Any owners with 2017 Voltage Problems? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2016, 06:06 PM   #1

Texas
Any owners with 2017 Voltage Problems?

New to the forums. Traded in my 2012 painted Voltage 3950 for a orderd 2017 Voltage 3990 Black Label Edition will be here on the 14th. Has any one had any problems with a 2017 Voltage?

Have read a lot of good info on the forums.

Also has any one purchased from Exploreusa in Denton TX.

Thanks
Robert

Black Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #2

California
Welcome Robert

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #3

Washington
Robert,

It doesn't matter the year or manufacturer, they all are built on an assembly line and will come with a host of issues. Just do yourself a favor and DO NOT REMOVE FROM THE LOT without going over, under, touching, pulling, prodding, turning on, off everything. A complete walk thru on a unit like that may take you a full day. Bring a clipboard and pen and make a list of everything. I found and made my dealer fix everything before I removed it. They had it for two weeks. All the stuff they said is " normal" like sawdust in the ac roof venting. I made them clean and prep. You shouldn't spend this kind of monies and expect to have to deal with any issues.
WMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #4

Illinois
Welcome Robert. Pretty unit. I have a 2015 full paint 3990. Compared to some of the horror stories posted, my unit, other than a a few minor issues, has been great. Thorough PDI inspection will help you out a ton. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:57 AM   #5

Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ops View Post
New to the forums. Traded in my 2012 painted Voltage 3950 for a orderd 2017 Voltage 3990 Black Label Edition will be here on the 14th. Has any one had any problems with a 2017 Voltage?

Have read a lot of good info on the forums.

Also has any one purchased from Exploreusa in Denton TX.

Thanks
Robert
Welcome Robert, I just received the latest edition of Trailer Life magazine that I subscribe to, and on the front cover is a 17 V3990 Voltage Epic. They did a feature test on this camper and showed some pictures and floor plan with comments on a test trip in a campground in Vermont. Looks very nice, must have been really hot they commented the air conditioners wouldn't keep up, the hardware on some of the cabinet and closet doors didn't work well, tv mounts were sloppy. Says it comes with a large tub in the bathroom but Dutchman didn't put in a tub faucet or closeable drain. Hmm! Minor things but overall they liked it. From the pictures it looks very nice. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!! Doug
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:21 AM   #6

British Columbia
Welcome to the forum, Robert.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:44 AM   #7

WMAC has the right and best information.. it will save you a lot of heartache, frustration and cursing. Yes they are all assembly line built but with just about no quality control. Save a lot of trips back and forth and do it right the first time
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #8

Nebraska
Since you have owned a rig in the past you will know most of the things to look for. Like most others are saying, the fit and finish of some items isn't the best but those are things I don't want to wait 4 weeks for the dealer to fix. A few items we ran into with our 2015 which may not help you with the 2017 but it makes me feel better to vent them

-If you don't have a RG-6 tool for compressing coax connections pick one up along with a cutter and 50 ends as it does seem like the installers did a really bad job with these connections.
-Check the grey and black valve operation. If it is not smooth then it will fail and will ruin a vacation. Had I noticed mine binding up earlier I would have pulled off the panel behind and noticed the loop was around at about 4 inches in diameter, installation docs say not to bend shorter than 12 inches. Needless to say the cable broke over our 4th of July trip. I ended up putting a temporary valve on the outlet as you cannot easily get underneath to fix this, they will have to do it over the winter.
-Not sure how you can check this but we had a ton of water pour out of our recirculation vents on a rainy afternoon. Turns out when they installed the main AC unit they didn't seal it up properly. Maybe run the AC with a sprinkler running at home or walk around with a garden hose. Just something to keep an eye on.
-Speaking of water... Check any framed windows for water leakage, I had to caulk around the windows on our bedroom slide-out as they weren't sealed properly.
-Our fridge has gone out on us 2 times. Lots of lost steaks Ours is a "overheat safety" protection device of some sort that looks like it was added on after the fact. I was able to bypass with a 10amp fuse but beware, this safety device was added because these fridges burned down a few campers. I'm thinking about adding some sort of alarm so that we don't find out it's broken by the smell of dead animals.
-If you have glass on the cabinet doors make sure you bring a glue-gun with you. Some of them aren't set in there the best.
-

Biggest thing I've learned from the folks on this forum is to not sweat the small stuff. Fix what you can on your own and leave the big stuff for the warranty. I actually enjoy working and upgrading based on some of the ideas on this board. Keeps me busy and out of the wife's way.

-Doug
Old 10-12-2016, 03:22 PM   #9

Texas
Hey Doug
Is that isue of Trailer Life Oct or Nov with the review of the 3990?

Thanks
Robert
Old 10-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #10

Iowa
Quote:
Hey Doug
Is that isue of Trailer Life Oct or Nov with the review of the 3990?

Thanks
Robert
Robert that is the Nov edition. Pretty good article, they tell it like it is. Good magazine (my opinion anyway) always have some interesting articles. Doug
dougs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #11

Texas
I did not buy from the Denton location but I've used them for service since I live north of them. Like others, I cannot stress the importance of a thorough PDI. Once off the lot, the likelihood of getting the minor issues resolved in a timely fashion is slim. Mine was there for 9 months last year getting work done to it. I couldn't/wouldn't pick it up due to quality issues that were evident when I would inspect upon being informed that it was ready for pick-up. I finally said screw it and dealt with some of the issues (mainly shoddy caulking on the newly painted side of my trailer).

As is usually the case, they have had turnover in the service department. I haven't dealt with the newest group so maybe they've improved.

I'm interested in knowing how the paint has held up on the Black Label Edition's. They've been around now for 2 years. When I looked at one, the sales rep for Dutchmen told me there was some special way to wash it due to the flat finish. I passed since I wanted to see how it held up. I was also curious to know how well the unit cooled in our Texas summers (even though my full paint has quite a bit of black as well). They already have cooling challenges as it is without having a full black exterior.

It is a beautiful trailer. The 3990 is the BL edition they had at the Dallas show a couple years ago. We have a friend with that floor plan and they have no regrets.
soonernation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #12

Texas
Thanks you guys for all the info it will help me at the PDI they are going to hate me when im done with it,

So sales guy called me and said it would be here Friday now he tells me it could be 1 to 2 more weeks!

Thanks
Robert
Old 10-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #13

Arizona
There are threads on this but the first thing you're going to want to do is pull the middle air conditioner (the one over the living room/kitchen area) because the installer is incompetent. Four lag bolts hold it on to the roof. It's the one that's fully ducted. The tape job done in the pit under it is pathetic and most of your cold air will vent into the ceiling rather going through the ducts. Most likely the tape will be in a ball blocking a duct. Seems they don't vacuum out the sawdust and the tape doesn't stick. Pull off the factory tape, vacuum well and re-tape. Now you'll have a good A/C system. Too bad they don't have vacuums at the factory.

Next check your two inlet ducts in the main cabin that feed air to this A/C unit. The ducts will collapse and pinch off the air going to the A/C. I installed a short 1 inch piece of PVC to stick in there to open up the duct. Keep an eye on the filters in these vents as they fill with dust quickly.

Keep an eye on the threads to learn more than you care to know about your trailer. Took me almost a year to work out the bugs (on my own) but now have a reliable trailer. I refuse to let it sit at the dealer waiting for service - I'll do it my self.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:03 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:
it will help me at the PDI they are going to hate me when im done with it,

Robert
Robert,

Better they hate you, than you hating yourself for taking a deffective camper off the dealers lot.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:41 PM   #15

Texas
ALL THREE Slides do not extend out all the way 2016 Model 3970

Check all three of your slides. If they are like my 2016 Voltage model 3970, they do not extend out all the way. Look on top of your slides and on the sides. Do you see your sidewalls? This is a design flaw and a classic example of manufacturing cutting corners.
Alprath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:42 AM   #16

California
I have a 2017 V3805 that has been better than other new rv s I have owned.
A couple of lose trim pieces
Poorly tightened faucets supply lines
Interior door strike plates not installed straight
Fresh water drain leaking

One issue I have not fixed yet is fresh water leak under side when hooked to city water.

In all very satisfied with dealer and manufacturer!
Purchased from Toyhauler Liquidators for a price much better than I could find anywhere on west coast.
T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	560
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	3706  
Old 10-25-2016, 09:53 AM   #17

Illinois
Nice to see a "good" story once in a while. Still, for what you pay, there shouldn't be leaks. Fit and finish items I an understand, but no excuses for leaks.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:10 AM   #18

California
2017 3305 only thing so far is a constant hot 12v to the gen hr meter. Up over 600 hrs now.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #19

North Carolina
welcome!
post some pictures when you get it , AFTER PDI. we ordered a 3970, full paint, this time last year. just took it back to the dealer for the first time last week. my wife REALY wanted that black label, saw it at the hershey show in PA. it was awesome, had a line to see it like NO OTHER in the show! only reason we didn't get it , i just wanted to care for it as i was used to, (wax). tried to order the "burnt orange", rep said that it was discontinued . so i ordered the bright orange (KTM). then one day we get a call, "RV's DONE" . "ill call you back in the morning to confirm "- then nothing for a week...when i finally get him on the phone,, "it shows done. but i can't find it"!! - the reason - they painted it the wrong color...i just tried not to flip out.. glad i didn't - cause,the "wrong" color was the burnt- orange we tried to order in the first place! lol.

guys on here are great and really drove home the importance of the PDI, its one of the (only) ways to put pressure on the dealer/manufacture. the rest of the time the ball is in their hands!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4241.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	3860  
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 AM   #20

North Carolina
We bought our 2016 V3800 Friday before Easter weekend didn't have any issues at the dealer. Made them deliver it to us at our campground and pickup our trade, they set it up and hooked up to the trade and left. I hooked water and power up flip the breakers and nothing!!!! [emoji15] I call dealer talk to service manager he say it's in power pole, campground puts new breaker and plug in and still nothing. I call service manager back he says sorry I can't help you its not my problem we have no technicians here until Monday, so I tell him come pick it up bring my trade back. He shows up 30 mins later and it takes him an hour to find the ground screw came loose, he tightened it and flipped breaker we have power but it shorts the tv sound system, fireplace and vacuum out. Took them 6 weeks to get it all replaced. So check everything again as soon as you get it home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WilliamsonA410 is offline   Reply With Quote