3950 ground clearance - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2014, 03:29 AM   #21

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
Splash I was going to have the fab shop start on mine next week. I was thinking 4" below frame???? You have used them what do you think. Also anything else you would do different. Thanks that was a great idea
I think you are spot on, i should have said 5-7 inches below the frame... which is slightly above the body.

splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 12:09 AM   #22

Virginia
Splash- What material did they use? Looks like all box tubing but one pic looks like angle iron.

When you did not have the hitch, did you still use the cross tubing or just the sleds?

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:34 AM   #23

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4play View Post
Splash- What material did they use? Looks like all box tubing but one pic looks like angle iron.

When you did not have the hitch, did you still use the cross tubing or just the sleds?
without the hitch, there were not crossmembers like you see in these pictures, just additional welded reinforcements sheets down the I-beam frame. This rig is box framed, along I-beam frame rails, and accross the front and rear with another for the hitch in the center. The key to performance is the skid plate "taper" that functions whether moving forward or backward, and having enough surface area to float rather than dig. The pictures show a tapered surface plate welded to custom cut box steel, that allows the odd shape... and also incorporates the slight drop from I-beam frame to rear crossmember, strengthening everything.
splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:48 PM   #24

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
Just purchased a used 3950 toy hauler and we are very excited. Waiting for delivery. We had a 36' Zinger tt we always took two rigs to haul the side by side and motorcycles. I went over all the spots we camp and decided I would be able to make all the turns (I transport manufactured homes for a living). Now......I am worrying about the clearance of frame to ground. Does anybody know the measurement from frame to ground. Has anybody ever tried to raise one to get more ground clearance?
We do lots of camping off road in the bush while we ATV and have looked into lifting our Voltage 3200 to avoid dragging the rear end through the ditch or mud. Standends Spring shop ( Heavy truck repair shop) in Calgary Alberta will do a complete frame lift from 2"-4" in height for about $1200.00 Canadian. That is the only way to lift the trailer since they come with the springs on the axle already. They unmount the entire frame and lift the trailer body and remount to the frame. This will allow to pull level and increase your ground clearance as well.

Hope that helps

Troy
2015 Commander 800XT
switz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:43 AM   #25

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash View Post
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-albums73.html

i can drag rear on any surface... numerous sets of indutrial rollers, and now problem solved... 2nd rig and boondocking in shoe box locations... rock, pavement, curb, downed tree... no matter
Came to light yesterday that Michigan has changed the max length for tandem towing to 75'. Looks like I will go this route instead of the rollers I had purchased - just in case
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:26 PM   #26

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz01 View Post
We do lots of camping off road in the bush while we ATV and have looked into lifting our Voltage 3200 to avoid dragging the rear end through the ditch or mud. Standends Spring shop ( Heavy truck repair shop) in Calgary Alberta will do a complete frame lift from 2"-4" in height for about $1200.00 Canadian. That is the only way to lift the trailer since they come with the springs on the axle already. They unmount the entire frame and lift the trailer body and remount to the frame. This will allow to pull level and increase your ground clearance as well.

Hope that helps

Troy
Another option would be the Correct Track system. I was looking at it a while back, not only does it align the axles so they track straight down the road, saving wear and tear on your tires, but it also lifts the trailer two inches. Cheaper than the $1200.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 AM   #27

Michigan
Quote:
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...-albums73.html

i can drag rear on any surface... numerous sets of indutrial rollers, and now problem solved... 2nd rig and boondocking in shoe box locations... rock, pavement, curb, downed tree... no matter
Splash - care to share dimensions so we commoners don't have to reinvent the wheel?
Old 01-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #28

Washington
So mine finally showed up. Looks nice and we are very happy with it. Now to start on some of the stuff I've read on this forum. First thing is going to be the idea splash had for the skids. So I have some brackets that I use for tie downs an our manufactured homes they clamp onto the frame with 4 bolts. I was thinking of having each skid welded to these (2 on each side) For 2 reasons 1-I can take them off if I ever get rid of it and 2- I wont have to leave my unit at the welding shop. Any thoughts?
Ok one more thing because there is a lot of people with good ideas and very knowledgeable, after looking at the unit is there a reason you couldn't have blocks made for between the axle and spring and then put in longer u-bolts?
Maybe somebody has tried this......or maybe it just wont work.

Can anybody point me to a thread that deals with ideas to set up a fifth wheel hitch on a flat bed that has the 2 5/16 hidden ball built in? Need to be able to take it off quick so I can use the flatbed at work.
Thanks for all the help!!!!!
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #29

Virginia
B&W Companion Hitch

Can anybody point me to a thread that deals with ideas to set up a fifth wheel hitch on a flat bed that has the 2 5/16 hidden ball built in? Need to be able to take it off quick so I can use the flatbed at work.
Thanks for all the help!!!!![/QUOTE]

This is what I use and it has been great. It allows you to set the pin 6" back, which increases your turning ability.

B & W RVK3500 Companion 5th Wheel RV Hitch for Pickups - NEW 20,000 lbs GTW [RVK3500] | $879.00 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bw-companion-fifth-wheel-hitch.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	1721  

Phil
2014 Voltage 3950 Epic III
2016 Ram 3500 Diesel 4wd, Long Horn Dually long bed
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #30

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto4play View Post
Thanks for all the help!!!!!

This is what I use and it has been great. It allows you to set the pin 6" back, which increases your turning ability.

B & W RVK3500 Companion 5th Wheel RV Hitch for Pickups - NEW 20,000 lbs GTW [RVK3500] | $879.00 | SD Truck Springs | Leaf Springs, Helper Springs and Suspension Parts[/QUOTE]

I use the B&W Fifth Wheel Companion and love it - if I recall the install instructions were pretty straight forward for setting up the hitch height as well as the forward-rear setup, but it has been awhile.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:20 AM   #31

Washington
Moto4play and donzinger I'm going to start a new thread on the flatbed conversion .....I have measurements and a lot of questions. Will you two please watch and put you input in.......thanks.
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:59 PM   #32

California
Quote:
without the hitch, there were not crossmembers like you see in these pictures, just additional welded reinforcements sheets down the I-beam frame. This rig is box framed, along I-beam frame rails, and accross the front and rear with another for the hitch in the center. The key to performance is the skid plate "taper" that functions whether moving forward or backward, and having enough surface area to float rather than dig. The pictures show a tapered surface plate welded to custom cut box steel, that allows the odd shape... and also incorporates the slight drop from I-beam frame to rear crossmember, strengthening everything.
Splash,
I drag my '16 3805 hpjust getting into my driveway. Screwed up my rear corner trip just bring my new trailer home..😡 Very interested in what you have done, any pictures by chance?

Thanks for any help.

Chuck

Old Goat is offline   Reply With Quote