3950 exterior lights - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2014, 01:53 AM   #1

Florida
3950 exterior lights

Well after two days of ownership, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, this toy hauler has the worst owners manual for ANY product I have ever seen. Kids electronic toys give better system descriptions than this manual. I am sure this could be a long thread on the manual by itself.

Anyway, since the manual doesn't say anything, can some one tell me how to turn off the exterior light directly above the utility hookup compartment (between the bedroom and living room slides)? I have tried every switch I can find and it has been on ever since I brought it home. I am sure I would make some of the happy campers very unhappy if I pulled in for the night with that thing shining all night...

The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:14 AM   #2

Texas
On my 3895 all of the exterior light switches are on the top row of the monitor panel...
Except the front scare light on the entry side operates off the Linc touchscreen.

Does your touchscreen control the off door scare light???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:52 AM   #3

Wyoming
If it's like my 3200... it should be the top row center switch of the WORK LIGHTS.

My top row light switches are as follows (L to R):

Step lights... Front light (curbside)... Street-side light(between the slides)... Rear Lighrs (ramp door)... Porch Lights (curbside over the doors)

Not sure if yours are the same or not...
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:00 AM   #4

Nevada
You got a manual?
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 04:51 AM   #5

Maryland
My 3950 has the exterior lights across the top row in the control panel. The first is for the below stair lights, then (IIRC) there is the security lights (rear), then two work lights. The first should be the one you are needing and the other controls the lights above the entry doors. The front light works off the Linc panel...

Wait until you start trying to figure out how to find good lighting in the living room... I just dropped the ceiling panel above the couch and installed a pull chain to turn off the LED lights so I can utilize just the sconce lights.

Cale

TH: 2014 Voltage 3950, Sailun S637 all around
calewjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #6

Mississippi
Had read where someone else did the chain pull to control overhead lights above couch. I also have a 3950 did you put the pull chain on right side or left side as you face the couch?
Thanks for your input!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Had read where someone else did the chain pull to control overhead lights above couch. I also have a 3950 did you put the pull chain on right side or left side as you face the couch?
Thanks for your input!
Sorry for the thread high jack....this will be a good upgrade once he figures out how to turn the outside lights off...

Sure, try this pic....it is on the left as you look at it. Remove that one light, unwire nut it, remove the screws from the ceiling and drop down....had to enlarge hole and remove styrofoam on the ceiling itself....used instant grab Liquid nails to secure the wood portion of ceiling back up....all in all, about an hour job. I had to extend the wires so I had something to work with when ceiling was back together....they used 10 gauge wire....really big...I also redid all the wire nuts and taped the, up...

I should note, I also found it on here, it was a thread dating back to 2013... My next project will be the island lights above the sink.

Cale

Old 12-09-2014, 01:57 PM   #8

Oklahoma
My advice would be to put the wife outside looking at the light, then operate every switch in the panel. When she yells, that is the switch you are looking for. LOL. It wouldn't even surprise me to find that the switch for it is upside down, so it looks like it is off, but is really on.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:50 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by macman83 View Post
It wouldn't even surprise me to find that the switch for it is upside down, so it looks like it is off, but is really on.
You might be on to something there, because all switches are in the off position now. I will check that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
You got a manual?
Yes I have a manual, and yes I read it, other wise I would not have made these statements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Well after two days of ownership, I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, this toy hauler has the worst owners manual for ANY product I have ever seen. Kids electronic toys give better system descriptions than this manual. I am sure this could be a long thread on the manual by itself.

Anyway, since the manual doesn't say anything, can some one tell me how to turn off the exterior light
Old 12-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #10

Nevada
Quote:

Yes I have a manual, and yes I read it, other wise I would not have made these statements:
I didn't get anything close to a manual.
Race Bikes
Brandt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandt51 View Post
I didn't get anything close to a manual.
The definition of "manual" varies... I have Manuals for my vintage Airstreams that rival many shop manuals for cars. I also have "manuals" for my Coleman by Dutchmen/Keystone that are little more than advertising "we have a great product" along with a redirect to a website for more information. Yup I have the ability to download and read directions when in a campsite miles from the nearest cellphone service.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:12 PM   #12

Florida
Well the great mystery has been solved.
ATC guy's panel is labeled in order just like mine except that the security light #2 is being controlled by the LCI remote. What a poor choice of light to control remotely!

While I was going through all of the switches again I found several that are miss wired. On my PDI, I turned on all the switches and made sure all bulbs and LEDs worked, never thought to check the lables on the panel but today I found:

-The first switch marked "steps" controls the awning LEDs.

-The step lights are actually controlled by the wall mounted switch next to the thermostat, again poor choice. What should that switch be for?
-The security light switch #2 switch is not even installed and has a blank off there.
- Why would the work lights above the garage be controlled from the switch panel so far forward? A switch in the garage makes much more sense, or if you feel the need to have that switch up there, make it a two way switch with second switch in the garage.

I will soon have that switch next to the thermostat (what ever it should have bben for?) control a 12 volt motion sensor light mounted inside the entry door, we like to ride our RSX 850 gator at night too and I hate walking into the dark camper fumbling with that switch panel.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:40 PM   #13

Wyoming
Quote:

I will soon have that switch next to the thermostat (what ever it should have bben for?) control a 12 volt motion sensor light mounted inside the entry door, we like to ride our RSX 850 gator at night too and I hate walking into the dark camper fumbling with that switch panel.

Well, maybe something else isn't wired correctly either...

My 3200 has a puck light above the side door to the LR that automatically illuminates whether the door is opened. No need for a motion sensor...

Maybe yours should be that way too?

I'll be passing just north of you tomorrow on I-10, enroute to Milton KOA where I'll be staying tomorrow night. I'll be sure to look south & wave!
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:21 AM   #14

Maryland
Quote:
ATC guy's panel is labeled in order just like mine except that the security light #2 is being controlled by the LCI remote. What a poor choice of light to control remotely!

While I was going through all of the switches again I found several that are miss wired. On my PDI, I turned on all the switches and made sure all bulbs and LEDs worked, never thought to check the lables on the panel but today I found:

-The first switch marked "steps" controls the awning LEDs.

-The step lights are actually controlled by the wall mounted switch next to the thermostat, again poor choice. What should that switch be for?
-The security light switch #2 switch is not even installed and has a blank off there.
- Why would the work lights above the garage be controlled from the switch panel so far forward? A switch in the garage makes much more sense, or if you feel the need to have that switch up there, make it a two way switch with second switch in the garage.

It took me a while to figure out the switch near the thermostat was for....I eventually found out that it was for the awning LED strip light.....I had to get a power supply box for it, but it works like a champ now. I have it set for flashing colors now, good for Christmas.

Cale

Old 12-10-2014, 04:20 PM   #15

Texas
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedToad View Post
On my 3895 all of the exterior light switches are on the top row of the monitor panel...
Except the front scare light on the entry side operates off the Linc touchscreen.

Does your touchscreen control the off door scare light???
I think your remote should control the front door side scare light (mine does)... then you could use it when you come in from riding at night???

Mike & Helen
2014 Voltage 3895 EPIC III
2013 Ford F350 CC DRW FX4
HornedToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 03:41 PM   #16

Arizona
If you have a remote that operates the slides and the awnings there is a button for the light, try that one.

InTheWoods is offline   Reply With Quote