Another Voltage project - lighting - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 AM   #21

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz01 View Post
How have they held up for you ? Looking on Amazon they have terrible ratings with everyone saying they burn out or flicker etc.

Thanks Switz
I've had mine in for a full year now and out of 30 had 1 Give me grief. I think for that price point I won't complain very loud. For a box of 10 on amazon, you get 1 or 2 from the dealership parts dept. Don't get me wrong, I know there are much better ones on the market, I'm just sharing with everyone what I am using and so far, no big complaints.

07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:04 AM   #22

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dmax360 View Post
I've had mine in for a full year now and out of 30 had 1 Give me grief. I think for that price point I won't complain very loud. For a box of 10 on amazon, you get 1 or 2 from the dealership parts dept. Don't get me wrong, I know there are much better ones on the market, I'm just sharing with everyone what I am using and so far, no big complaints.
Thanks a million, I have replaces half the lights in my Voltage 3200 and they are 110.00 / 6 in Alberta RV dealerships. Again I have the halogen puck lights in my RV and found ARCON 921 Bright White bulbs at 1.6 watts seem to do the trick. But several hundred dollars to replace all

2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:41 AM   #23

Colorado
Switz,

Hard to believe they are talking about LED bulbs. I changed out about every bulb in the house in the last couple of years...one died within minutes. Ace Hdwe replaced it...all of them now are working just fine!

I'll be sure an post on how the ones I have ordered for the Voltage work out...

Pirate
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #24

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Switz,

Hard to believe they are talking about LED bulbs. I changed out about every bulb in the house in the last couple of years...one died within minutes. Ace Hdwe replaced it...all of them now are working just fine!

I'll be sure an post on how the ones I have ordered for the Voltage work out...

Pirate
I converted to LEDs in my Airsteam, when I sold it 3 years later they were all still going strong. Got about the same on the Dutchmen and they are all good but for one that has on of the LEDs that has gone dim, it really doesn't make much difference in the light output.

All of mine came from eBay.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 06:15 PM   #25
Site Team

North Carolina
These are the LED bulbs I use and so far so good. We have put them in a couple of TT's, a race car hauler, a Class A bus and a Class C.

One thing to watch for is the voltage rating. You want something that is rated to more than just 12 volts. Most RV DC systems run at more than 12 volts, closer to 13. If you have a bulb that the max rating is 12 volts it is going to have a short life span.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 01:59 AM   #26

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz01 View Post
How have they held up for you ? Looking on Amazon they have terrible ratings with everyone saying they burn out or flicker etc.

Thanks Switz
I bought these last year and have had no trouble at all with them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Just make sure when you buy any LED's that are rated at the voltages on our trailers. Max Charging can be up to 14.6 volts. As you can these LED's are rated from 12 to 24 VDC. After reading the reviews, the ones that are only rated at 12 volts have a lot of trouble.

2014 Denali 289RK
2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X CC.
EricNSTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #27

Texas
I used these bulbs to convert the entire trailer inside and out. I have had them about 60 days so far and all have worked well.

Interior Puck lights Robot Check

Side & rear security lights Robot Check

garage, pantry, basement etc Robot Check

outside clearance/marker lights Robot Check
Burl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 PM   #28

Colorado
WELL...good thing I started this thread and got the rest of you to fess up and let us know what you are using!!

Got some good info on the other LEDs I will be needing for the rest of the light fixtures in the Voltage.

Probably some questions on what fits what. Perhaps a pic of the light fixture and then a link to what LED bulb fits its?

Thanks all!!

Pirate
Old 03-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #29

Texas
Quote:
WELL...good thing I started this thread and got the rest of you to fess up and let us know what you are using!!

Got some good info on the other LEDs I will be needing for the rest of the light fixtures in the Voltage.

Probably some questions on what fits what. Perhaps a pic of the light fixture and then a link to what LED bulb fits its?

Thanks all!!

Pirate
Added a little info there for you. Also added these just because i wanted them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1238.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	3029  
Old 03-24-2016, 03:55 AM   #30

Colorado
Burl,

Lost me...the ones in the pic are the add ons?

Is it cool that we can take on projects like this...just because we want to!!!

Pirate
Old 03-27-2016, 01:35 AM   #31

Texas
Quote:
Burl,

Lost me...the ones in the pic are the add ons?

Is it cool that we can take on projects like this...just because we want to!!!

Pirate
A couple posts back I edited to label where each of the 4 bulbs belong.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #32

Michigan
Quote:
The month we were in Arizona we had one of the work lights on the door side of the Voltage croak. Just left it alone until we got home.

Upgrading the house to all LED bulbs, and the RZR, why not the Voltage? Just hate changing bulbs!!

A note, all the outside lights, the four black and the two white all have lenses that will pop off easily with a small screwdriver, or even just pushing up on the lens with your fingers.

I've found the best selection of bulbs on www.superbrightleds.com

The large, in my case black fixture, lights (of which there are four) use an 1157 bulb. The four are....passenger side forward of the window in the bedroom, driver side aft of the bedroom slide, and the two on the ramp.

The small, in my case white fixture, lights (of which there are five) use an 1141 bulb. The five are....above each entry door, the fixture in the wet cabinet and the ones under each exterior steps.

So what to order?

For the 1157 bulb enter 1157 in the search box and this is the one I chose:

1157 LED Bulb - Dual Function 45 SMD LED Tower - BAY15D Retrofit I chose the "cool white" color.

For the 1141 bulb enter 1141 in the search box and you'll find that there ain't an 1141, all these 1156 bulbs come up. Yup, look closely and you'll find its a replacement/substitute for the 1141. I chose this one:

1156 LED Bulb - 45 SMD LED Tower - BA15S Retrofit

You an select colors. I chose "cool white" for three that are exposed and "amber" for the two step lights.

These bulbs are each $14.95...but keep in mind the LED bulb puts out more light, uses lot less electricity, and will last longer that the RV, and possibly me. So worth the price, in my opinion.

Pirate
OK, Pirate. Anxious here. I went out this morning and took a count of all bulbs I need to complete my conversion that I started last summer to LED. Have you happened to have received yours yet? No rush - LOL!!!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:22 PM   #33

Colorado
Don,

Got mine for the outside lights a few days ago...before the latest storm hit! About melted off...so going to try and get off my butt and go install them.

Got Burl's info on the bulbs for the inside light fixtures...probably going to order them this week...unless planning the slide out tray for the basement gets in the way! Really liked the post where he moved the rear wall of the basement to be able to use a wider side out. Doesn't seem like its that difficult...just have to go look at what's in the way in my Voltage. Was getting a little bored anyway....LOL!!!
Old 03-28-2016, 07:42 AM   #34

Michigan
Nice - I remodeled my basement as well last year when I installed the inverter. Moved the water pump, transfer switch and vacuum in the process. Used aluminum angle stock for the framing and gained space. I also replaced the "carpet board" along the side of the wet bay with a sheet of plexiglass so I can monitor the goings on in the there such as water connections and see the status indicator on the inverter.

It is gonna take come serious coin to convert all lights to LED. I had some Chinese made ones in my last rig, but had some burning out prematurely and also read some horror stories about cheaper ones burning up. What we paid for these rigs, I don't want to lose mine trying to save a few bucks on bulbs.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #35

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burl View Post
I used these bulbs to convert the entire trailer inside and out. I have had them about 60 days so far and all have worked well.

Interior Puck lights Robot Check

Side & rear security lights Robot Check

garage, pantry, basement etc Robot Check

outside clearance/marker lights Robot Check
Burl - on your puck light LEDs, did the same size LED bulb fit both size pucks? I Have some 3-1/2" and some 4-1/2"
Old 03-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #36

Colorado
Don,

Where Burl got his LEDs, via Amazon, they are cheaper than the ones I got from SuperBrightLEDs.com

Gonna have to look, I'm not sure if mine has two size of pucks or not...hmmm.

Yeah, I'm real observant when in the Toyhauler! LOL!!!

Pirate
Old 04-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #37

Michigan
Pirate, turns out those 4-1/2" pucks in mine are LED. Got a pack of the ones Burl recommended to try in the 3-1/2" pucks as they were halogen. Impressive results

Before

After

Halogen on right, LED on left
Old 04-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #38

Alberta
Looks good Don. I want to convert over the puck lights now. Looks fancier than the junky white generic lights I have
2012 Can-Am Commander XT 1000, 1998 golwing GL1500
07dmax360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:30 PM   #39

Michigan
Glad I didn't buy LEDs for all of them now that I see the big ones are already LED. May look into replacement brighter ones once I get all the others converted
Old 04-09-2016, 01:59 AM   #40

Colorado
Don, thanks for the info.

Got the LED bulbs installed in all the outside lights...well sort of:

The under step yellow lights are just a typical round running light mounted under the step. So left them alone.

So the two white fixtures over the doors, the two black fixtures above the ramp and the two black forward. On the driver side, between the slides, on the passenger side forward of the bedroom window.

Very interesting that the two over the doors, the two over the ramp and the one between the slides are operated from the switch panel above the electrical panel. The black forward of the window on the passenger side...is controlled by the panel that controls the forward awning, the LED light strip, and that light fixture. Can also control it with the remote, which will do all of the above and auto-level the trailer.

Whew...still on that learning curve!!!

Pirate