee
I was about to troubleshoot it down to the thermostat. Quick question, does the thermostat reset once it cools down? I read some place that it is rated for 140 degrees.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Have you checked voltages from the circuit board? The board fuse may be good but there still needs to be a voltage at the gas valve, the 110volt electrode and to the ECO switches.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #6

Texas
In my last trailer I was on my way home from the dealer, 300 miles away in the middle of the night, before I figured the WH wasn't working. Yea... I did a great job on the PDI???

A call the next day had me check the WH bypass, which on this trailer was behind the basement wall. Sure enough the WH was winterized and set to bypass.

Is it possible that someone flipped the WH bypass Winterization switch in your UDC?

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #7

Oklahoma
Just my 2cents. Start at the beginning and make sure you have power to the unit by measuring at the heater for either 12 volts for the valve, or 110 volts for the electrical element. Don't assume that because the breakers are closed that you have power. A loose wire is not uncommon. If you have power, then check fuses at the unit, which you have done. Next is to make sure that the switches in the heater are set right. There is a switch in the heater itself that will turn the electric feature off. Then make sure the switch in the power panel is set right. Also make sure that the thermostat is turned up to its highest setting for all these tests, that way you can be pretty sure that the heater should be working.

Doing all these things should isolate where to look for a problem.(loose wire, bad switch, bad valve, bad sensor)

Hope this will get you started.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
Just my 2cents. Start at the beginning and make sure you have power to the unit by measuring at the heater for either 12 volts for the valve, or 110 volts for the electrical element. Don't assume that because the breakers are closed that you have power. A loose wire is not uncommon. If you have power, then check fuses at the unit, which you have done. Next is to make sure that the switches in the heater are set right. There is a switch in the heater itself that will turn the electric feature off. Then make sure the switch in the power panel is set right. Also make sure that the thermostat is turned up to its highest setting for all these tests, that way you can be pretty sure that the heater should be working.

Doing all these things should isolate where to look for a problem.(loose wire, bad switch, bad valve, bad sensor)

Hope this will get you started.
Your 2 cents is worth 5.

Seen more than my fair share of loose wires and bad switches over the years. Still have to eliminate things in a methodical manner.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:15 AM   #9

Tennessee
Thanks for the information, I'm up and running. I noticed now my water heater when using either LP gas or Electric it has a high pitch hum by the circuit board. Is this normal? I did not notice it when I was conducting my PDI a few months back?