Another Voltage project - lighting - Page 4 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 04:23 PM   #61

Alberta
I have gone through the unit over the last 6 months and slowly replacing the cheap Amazon led light pads out the outrageously expensive bulbs from the dealership. They have a but if a different color to them, and a but brighter too. One box of 10 cheap Amazon bulbs with shipping cost as much as 2 bulbs from the dealer. However, the dealer did guarantee to that the new bulbs will last up to 5 years of moderate use. So we'll see, I guess.

07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #62

Florida
From my experience selling LED lamps (lighting) on a professional level, NOT ALL LED LAMPS ARE CREATED EQUAL. The usual ones (NOT CREE and a FEW OTHERS) are cheap, they don't always match in color and WILL fail. The more expensive ones are not always the best ones. You will find that lamps sold by folks like CW are cheaply made but they are high profit dollar items for them. Reputable manufacturers of LED lamps will warranty their stuff usually for 50,000 to 100,000 hours (they won't last a lifetime but it seems like they do).

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #63

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
From my experience selling LED lamps (lighting) on a professional level, NOT ALL LED LAMPS ARE CREATED EQUAL. The usual ones (NOT CREE and a FEW OTHERS) are cheap, they don't always match in color and WILL fail. The more expensive ones are not always the best ones. You will find that lamps sold by folks like CW are cheaply made but they are high profit dollar items for them. Reputable manufacturers of LED lamps will warranty their stuff usually for 50,000 to 100,000 hours (they won't last a lifetime but it seems like they do).
Yeah, I hear ya... and I've never minded paying for more for quality items. My problem, in this area, is... which bulbs (and/or manufacturers) are reputable? The usual companies like GE, Phillips, Sylvania, etc don't make JC-10 & 194 LED bulbs... which is what my rig needs. And the companies that do, I've never even heard of before. (which isn't saying much, considering I'd never heard of a JC-10 bulb before getting my RV either)

Aaron, whose advise I've always found to be spot on, recommends looking for bulbs with a variable 12-24v rating, due to the systems in our rigs... yet I've not found a single JC-10 bulb with that in it's specs.

Though there are multiple LED lighting threads on the board... this is is why I picked this particular thread to revive, so that I could specifically ask Don how the bulbs he bought were holding up. He seems to be happy with them, and is probably what I'll end up ordering... unless someone convinces me there's something better / more reliable / with a better warranty.

And with that said... I'm open to any & all suggestions.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:01 PM   #64

Tennessee
[QUOTE=franktafl;57259 Reputable manufacturers of LED lamps will warranty their stuff usually for 50,000 to 100,000 hours (they won't last a lifetime but it seems like they do).[/QUOTE]

Would love to see a link for a site that guarantees bulbs for 100,000 hours.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #65

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I put these in everything ,,,,

https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear.../rv+led+bulbs/
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #66

Florida
Quote:
https://www.rabweb.com/100k.php

10 Year / 100,000 Hour Extended Warranty for LEDTWP-580 LED Light Fixtures - Larson Electronics

At that, the bulb will be at least 70% of it's rated output. The reason they went with the smaller amounts of lifetime is that it was taking too long to test them so they rate them at five years to ten now even to thirty years. Will they last that long? Maybe not and depending on the manufacturer, probably not. RAB is one of our top lines and with the advent of LED lamps, they change them once and for the next five years (or more) don't have to change them again. This is particularly important on things like cranes, large places where lamp changes are more than a daily occurrence. The FDOC is currently looking a relamping ALL of the institutions in the state with LED. This will free up at least one maintenance engineer for other duties at each facility when the project is complete.
Old 12-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #67

Wyoming
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
https://www.rabweb.com/100k.php

10 Year / 100,000 Hour Extended Warranty for LEDTWP-580 LED Light Fixtures - Larson Electronics

At that, the bulb will be at least 70% of it's rated output. The reason they went with the smaller amounts of lifetime is that it was taking too long to test them so they rate them at five years to ten now even to thirty years. Will they last that long? Maybe not and depending on the manufacturer, probably not. RAB is one of our top lines and with the advent of LED lamps, they change them once and for the next five years (or more) don't have to change them again. This is particularly important on things like cranes, large places where lamp changes are more than a daily occurrence. The FDOC is currently looking a relamping ALL of the institutions in the state with LED. This will free up at least one maintenance engineer for other duties at each facility when the project is complete.

WTF?? We’re talking about RV bulbs here... not light fixtures for state prisons!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 02:06 PM   #68

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post

WTF?? We’re talking about RV bulbs here... not light fixtures for state prisons!
I didn't think you could get an RV bulb with a guarantee like that.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #69

Florida
Quote:

easy boy! He asked about lamps that would have a guaranty of 100k hours. Besides, who is going to keep an rv that long?
Old 12-20-2017, 06:14 AM   #70

Michigan
Quote:
Though there are multiple LED lighting threads on the board... this is is why I picked this particular thread to revive, so that I could specifically ask Don how the bulbs he bought were holding up. He seems to be happy with them, and is probably what I'll end up ordering... unless someone convinces me there's something better / more reliable / with a better warranty.

And with that said... I'm open to any & all suggestions.
I am positive there are many better LED solutions out there - I found what I thought to be a good mix/risk between cost and reviews and thus far have been happy with my choice. Once they need replacing, I may go with a different quality one for specific fixtures or experiment with higher output LEDs in certain places.

Hell the cheap Amazon flat panel LEDs that I have in some of the fixtures were in the my previous rig for three years and then, yep - I pulled them out and put them in the Voltage when I bought it four years ago - still going strong. maybe one or two of the 36 individual LEDs have burnt out, but still working well.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote