3200 and solar install - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #1

Colorado
3200 and solar install

I have 2012 Voltage 3200 toy hauler and I am considering a 200 watt solar install. The install is not the issue, but more so where to run the solar wiring from the panels to the batteries. The cabiantes at the head of the bed only extend half way down. I would like to have the wiring hidden. The batteries are below the master bed in the generator bay. If there are any Voltage 3200 owners out there who have installed solar on their rigs, please post as to where you ran you wiring.
Thanks, Chris.

Squiggycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:51 AM   #2

Oregon
I don't have a Voltage but in preparation for putting solar on my Rig I watched several you tube videos. One way is to remove the cover from the refrigerator vent on the roof and route the wires into the trailer. From there you may be able to route the wires where they need to go behind the cabinets.

Depending on how many batteries you have 200 amps might be a little light.

1l243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #3

Michigan
I ran the cables down the inside of my grey water tank vent. Removed the cap, cut a notch in the pipe with a round file, cut a section of the pipe in the basement and cut the same notch. Run the cable down the pipe and out the notch in the basement. PVC cement a coupling into the sectioned out piece, silicone the notch. On the roof put the cable in to the notch and replace the cap and use roof sealant.

First two pics you can see the cables entering under the vent pipe. Third pic you can see the white coupling on the left vent pipe where the cables are exiting the vent pipe.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140518_143904.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	5302   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140531_102854.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	5303   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150501_104148.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	5304  
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:47 PM   #4

Montana
I drilled a hole in the roof, put an junction box on top of the hole, then ran the wires through electrical conduit along interior wall corner and floor to the charge controller. The charge controller is located close to the batteries. You have not mentioned a charge controller, you'll need one.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #5

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I ran the cables down the inside of my grey water tank vent. Removed the cap, cut a notch in the pipe with a round file, cut a section of the pipe in the basement and cut the same notch. Run the cable down the pipe and out the notch in the basement. PVC cement a coupling into the sectioned out piece, silicone the notch. On the roof put the cable in to the notch and replace the cap and use roof sealant.

First two pics you can see the cables entering under the vent pipe. Third pic you can see the white coupling on the left vent pipe where the cables are exiting the vent pipe.

Hope this helps.
Exactly how er ran ours. Had to take off the black divider in the storage compartment to expose the mess lol, but we installed our wiring and inverter behind that black fabric board. Then ran the wires from the inverter through the storage compartment to the battery compartment. Only about a 6 ft run.
campincaptain is offline   Reply With Quote