Aggravated Owner! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #1

Arkansas
Aggravated Owner!

Greetings. I am not sure if others have or are experiencing the same types of issues as I am due to poor quality parts - but I thought I would share. We have a 2015 Voltage 3805 that we truly love, however, after just 3 years we are now having our 3rd primary AC unit installed. This last failure occurred over the Labor Day holiday. I always keep the fan on HIGH when it's hot and humid to prevent freezing, but this time it still froze up overnite and became a rain head shower in the middle of the living room. It sprayed the melting ice all over the cabinets and TV, which some of the water wicked into the cabinet trim causing the press board material to swell. The AC is under warranty since it is less than a year old - but Dometic will not pay for other damages caused by their faulty equipment. In addition, the bedroom AC unit quit blowing cold over the weekend - and it has been "serviced" twice before for the same problem.

Next, my rig is kept in indoors storage and not subjected to weather unless being used for the occasional outing. My main awning has probably only been extended 10 times in 3 years for a weekend stay at most. This weekend over Labor Day I noticed 3 places each approximately 1' long along the length of the awning where the fabric has begun to delaminate...out of warranty. Really? I have had 3 other RV's over the years with having the last unit 13 years before trading in on my new Voltage and NEVER had a problem with the AC or awning over those years.

Sorry for the lengthy rant, but is anyone else experiencing similar issues on a "new" camper?

2002 Goldwing Trike
SuperDuty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #2

Florida
I feel your pain!!!

franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:11 PM   #3

Ontario
Have you inspected the air ducts? Mine were all plugged up with debris and collapsing. Some work on my part made it work a lot better. The duct problem could be contributing to your freezing problem.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:46 PM   #4

Idaho
Definitely check the ducting for restrictions. I'm no RV mechanic but I am an HVAC journeyman and senior install/service tech with about 13 years experience in residential HVAC. Most commonly 2 things will cause an evap coil to ice up. 1st, not enough air. This can be supply or return, so check the ducting. 2nd, low on refrigerant. I would have a hard time believing that's the issue with a sealed system. I could be wrong and somehow you keep getting lemons but I would suspect the ducting.
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #5

Arkansas
Thanks for the suggestions. Turns out from dealer that this is another “lemon” unit that was replaced on Donetic’s dime. How long it lasts is still to be determined since I am end of cooling season. I’ll let everyone know when I use it if it is still cooling. That’s 3 AC’s in 3 years...all because they failed. Domestic needs to up their game!
Old 09-12-2018, 11:56 PM   #6

Arkansas
Sorry for previous typos...I was responding from my phone...
2002 Goldwing Trike
Old 09-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #7

California
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with Voltage TH. I own a 2016 3605 Voltage and have structural problems with the suspension. I guess I'm lucky not having a.c. issues other than no air flow in the garage. I have two units which is ridiculous in trying to cool the garage with a 4"×2 "vent on a 40' trailer. Your problems are small compared to what I'm looking at with my TH. Snapped a leaf spring, damaged Eqaflex system and bent the frame. All this happened on my last trip while traveling to Colorado. Ready to cash out on the insurance claim if I can. Done with Dutchman coaches.
dmcvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #8

Florida
I have a 2007 Northshore made by Dutchmen , it also is very poorly build ..
I bought it new and it was delivered and set up on my lot in a campground , so just to say , that trailer was only on the road for the 20 miles delivery trip .
After a year , all the kitchen drawers gliding system were broken , all the kitchen and bathroom door's cupboard safety locks are broken , some delamination on the bedroom slide out wall due to cheap glue , changed the converter 3 times , leaking faucets in bathroom , shower and kitchen sink , half time oven microwave set up doesn't work ( but the oven still do ) and i could go on ..
That trailer is used about 1 weekend a month , and all those problems occurred in the first 3 years of use ..
I will never buy another RV made by this manufacturer ..
affenqld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 04:06 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by affenqld View Post
I have a 2007 Northshore made by Dutchmen , it also is very poorly build ..
I bought it new and it was delivered and set up on my lot in a campground , so just to say , that trailer was only on the road for the 20 miles delivery trip .
After a year , all the kitchen drawers gliding system were broken , all the kitchen and bathroom door's cupboard safety locks are broken , some delamination on the bedroom slide out wall due to cheap glue , changed the converter 3 times , leaking faucets in bathroom , shower and kitchen sink , half time oven microwave set up doesn't work ( but the oven still do ) and i could go on ..
That trailer is used about 1 weekend a month , and all those problems occurred in the first 3 years of use ..
I will never buy another RV made by this manufacturer ..

Seems like these things fall apart rather quickly.
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #10

Arizona
I too, have a 2016 Voltage, and have had many more issues than I had with our 2013 unit. (Too many to list!) I've been told by knowledgeable folks that the 2016's were built during an owner transition period, (I believe Dutchman was purchased by Keystone) and that the overall quality suffered.
Ross31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:27 AM   #11

Illinois
I can only hope that my 2019 Forest River will be as trouble-free as my 2015 Voltage 3990. Loved that unit, but after living in after a few seasons, I grew to dislike the layout. Live and learn. Regardless, beautiful unit and almost trouble free.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross31 View Post
I too, have a 2016 Voltage, and have had many more issues than I had with our 2013 unit. (Too many to list!) I've been told by knowledgeable folks that the 2016's were built during an owner transition period, (I believe Dutchman was purchased by Keystone) and that the overall quality suffered.

Both Dutchmen and Keystone are owned by Thor. The scuttlebutt was that the Dutchmen management team was doing such a poor job with everything that they were gotten rid of and Dutchmen was put under the Keystone management team. Happened around 2015.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #13

Arizona
You can read in my other posts what I did to fix the a/c air flow and some other things. The one sore spot is the Schwintek on the main slide, which is still an issue. My rig sits out in the Arizona sun and the awning has, so far, had no issues.

I guess my 2014 Voltage wasn't as poorly built as the later models as I've towed it across the USA several times without any issues.

The only issue I have with THOR is when their name is on an RV, such as the THOR Challenger and Palazzo motorhomes, which means it's usually junk. The makers that THOR owns are usually OK.

azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote