Annual maintenance budget? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2016, 03:57 AM   #1

Texas
Annual maintenance budget?

My wife and I are looking to buy a 4150 and I was wondering what I should budget annually for maintenance.

drock512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:39 AM   #2

Illinois
Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by drock512 View Post
My wife and I are looking to buy a 4150 and I was wondering what I should budget annually for maintenance.
A lot depends on how handy you are? Can you repack your own bearings, rotate tires, and adjust brakes? If not, that's $300 or so. List goes on. Insurance on mine is $900, I have an extended warranty, so I'm limited to $100 on repairs per episode on mechanical failures. For regular upkeep, it's less than $200 on supplies for cleaning, sealant, and the like. Bottom line, if you have to run it in to a dealer or repair facility, it can be pricey. If you're a do it yourself kind of person, it's not bad. Stay tuned to this forum. There are four or five guys here that could build a unit from scratch here. You'll learn a lot, and they'll walk you through most anything you have to fix. Pull the trigger and buy! Crappy investment but a great lifestyle and a lot of fun.
Rusty

2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #3

British Columbia
What Rusry said.

I spend less than $200 a year on the routine maintenance supplies. I do all my own maintenance on the truck. I've got everything I need for the rolling parts, except for a set of grease seals for the axles in my garage. Also got everything I need for the house part of the rig, except for a tube of self leveling sealant for the roof.

I buy absolutely no over-priced dealer stuff, there is pretty much nothing (except for appliances) that isn't used in other applications in the day to day world.

My local auto parts store has a great selection of RV supplies, Walmart has an RV section. I have a building supply company that sells EPMD roofing supplies. The list gos on, if you shop around you'll probably find that you have access to many of the same products. The prices are generally 30-50% less than the stealership.

A camper is just a big old hole in the road that you pour money into, but you have control over how much of your hard earned cash you pour into it.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 12:45 AM   #4

Nevada
Jim and Rusty, hit it on the head, I am one of those that rebuild Truck Campers and now finding more about my 5th wheel, One of the main things is to do that maintenance, you don't have to do it all at once, I start on the roof, because water is the main killer of RV's After Winter, I start Waxing in the front and after I work on it (43ft) it summer, out to camp, then by the start of winter its done......I take my time 2 to 3 hours here and there, that way you don't get burned out.....I just finished redoing a Truck Camper that had some body damage, after I took apart the side wall, I could see some water damage, from the outside you couldn't see it, I checked the roof, they had a small cut in the rubber roof from putting a storage Box on top, He told me the box was up there 2 years ago, He didn't check his roof every year!!
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote