2017 voltage 4005 or 2017 cyclone 4200 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #1

North Carolina
2017 voltage 4005 or 2017 cyclone 4200

We are new to RV'ing and are about to make a purchase. Before we spend 60 plus thousand dollars I want to make sure we are getting the right TH. We really like the Voltage 3805 or 4005 but we also like the 4200 Cyclone. In reading up on the Voltage I've seen some things about older Voltages that scare me and I'm not sure if Dutchmen has changed the design.

1. The slides, what mechanism do they use to move them in and out? And are the seals adequate?
2. The front landing gear. Are they hydraulic or electric and do they self level?
3. The suspension? It looks like the Cyclone uses a much smoother setup which I'm assuming means less stress on the camper while in transit.
4. The last is customer service. I've seen a lot of complaints about Dutchmen not standing behind their product. I know most people don't post things on the internet when they have something positive to say but at the same time I would feel like a fool to not be a little concerned since multiple people have brought it up.

We really like the Voltage overall, we just want to make sure were not getting lured into buying a lot of problems because it looks appealing.

Thanks for any help/advice.

Hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #2

California
We have a 2015 Voltage 3805 and have close to 30k miles on it . We love it and it is perfect for what we needed it for. We also looked at the Cyclone before buying, but at the end of the day we needed the 14' garage space. For the most part, our trailer has caused us very small, easily fixable problems, typical for any manufacturer.

To answer you questions:
- The slides are cable slides and yes the seals seem to be adequate and work well. We did need to replace the gearbox on the kitchen slide as a gear broke.
- Yes it comes with the auto-leveling system (hydraulic) and works very well.
- I am not aware of suspension differences, but so far we have had no issues
- Customer service is more dependent on the dealer and where you will have an warranty work performed. We chose a mom/pop small dealership over one of the national chains, both for the price as well as the level of service we received.
- As a side note : no matter what you buy, upgrade the tires to G-Rated. The trailers you are looking at are too heavy for the E-Rated tires they come with. Maybe even negotiate it into the price.

Overall we love the Dutchman. Yes it is not perfect and has minor issues that I just fix as they happen. But I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck on your purchase. Don't stress over the small things that will need fixing. Just enjoy the ride and the places you will see.

Eric

RvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #3

Arizona
If you look hard enough, there are horror stories about every make and model RV. Quality control is sub-par throughout the RV industry. Sometimes a very popular make and model may seem to be problem-prone (due to a number of online complaints) based simply on the fact there's a lot of 'em out on the road being used. There's this vs. a unit that's not so popular which results in less online complaints which may give the false impression they're a quality unit. Sometimes it's hard to tell what is what.

Your best bet against problems is a thorough PDI. Don't sign for the rig until your PDI and repairs have been completed to your satisfaction. The dealer is much more likely to fix each and every problem quickly before the sale vs. after the sale.

I'd let your dealer know you may need a full day for the PDI---especially since this is your first rig---not to mention a bigger rig with more options and features. Secondly, consider bringing along someone you trust that has owned/towed/operated/maintained RV's for a few years. Someone who is more of a DIY type would be ideal. If you don't know someone, consider hiring a reputable mobile RV tech. Yes, an extra hassle/expenditure, but (in either case) may reduce your chance of getting stuck with a $60k problem-child.

One thing that proved very helpful for a friend of ours was a so-called pre-PDI. He asked the dealer if they could spend a few hours getting familiar with the nuances of their rig a day or so prior to the PDI. Although they didn't get to operate each and every appliance or feature, they were able to take their time to operate what they could and visually inspect everything thoroughly at their leisure. They annotated all their observations, problems, questions, etc. and brought them up during the PDI.

Lastly, don't forget to look for in-transit (factory to dealer) damage on the outside of your rig. Look especially closely underneath the chassis and the entire roof area. It'll be difficult to get this type of damage repaired by the manufacturer under warranty, or by the dealer, once you've pulled off the dealer lot.

Good luck!
otr_pwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 AM   #4

North Carolina
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope to make a decision between the two this week.
Hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:55 AM   #5

Nevada
Hatched, The above members have given you a lot of information , I have been owning RV's since 1992, and do most of my own work on them, even replacing siding, roofs, etc. I still have the Largest Lance 1181 Truck Camper, I now own a 2015 Voltage 3895, I have had minor things go wrong with both, I have had another Toy Hauler that I just kept working on it until I replaced to many things, so exchanged it....like they said above, I say it over and over again, do a good PDI, don't take it off the lot until everything is good. If the Dealer gives you S..t, then there is another dealer that will bent their back to make you happy, remember also that most dealers want you to come back for repairs, or to buy items to add to your RV....Most of us have found that IF you don't buy it from them, they will not like working on it, so pick a good dealer, enjoy you RV and have fun..
Good Luck....
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #6

Arizona
I looked at new cyclones during my search and a couple observations were:- Lack of storage under master bed, and the pedestal for the bed was cheaply made and looked like it would be a problem later. Lift up the mattress and see for yourself what i mean.
- Getting around both sides of the bed near impossible (this was one of the main reasons we started looking for a new toy hauler)
- Only one fuel tank for genny and toys. Shared. I prefer to keep the super for the toys and regular for the genny.
- IMO, The placement of the mid and rear levelers were in an odd spot and to low to ground, with no ability/room mount them them higher. Could be a huge problem with high centering or knocking them out on different terrain.
- The max weight rating on the cyclone left for toys and gear left alot to be desired for me.

In the end, looked at a bunch of brands and picked up a very gently/almost never used, 2014 voltage. No regrets whatsoever.

Lack of a manufacturers warrantee, as i bought used didnt bother me, as i like to work on my own stuff anyway, and get it right. Kinda therapeudic to repair or upgrade things. I let the previous owners work most of the kinks out. Manufacturers warrantees expire too, before you know it. Being handy helps.

My voltage is my 4th RV. Had class A, class C, and a bumper pull toy hauler. Love my new to me rig.

I agree, get G rated tires.

Gear
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 02:47 AM   #7

Arizona
In 2014 we were looking at toy haulers. We looked at them all. The Voltage seemed to be better built, better interior color coordination, and more luxurious looking than the others. After we bought it we found several items that needed to be modified. Once that was done we have been very happy with it. We've been all over the country and it hasn't let us down.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 10:14 AM   #8

Illinois
2015 3990 Voltage, full paint and every option at the time. Very few issues with it that weren't self-induced (LOL). Spend winters in it, so a ton of use. Every campground we pull it, we get compliments on our unit. No Voltage beefs here.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #9

Colorado
Responding quickly...two things I will comment on:

Is the interior layout the one you want? We purchased a 2014 Voltage 3800 because the interior layout was what we wanted for just the two of us. Two recliners and a "regular" dinette in the living area. Not four recliners and no table for eating at except if the garage is empty and the table can be set up.

Is the garage what you want? We're into the side-by-side off roading after 25 years of Harleys. The 3800 has a 14 foot garage. Four seat SXS machines are past ten feet long. So you have to check to make sure it really will meet your needs.

Just sayin'

Pirate

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote