$280 Mistake! - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 01-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #1

Virginia
$280 Mistake!

Just got done replacing my carburetor on my generator. The generator would warm up with the automatic choke as normal but as soon as the choke kicked off the generator would continually surge and hunt at idle speed. The new ethanol fuel blends that are sold at the vast majority of gas stations across the US cause havoc on small engine carburetors. After doing some research I found that the Onan carbs are "disposable" with no rebuild kits available. From what the pros stated, cleaning them is impractical so I just bought a new one.

I learned my lesson... This whole problem developed only 6th months after the trailer was built! Ill be exercising my generator monthly and putting fuel stabilizer in my gen tank.

Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

California
I just live with mine doing the same thing.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:28 PM   #3

Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Just got done replacing my carburetor on my generator. The generator would warm up with the automatic choke as normal but as soon as the choke kicked off the generator would continually surge and hunt at idle speed. The new ethanol fuel blends that are sold at the vast majority of gas stations across the US cause havoc on small engine carburetors. After doing some research I found that the Onan carbs are "disposable" with no rebuild kits available. From what the pros stated, cleaning them is impractical so I just bought a new one.

I learned my lesson... This whole problem developed only 6th months after the trailer was built! Ill be exercising my generator monthly and putting fuel stabilizer in my gen tank.
It's a shame the real 'pros', the guys that could take things apart, repair them and put them back together have been replaced by disposable products and technicians that replace instead of repair.

A mechanic, not a 'technician' could probably take it apart and clean it out and make it work. It would have to be a guy or gal that works for themselves and isn't tied to the bosses P&L vision.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:13 PM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundancer 87 View Post
It's a shame the real 'pros', the guys that could take things apart, repair them and put them back together have been replaced by disposable products and technicians that replace instead of repair.

A mechanic, not a 'technician' could probably take it apart and clean it out and make it work. It would have to be a guy or gal that works for themselves and isn't tied to the bosses P&L vision.
Ethanol has been killing carbs since it was introduced, the only way to stop the damage it causes is to drain the carb so no fuel is left in it.

A lot of things from auto parts to appliances are designed and built so that they can not be disassembled without destroying non-replaceable parts.

With the price of labor now it's often less expensive to replace vs repair. Even my local independent repair shop is replacing more than rebuilding stuff.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:41 PM   #5

Oklahoma
The downer is, even if a wrench wanted to repair something the parts only exist for the most part for the commercial rebuilders.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #6

Virginia
Desert Rat: A surging generator can fry the electronics in your rig and putting a heavy load on the gen to get it to stop hunting almost doubles the amount of fuel consumption.

Sundancer: The carb is available online and I did replace it myself. After other battles and victories with small carburetors I did my research on this one. Could it have been cleaned? Maybe, but from what information I did dig up across the interweb the consensus was just to replace it. People had tried solvent baths, ultrasonic cleaners and good old fashion manual methods with little to no luck. The last thing I want is any more generator issues while I'm boondocking.

Plus it gave me an excuse to buy a new multi meter with a frequency reading.
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #7

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Desert Rat: A surging generator can fry the electronics in your rig and putting a heavy load on the gen to get it to stop hunting almost doubles the amount of fuel consumption.
Mine only does it when it feels like it. Only at idle for what little bit of hours I put on it I'll spend my $280 in other ways. As far a fuel consumption goes that's the problem. These thing use so little bit of gas 20 gallons last sure more then a few boondocking trips. I'll be out in Quartzsite Az. this coming weekend. Generator will get a good work out.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:42 AM   #8

Colorado
I just joined the site, in the process of buying a 3970. I am not trying to up sell here but there is an additive that solves the problem with ethanol in small engines, let me know if it is OK to give the product name, I do sell this but you can buy it other places. For a $10.00 investment works 99% of the time and prevents this from happening.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:58 AM   #9

British Columbia
Welcome Ivan,

Do tell!

Jim
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 01:07 AM   #10

Colorado
The best solution is to buy pure gas, always available at marinas. The product is AMSOIL and the product is called quick shot code AQS. You can go to AMSOIL.com and research it or my web site is Westernsyntheticlubricants.com: Not trying to sell but just help! There are other fuel stations that sell with out ethanol for the muscle car enthusiasts also.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Pure-gas.org

You would think that the generator manufacturers would get on board with ethanol friendly engines and components. However I think part of it has to do with carburetor versus fuel injection. I always use a fuel stabilizers in my small engines (Stabil) and try to avoid the ethanol additives. Fortunately there is a station not too far from me that sells ethanol free fuel.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #12

California
I am very lucky to have easy access to AvGas from my local airport. 100 octane low lead and never have to worry about fuel going bad or the crappy fuel at gas stations. A little more expensive but well worth it.

RvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote