Ac draining water inside my rig - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Michigan
Ac draining water inside my rig

Hi everyone
I woke up this morning and had water from my main ac running out of my return air duck!!
I also went outside to see if any water was running off the roof and seen nothing.
So does this mean that I should start by removing the ac from the roof? Or is there a drain tube somewhere that my have come off?
Any help would be great cuz it's going to be 90 dregs today !!!!! Lol thanks

Toolmaker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
Pull the top cover off the A/C, sounds like your drain hole is plugged, or the trailer is tilted the wrong way. While you are up there give the hold down bolts a quarter turn to make sure they are snug, if they are stripped (not an uncommon occurrence) then you have another issue to deal with.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #3

Michigan
Ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Pull the top cover off the A/C, sounds like your drain hole is plugged, or the trailer is tilted the wrong way. While you are up there give the hold down bolts a quarter turn to make sure they are snug, if they are stripped (not an uncommon occurrence) then you have another issue to deal with.

Aaron
Ok new to this . When the cover is off do I look for a hose? Don't the ac just drain onto the roof right ? Thank you for your help
Old 07-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmaker89 View Post
Ok new to this . When the cover is off do I look for a hose? Don't the ac just drain onto the roof right ? Thank you for your help
Should just be a hole in the pan somewhere.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #5

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Should just be a hole in the pan somewhere.

Aaron
Ok thank you for your help !!
John
Old 07-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

Texas
I experienced the same issue this weekend, but it was all my fault.

Last month I was pulling through an alley and caught an overhead wire that popped my front AC shroud off. I grabbed it up and drove home and was able to re attached it by simply drilling new screw holes offset from the ones that broke out.

This weekend when I set up I opened the quick cool on the front AC and noticed light? I went up to investigate and discovered that on the drive home, without the shroud, I lost the clam shell Styrofoam top that surrounds the blower fan so only cool inside air can recirculate. I was able to tape a cardboard box to cover most of the blower and improve the air flow, however, it didn't seal it off completely and allowed condensation to drip down on the the bed.

I found a replacement online for $16... that will be one of my less expensive RV lessons!!!

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:48 AM   #7

Michigan
Ac

Quote:
Hi everyone
I woke up this morning and had water from my main ac running out of my return air duck!!
I also went outside to see if any water was running off the roof and seen nothing.
So does this mean that I should start by removing the ac from the roof? Or is there a drain tube somewhere that my have come off?
Any help would be great cuz it's going to be 90 dregs today !!!!! Lol thanks

I looked at the ac last night and this is what I found out.
I removed the two air return vents to see if they were pulling air back. It appears to work ok
Then went on top and revolved cover. Checked to see if the drain was pluged and it wasn't .
Turned on the air and no water draining at all!!!! . But as soon as I removed the sheet metal from the air return box the water poured out!!!!! I put it back on and it stops again !!!
With it on the vents in my rig seem to be pulling air just fine???
So the only way I could get it to drain right was to leave part of the sheet metal open .
So does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?
Thx for any help. John
Old 08-15-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

Michigan
Ac update

Quote:
I looked at the ac last night and this is what I found out.
I removed the two air return vents to see if they were pulling air back. It appears to work ok
Then went on top and revolved cover. Checked to see if the drain was pluged and it wasn't .
Turned on the air and no water draining at all!!!! . But as soon as I removed the sheet metal from the air return box the water poured out!!!!! I put it back on and it stops again !!!
With it on the vents in my rig seem to be pulling air just fine???
So the only way I could get it to drain right was to leave part of the sheet metal open .
So does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem?
Thx for any help. John
UPDATE:
When I got back home looked everything over again and didn't see anything wrong.
So I put everything back the way it was and pluged the power back on .
Ran the ac for three days straight and not a drop on water inside !!!!
So all I can say is not sure what happen but happy it's good for now.
Thanks for all the help .
John
Old 08-17-2015, 11:18 PM   #9

Pennsylvania
Last year while operating both AC units when it was in the mid 90's and very high humidity I had water dripping on the floor from the AC vents. I checked in the vents and determined my problem to be condensation. It probably did not help that I had my ramp door open and using it as a deck. There is not much weather proofing between the garage and living area. I won't be doing that again. I have not noticed a problem when keeping the ramp door closed when it is hot and humid.