2016 Voltage model 3970 slides - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

Texas
2016 Voltage model 3970 slides

Big problem. All three of my slides do not extend out to the maximum. About 3 inches remain inside of the RV. Check yours if you have a newer 2016 model that has the new cable slides. Look on top of and around your slides from inside your RV. I will try to attach photos or a link of my slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160921_071720270.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	3690   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160920_140457595.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	3691  

Alprath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Team

North Carolina
I believe that is a known issue. The switched from the beloved (sarcasm) Schwintek slide to a cable slide, but did not redesign the slides to allow for the different motor mounting requirements. So the cable slides don't go as far out as the older ones.

Aaron

wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:55 PM   #3

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I believe that is a known issue. The switched from the beloved (sarcasm) Schwintek slide to a cable slide, but did not redesign the slides to allow for the different motor mounting requirements. So the cable slides don't go as far out as the older ones.

Aaron
Was not known or disclosed to me at purchase. This is clearly a design flaw. I'm losing out on the few inches of space that travels the entire length of the three slides. Loss of Cubic feet adds up as a result of the slide not going out all the way. The manufacturer should recall and correct this flaw. Owners of 2015 models, with the old slide system have a better sealing and fitting slides. The older models are a also bigger inside as a result of the changes of the slide modifications. making a change of the slide system without realizing the impact on the slides is ridiculous st best. My bedroom a slide leaks water and you can see outside day light which is totally unacceptable. No one owning a unit with these issues should a accept this.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #4
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alprath View Post
Was not known or disclosed to me at purchase. This is clearly a design flaw. I'm losing out on the few inches of space that travels the entire length of the three slides. Loss of Cubic feet adds up as a result of the slide not going out all the way. The manufacturer should recall and correct this flaw. Owners of 2015 models, with the old slide system have a better sealing and fitting slides. The older models are a also bigger inside as a result of the changes of the slide modifications. making a change of the slide system without realizing the impact on the slides is ridiculous st best. My bedroom a slide leaks water and you can see outside day light which is totally unacceptable. No one owning a unit with these issues should a accept this.
Dealer may or may not have known about it. Dutchmen could care less. As far they are concerned it is not a flaw and it is caveat emptor.

If you do an a search it will come up in the search results. Also many of us strongly recommend a thorough PDI by the consumer and not being afraid of walking away if the issues are bad. Unfortunately this the way most of the RV industry works. To the best of my knowledge there have not been much if any successful legal action against them. Hopefully you are still under warranty and can at least try to fight it via that avenue.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:42 AM   #5

Maine
Alprath, I have already gone through a lot these issues and discoveries. Most of which you can find in this forum. I have gone through a bunch of the learning curves of owning a 2016 Dutchmen... PM me your number and I'll call you to get you up to speed.

Short version: don't bother calling customer support, this forum is where it's at.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
boostme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

Ontario
I think one of the known issues is that the bedroom slide doesn't seal because the wipe gets hung on the window.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 12:31 AM   #7

Washington
Just bought a 16 3895 and noticed this the other day. Makes the kitchen area just that much smaller. Otherwise love it so far!
hydmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:15 AM   #8

California
To me the bigger deal would be the lack of a seal. We camp in the desert a lot where it can get pretty windy. Having slides that are partially open like this would not work. There would be wind and dust blowing in constantly.

I am looking at the Triton model tomorrow so if it has this issue as well, I won't be buying it for sure. Glad I found this thread tonight so I can make sure I look for this tomorrow. None of the pictures I can find are close enough to see which system is used on the Triton's so we will see tomorrow.
Chipworkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #9

Texas
Thanks for all of your input. I just got my sidewalls replaced with the 2017 version. This has the windows moved out enough so that the rubber wipers rest flush against the sidewalls. My bedroom still leaks. It actually leaks worse than it did before the sidewall changes were made. I have a new appointment scheduled with my dealer on the 5th to look at the continuing problem. The AC recall I had corrected earlier in the summer as well as the ladder. Is your bedroom slide fixed or does it still leak. I covered both windows with plastic film and after a heavy rain, I still have the water leaking in behind the rubber seals. Any info you have learned is appreciated.
Old 11-29-2016, 04:36 AM   #10

Maine
Quote:
Thanks for all of your input. I just got my sidewalls replaced with the 2017 version. This has the windows moved out enough so that the rubber wipers rest flush against the sidewalls. My bedroom still leaks. It actually leaks worse than it did before the sidewall changes were made. I have a new appointment scheduled with my dealer on the 5th to look at the continuing problem. The AC recall I had corrected earlier in the summer as well as the ladder. Is your bedroom slide fixed or does it still leak. I covered both windows with plastic film and after a heavy rain, I still have the water leaking in behind the rubber seals. Any info you have learned is appreciated.
I was OK after the wall change. I went get into what it took for that to happen, but persistence is your only friend.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #11

Maine
Any luck alprath?

Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 AM   #12

Texas
Yes, after the side walls were replaced, I still had a leak in the bedroom slide. It seems now that the cables that are on the side of the slides have a black rubber patch that is glued to the rubber wiper blades. These rubber patches are there to cover up and prevent water from getting in and running behind the wipers, into the RV living area. The hole behind that rubber patch is about the size of a nickle or quarter. I was shocked to see a whole that large for those sized cables. After re gluing the patches and sealing with black silicone, the problem seems resolved? This is something that should be checked on a regular basis for sure.
Old 12-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #13

Maine
Quote:
Yes, after the side walls were replaced, I still had a leak in the bedroom slide. It seems now that the cables that are on the side of the slides have a black rubber patch that is glued to the rubber wiper blades. These rubber patches are there to cover up and prevent water from getting in and running behind the wipers, into the RV living area. The hole behind that rubber patch is about the size of a nickle or quarter. I was shocked to see a whole that large for those sized cables. After re gluing the patches and sealing with black silicone, the problem seems resolved? This is something that should be checked on a regular basis for sure.
Just found out my floor was disconnected from the repaired slide walls today. Back in the shop we go (again)...

Old 12-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #14

Texas
Wow! not sure what you are talking about? Do you have a photo of this problem? If so, would like to see it so that I can keep any eye on my rig.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:30 PM   #15

Maine
I'll try and snap a couple pictures today, but to explain further: the floor of the bedroom slide (and the majority of the mattress and frame), are only supported by a few screws at the bottom of each slide wall section. In my case the screw didn't hold and the floor has pulled away from the walls. This is another design flaw that I am at the moment struggling to see a permanent fix for.

Old 12-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #16

Texas
Sorry to hear this. I understand your explanation of the new problem. Don't need the photos cause I know you have more important issues to deal with. Hope you get this resolve. Are they offering to fix this under your warranty? Keep us posted on your fix of this issue.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:22 PM   #17

Maine
Quote:
Sorry to hear this. I understand your explanation of the new problem. Don't need the photos cause I know you have more important issues to deal with. Hope you get this resolve. Are they offering to fix this under your warranty? Keep us posted on your fix of this issue.
Appointment at the dealer is tomorrow. I can assure you I will not be paying for this fix!

Old 02-01-2017, 12:09 PM   #18

North Carolina
thank you to all on this forum !

I have a 2016 3970, with this same problem. ( sometimes ), does not leak every time, and MOST of the time if it happens, its very little. 2-3 times it was really bad, like half a water bottle, to each side. seems like the water is coming off the cable..

that cable is basically a saw blade the WILL cut the rubber patch.

- have had and been in the rv for 11 months , winterize today, so it can go back- to CW, in asheville nc.

thanx again.
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 12:23 PM   #19

North Carolina
wonder why they can't just change the angle of the cables....
hopkins44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 11:00 AM   #20

South Carolina
Would love to talk if you have a minute. We were planning to buy a new 2016 3970 this weekend. Interested in the challenges.

Cynwillis@hotmail.com. If you can email me, I will send my phone number.

Medicyn is offline   Reply With Quote