3 season door - is dealer right, or stupid? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Georgia
Exclamation 3 season door - is dealer right, or stupid?

getting ready to go full time in my 2015 Voltage 3605 next week; took it up to dealer for thorough inspection (bought from individual), some updates, and an orientation (when I pick up). Making sure in top condition before I start my new life ! Here are some of the things I requested that they say can't be done - are they right, or are they idiots? These are the things I wanted MOST!

1. MOST IMPORTANT - 3-season door. They say can't be put on my rig. Agent said to call parts guy directly for explanation as he didn't put anything down. I've been reading of 3-season doors being installed on Voltages going back several model years. ???? This would suck!! It's the one thing that was a must have for me!!

2. I asked them to get me a pair of steps (like mor-ryde) to go off the patio. They state these types of steps hook on a rail and my patio isn't set up to accept them. ??? Can a modification be made to put some steps back there? I hate that I wouldn't be able to go on and off the patio. treking in and out through the garage man door isn't really what I want to do - plus I need patio steps for the dog. Any suggestions on alternatives?

3. I asked for a vent to be installed so I could use a vented dryer. They state they don't know how that could be done since my hookup is in the middle of the garage (between 1/2 bath door and cabin door). ??? Has anyone been able to accomplish this? From all I've read, I don't want a ventless w/d. NEED TO GIVE THEM ANSWER ON INSTALLING VENTLESS SET FOR $1600 - DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO BRING BACK AGAIN IF IT TURNS OUT THERE IS NO WAY TO VENT.

4. This was a shot in the dark, but I asked them anyway - if anyone here as any ideas: I asked them if it was possible to put some gas shocks on the ramp door to "slow the roll" - they said they didn't know of a way to do it. Anyone have an opinion on it being worthwhile taking it to a storage / hauling trailer place to see if they could do it?

5. Lastly - the screen in the garage is detached on the sides, loose, all kinds of critters big and small could get in - that's not normal, is it?? What good would that be? It looks like it's been pulled out. The notes on the proposed work order are "floats in track, will show at orientation". I'm just wanting to know if the sides being completely open is normal? If not then I need to be sure they fix it before I take the rig back. Maybe they did fix it, but the work order doesn't say they did.

TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE IF YOU HAVE TIME TO GET BACK TO ME IN THE NEXT DAY OR SO

Contessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:19 PM   #2

Oklahoma
With a little imagination and ingenuity almost anything can be accomplished.
A dealer will not take the time or nor do they have the talent to do the things you want.
You may not be able to find off the shelf stairs for the ramp but a welder can fabricate a set. Three season doors may not be available for your RV but one member here fashioned a set for themselves.
The dryer vent may be able to be routed through the floor instead of a wall.
The ramp door might be a little more difficult because of the size needed and the cost of the size. Rubber bumpers could be placed under the springs to add more resistance to them thereby slowing the drop speed of the ramp. Here again, a member here has done that and had shown the web site to obtain same.
Dealers sell products and try to manage warranty claims. These are things they know and will make them money. Engineering options are not in their level of expertise. Making money is first and foremost.
These things can be done, you just need to find someone with a thinking brain that can fashion these things for you.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #3

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Contessa View Post

1. MOST IMPORTANT - 3-season door...
Your dealer is correct... to a point. Lippert is the company that makes the doors (and many other components on your rig)... and while you can buy "replacement parts" to repair a set that was originally installed at the factory, they will NOT sell the kit as an aftermarket item. As such, your dealer has no way to source them. Lippert requires any one buying said parts to provide the rig's VIN so they can verify it was installed as an OEM component at the factory.

That said, you can sometimes find someone on eBay or Craigslist who has removed them from their rig as an unnecessary/unwanted item, and purchase them that way. That's how I got mine. There are 2 different size kits (depending on the height of your ramp door), so you'll need to know which one you need. The doors themselves are the same size, but the frame pieces are different. You can modify/cut down the larger size to fit the shorter door... but obviously can't do the reverse.

Quote:
2. I asked them to get me a pair of steps (like mor-ryde) to go off the patio.
Same deal as above.

Quote:
3. I asked for a vent to be installed so I could use a vented dryer.
Installing a vent is as simple as being brave enough & willing to cut a new hole in the side of your rig... or, even in the floor. That said, I've been using a Splendide ventless washer/dryer (7100XC) in my rig for 4 years now with no issues.

Quote:
4. ...I asked them if it was possible to put some gas shocks on the ramp door to "slow the roll"
As Sundancer said, anything is possible... but unless you have a debilitating disability, I don't think you'll need them. I've had a spinal cord injury, leaving me with limited use of my right arm, and I can still open & close the ramp with little effort.

Quote:
5. Lastly - the screen in the garage is detached on the sides, loose, all kinds of critters big and small could get in - that's not normal, is it??
No, not normal. But, all in all, I found the screen completely useless before I removed it when installing my 3-season doors. I think I maybe used it twice in the year I had it.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:54 PM   #4

Ontario
What's a 3 season door?

When it's really cold out (under 25F), we have a heavy curtain we hang over the door.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

Wyoming
https://www.lci1.com/three-seasons-patio-door

Check out this thread for discussion... my install project begins with post #36:

http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...rs-1380-2.html
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:00 AM   #6

Ontario
Oh - PATIO DOOR. I don't open ramp except to load / unload so it never occurred to me that you meant patio door.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:03 AM   #7

Oklahoma
3season doors

There is a set of doors on the Dutchman forum in classifieds

Hvacman is offline   Reply With Quote