2016 Voltage 3990 Pre Delivery Inspection Failed - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Maryland
2016 Voltage 3990 Pre Delivery Inspection Failed

Hello All,
I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion about my decision to reject the 3990 I had special ordered. First, it looks beautiful, full body paint, dual pane Windows, in short all options. I had only minor discrepancies except for two. Thes lessor of the two is that when they cleaned the outside, someone used a brush and put fine scratches in the beautiful paint. This can most likely be buffed out... The second and biggest problem for rejection is the entire undercarriage including suspension is rusted. The unit arrived at the dealership mid-Jan and has sat through early May with the brine/salt corroding the entire underneath. I told them, I would not take the unit unless it went back to the factory and was corrected. I am highly concerned about electrical components, seals, bushings and the premature corroding of the frame and other undercarriage items.

I would be very grateful if any of you have any experience in this area and did I do the right thing or am I being overly cautious?

Thank you for your time.

Yeldawb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:48 PM   #2

Utah
I can only imagine what the cost is for this custom unit. That being said I would want to make sure that I was happy with the unit before handing over that kind of money. I assume that the frame has been painted black and that the undercarraige has the weather enclosed bottom. If you are seeing visible rust already that is reason for concern. I would want my unit buffed to make sure the scratched are removed from the very expensive paint job. If you are able to hold off on delivery then demand it be corrected to your satisfaction or walk away, If you take delivery of the trailer remember they have your money an are no longer as motivated to assist in repair. That is my 2cnts for what its worth.

Helidriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeldawb View Post
Hello All,
I wanted to see if anyone has an opinion about my decision to reject the 3990 I had special ordered. First, it looks beautiful, full body paint, dual pane Windows, in short all options. I had only minor discrepancies except for two. Thes lessor of the two is that when they cleaned the outside, someone used a brush and put fine scratches in the beautiful paint. This can most likely be buffed out... The second and biggest problem for rejection is the entire undercarriage including suspension is rusted. The unit arrived at the dealership mid-Jan and has sat through early May with the brine/salt corroding the entire underneath. I told them, I would not take the unit unless it went back to the factory and was corrected. I am highly concerned about electrical components, seals, bushings and the premature corroding of the frame and other undercarriage items.

I would be very grateful if any of you have any experience in this area and did I do the right thing or am I being overly cautious?

Thank you for your time.
Good for you, none of us need to accept a new trailer that already is OLD

Mike & Emily-Sacramento, CA
Our 4th trailer (2016 Aspen Trail 1900RB)
2018 F150 STX 2.7 Eco Boost
chily3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #4

Maryland
Thank you Helidriver!
Old 05-28-2016, 06:09 PM   #5

Maryland
Thank you Chily3
Old 05-28-2016, 06:25 PM   #6

Oklahoma
The dual pane windows add weight to the unit and are pretty much more lipstick to add to the price. In of themselves, dual panes will help with insulation properties in a sense. However, you have more square feet of poorly insulated thin fiber glass and Luan walls and ceilings on the RV than you do in glass.

They sound good but are ineffective in these RVs. Sort of like the big deal of Nitrogen in the tires, sounds impressive but..............
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #7

Illinois
Paint

Quote:
Hello All,

Thank you for your time.
Like you, I got a full paint, loaded 3990. My problem was that they burnt the clear coat when they buffed it in areas. Fortunately my buddy owns a body shop, and they buffed it out. Dutchmen covered it under warranty! I don't know how they'll give you satisfaction on a rusted frame. Good luck.
Rusty
2005 Harley Ultra Classic w/too many miles
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #8

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Like you, I got a full paint, loaded 3990. My problem was that they burnt the clear coat when they buffed it in areas. Fortunately my buddy owns a body shop, and they buffed it out. Dutchmen covered it under warranty! I don't know how they'll give you satisfaction on a rusted frame. Good luck.
Rusty
Hi Rusty, thanks for the input. Your setup, Ford in black, with the B&Burg Voltage are the colors that mine should be also when all is said and done. Are you able to post a picture of your setup? I might have to forfeit the one I ordered and buy from someone else.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #9

Illinois
Blk & Burg Full Paint w/F-350 Platinum Dually

Quote:
Hi Rusty, thanks for the input. Your setup, Ford in black, with the B&Burg Voltage are the colors that mine should be also when all is said and done. Are you able to post a picture of your setup? I might have to forfeit the one I ordered and buy from someone else.
Here you go (I hope. Not great on attachments!). Usually the most beautiful unit in the campground until someone with real money shows up with their Prevost! (LOL)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3990.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	3333  
Old 05-29-2016, 11:38 AM   #10

Michigan
They drag those through the salt and leave them good choice

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
mx37000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 11:48 AM   #11

Maryland
Rusty, that is really sweet, congrats!! Thanks for posting Sir
Old 05-29-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Site Team

North Carolina
They will rust even it never sees a salty road. They are NOT using a quality powder coat or epoxy based paint. They are using the cheapest black paint they can find. I rebuilt several vehicles over the years. On one of our trucks we used POR-15 epoxy on the frame it still looks like new 10 years later. Don't expect too many RV manufacturers to use a quality paint on something that is basically out of sight... or in sight for that matter.

I doubt you are going to find one in perfect condition, unless it was delivered to a desert location in the summer months and was towed during a drought.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #13

Illinois

Quote:
Rusty, that is really sweet, congrats!! Thanks for posting Sir

Just a thought, but maybe re-negotiate your best price or ask for extended warranty on undercarriage, then get aftermarket undercoating? May be worth it.
Rusty
Old 05-29-2016, 05:38 PM   #14

Utah
Also if you could maybe show us a few pictures of this rust, is it on top of the paint, is paint missing? The above suggestions is a good idea.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:33 AM   #15

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidriver View Post
Also if you could maybe show us a few pictures of this rust, is it on top of the paint, is paint missing? The above suggestions is a good idea.
Hi Helidriver, I should have taken photos, but I didn't. Actually in many places it's just rust, the paint is already gone. Same thing with the suspension and suspension hardware. Underneath the garage door is what appears to me a bumper. The bumper is really a metal channel. The entire inside of the channel is rusted and the paint is barely visible.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #16

Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
Just a thought, but maybe re-negotiate your best price or ask for extended warranty on undercarriage, then get aftermarket undercoating? May be worth it.
Rusty
Hi Rusty, that's a good idea too. I am waiting to see what the dealership intends to do. It's been two weeks, I've sent them two emails, but they said they are trying to determine what to do. I am losing confidence in them with each passing day.
Old 05-30-2016, 03:36 AM   #17

Utah
That does sounds bad . Sorry to say but for that kind of money I think I would find a diffrent one . Once you leave the lot you take such a hit and to have that kind of problem just compounds the issue ..
Old 05-30-2016, 11:16 PM   #18

Nevada
Yeldawb, I have had 6 Rv's over the years, and I had one Toy Hauler that was a mess, I am good on checking everything before leaving the lot, but this one took a couple months before we had some much trouble, doors not closing right, even after I adjusted them, roof, and others....The dealer was the S..., so we went to another Dealer for our Voltage and they have done what ever repairs we needed, even after the Warranty ended.....So don't take that RV off the Lot until all is right, or find another Dealer, we all paid to much for our Toy, and just want it right to start, after that we can repair some things as time goes by, BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT HOME, and on the way home, your already thinking DID WE MAKE A MISTAKE!! You want to leave with a smile and say...Can't wait for our first trip!!
Good Luck...
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:12 PM   #19

Maryland
RVNevada, that you very much for insight. I'll let everyone on here know what happens for future reference for all...
Old 06-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #20

Nevada
Yeldawb, check out Snakebitten..."am I just the latest sucker?"

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote