Advice needed: 2016 Epic Voltage 3895 or 2014 Epic 3970 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #1

Arizona
Advice needed: 2016 Epic Voltage 3895 or 2014 Epic 3970

Hello. I am looking at both units priced respectively. The 3895 has the Mor Ryde zero gravity rear ramp door and cable slides and the 3970 has standard door and Schwintek slides. Both in excellent condition. I would appreciate any advice/ input on layout and the aforementioned differences. Thanks for the help...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bigpuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:41 PM   #2

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpuddie View Post
Hello. I am looking at both units priced respectively. The 3895 has the Mor Ryde zero gravity rear ramp door and cable slides and the 3970 has standard door and Schwintek slides. Both in excellent condition. I would appreciate any advice/ input on layout and the aforementioned differences. Thanks for the help...
Can't help on the layout, as that's simply personal preference...

Schwintek vs. cable slides:

If installed correctly (and that is the key!) the Schwintek system is nearly maintenance free... whereas cable systems need occasional adjustments. The biggest thing about the Schwintek is that the slide has to not only be installed perfectly square, but the tracks that it rides on must also be squared & parallel to each other. The tolerances are VERY small. If they're off, the slide will move unevenly, and even possibly jump the track... forcing lengthy & costly repairs.

If I had to venture an opinion, I'd say most of us have been okay... but we've also seen/read/heard of some real horror stories with them.

Ramp Door:

I have no experience with the new anti-gravity doors, but have seen them on neighboring rigs. Personally, I have no trouble raising or lowering my manual ramp... even with lingering effects from a spinal-cord injury... so that wouldn't be a deal breaker/maker for me. The biggest thing to ensure is the sturdiness of construction of the ramp itself, and that it's watertight... especially if it includes the optional patio kit, and you plan on leaving it open in the rain.

2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCguy View Post
Can't help on the layout, as that's simply personal preference...

Schwintek vs. cable slides:

If installed correctly (and that is the key!) the Schwintek system is nearly maintenance free... whereas cable systems need occasional adjustments. The biggest thing about the Schwintek is that the slide has to not only be installed perfectly square, but the tracks that it rides on must also be squared & parallel to each other. The tolerances are VERY small. If they're off, the slide will move unevenly, and even possibly jump the track... forcing lengthy & costly repairs.

If I had to venture an opinion, I'd say most of us have been okay... but we've also seen/read/heard of some real horror stories with them.

Ramp Door:

I have no experience with the new anti-gravity doors, but have seen them on neighboring rigs. Personally, I have no trouble raising or lowering my manual ramp... even with lingering effects from a spinal-cord injury... so that wouldn't be a deal breaker/maker for me. The biggest thing to ensure is the sturdiness of construction of the ramp itself, and that it's watertight... especially if it includes the optional patio kit, and you plan on leaving it open in the rain.
Thanks for the reply. I have had no issues with standard ramp either. My worry is the Zero gravity door has an electric mechanism on the lock. As for Schwintek slides, I guess you either get a good one or you don't with the tight tolerances. I appreciate your time

Old 11-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Just as an FYI... Schwintek slides have a tolerance of 1/8" ±. That is not very much, I have seen more than a few where they were literally inches out of tolerance. They were bad enough that I noticed them while walking by the unit on the dealer's lot. I have Schwintek on my Coachman, and so far they have been trouble free for over 2 years. I did have to re-sync the smaller bedroom slide once for some reason. Neither of my slides are particularly large either.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:40 PM   #5

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Just as an FYI... Schwintek slides have a tolerance of 1/8" ±. That is not very much, I have seen more than a few where they were literally inches out of tolerance. They were bad enough that I noticed them while walking by the unit on the dealer's lot. I have Schwintek on my Coachman, and so far they have been trouble free for over 2 years. I did have to re-sync the smaller bedroom slide once for some reason. Neither of my slides are particularly large either.

Aaron
Thanks for the info Aaron!

Old 11-06-2017, 02:00 AM   #6

Arizona
I've gotten to open and close the new zero-g door at work and it's real nice, much lighter felling than the older door on my 3600.

ATC is right about the Schwinntek slides. Seems the trailers had much trouble with that system so now Voltage has the cable slides. Lots of our motorhomes at work have Schwinntek, some on full wall slides, and they work fine, even when the coach is way off level. It's all about the installation. But cable has problems too. We delivered a 3970 to a customer recently, set it up, and one of the slides didn't extend out all the way. Guess it got out of adjustment.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:04 AM   #7

Arizona
Thanks for the insight. Since you work on them, if give a choice, would you go with cables or Schwintek slides?

Old 11-07-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
RDJ

Washington
On our new 3970 the Zero Gravity door is great, as far as the cable slides I have them on our Montana Fifth Wheel, they are nice but on the Voltage, they fall short of going all the way out by about 3 inches, I read somewhere that Voltage did not redesign the slide frame from the Schwintek to accommodate the cable slide brackets so they hit the frame on the inside
Old 11-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #9

Arizona
Thanks RDJ. Do the cables just need adjusted? How do you like your Voltage so far?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 PM   #10

Illinois
3990 is 3 years old. Adjusted twice. Knock on wood, never had a problem.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 AM   #11
RDJ

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpuddie View Post
Thanks RDJ. Do the cables just need adjusted? How do you like your Voltage so far?

Have not been able to use the Voltage much since purchase but heading to AZ in January, so far we love it, the cable slides need adjusting from time to time, fairly simple to do
Old 11-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #12

Utah
Had Swintech and will never do it again. Really Really bad and expensive in my case. Now have cable slides and like I said, will NEVER go back.
Grizzly660fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #13

Colorado
I have the cable slides (2) in my 2016 3200. They have always worked flawlessly. We don't use the trailer heavily, so don't know about longevity.

Based on reviews on the Schwintek system, no thanks...
Its4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:43 PM   #14

Arizona
Thanks for the replies

Old 11-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #15

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
3990 is 3 years old. Adjusted twice. Knock on wood, never had a problem.
Rusty
Good to hear

Old 12-03-2017, 12:00 AM   #16

Colorado
2013 3950 Schwintek slides. Had one bad motor when we bought it. Replaced that motor and have had no problems with at least 100 in and out movements. Most importantly have to keep them lubed up with some silicone spray every 10 cycles.

Lilnuts is offline   Reply With Quote