2015 V3805 Major Problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2015, 07:47 PM   #1

Texas
2015 V3805 Major Problems

We recently bought a 15 V3805 from ExploreUSA in Boerne TX, we made a really good deal on the camper because it was a closeout, and were excited to take delivery of the unit and use it the next weekend. The PDI went fine and aside from a few minor issues; loose glass in the cabinet doors that the tech half assed with a hot glue gun, the awning leds weren't hooked up, and the biggest issue was the roof ladder pulled out of the side of the camper when they were installing the 3rd AC. Said they were going to order new brackets to fix the ladder properly and it would take a few weeks. No biggie, but I should have read the writing on the wall.

Tow it home with no issues however when I ran across the scale I was at 24K with my SRW f350, seemed a little heavy. Turns out the tech didn't empty the water tanks because he didn't seem to know how to operate a gate valve, so I ran home with a full load of water. When I got it home I noticed that the running lights seemed a little dim and the rear upper marker lights weren't on.

We spent the next week setting up the camper, for our trip the following weekend to an offroad race I was promoting, tons of little quality issues.

1. The particle board under the bed is too big
2. The Wood "venee"r is peeling in several places its literally a sticker...
3. The backsplash in the bathroom is loose
4. loose cabinet doors everywhere
5. battery wont hold a charge (even put it on a tender for a few days and it just dies almost immediately)
6. Happijack beds make a bad popping noise when going up (sounds like a damaged tooth on a gear since its not constant)
7. Rear upper marker lights don't work
8. Front upper marker lights don't work

I am sure I am missing some, but these are the ones I can think of, all things I planned on fixing myself, after our first trip, but then came the big ones.

When I hooked up to leave and checked the lights there were no tail lights. The tail/brake lights are LED and the running lights wouldn't come on. I pulled out a volt meter and only measured 6 volts at the wiring running into the TL. Checked at the truck with the camper unplugged and had 12. Pulled apart the junction box in the neck and noticed that one of the wires was pretty warm to the touch, it was the running lights and was reading 8 volts on either side of the wire nut (yes they use wire nuts or crappy connectors on everything). I disconnected the pigtail in the jct box and the truck side popped back up to 12. Knew I had a short. I did my best to trace it down cutting out crappy connectors as I went and concluded that the short is under the belly. I ran a new wire to the rear lights so I could at least get the camper into the dealer without worry about getting tagged after dark.

In the process of trying to run down my short I unplugged the camper from shore power and the fridge swapped over to propane. I kept smelling burning paint and figured the neighbor was burning in a new BBQ pit or something. My wife went inside the camper and it was coming from inside. It was a little smoky smelled like burnt paint and the side of the fridge and the counter next to it were hot to the touch. Not good.

By this point it was 9 pm and our trip with the camper was off. I sent a text to my salesman who called and said he would have the service manager call me first thing in the morning. Service manager never called. I did get a call from the GM of the store who said he was going to get a Voltage rep to call me. Which happened shorty after, a rep from Voltage called and said he was going to set something up with Bishop RV in Corpus instead of taking my camper all the way back to Boerne, plus I have zero confidence in the service dept at ExploreUSA in Boerne so I was happy about this. I called Bishop the next day and of course the Voltage rep never called like he said he did. I gave it another day same deal. Service manager there was kinda salty and said it would take several weeks before he could look at it since I didn't but it there. I called the Voltage rep back and he said he would make some calls and someone would call me shorty to get everything resolved quickly. No call., Called the ExploreUSA GM and got a similar story.

So here I sit, two weeks after buying a camper with a 6 figure MSRP that I can't use, with a dealership and manufacturer who don't care to help fix the problems with the unit they sold me. I am at a loss on what to do. I don't even feel safe running this thing down the road since I had to rig up the running lights.

tl;dr New voltage fridge seems like its going to catch fire, trailer wiring shorted out, lots of other little issues. No one from the selling end of things cares.

treypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:51 PM   #2

Texas
Maybe they have my computer bugged, just got a call from someone at Keystones warranty dept, but they wont do anything if I don't take it in. I'll be lucky to get to use this pile by next year...

Old 10-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #3

Arizona
And you haven't yet turned on the A/C to find the problems associated with it. Sorry you bought a real POS. With all the problems you're having I wouldn't want to keep such a trailer. Perhaps it's not too late to return the trailer and get your money back.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:26 PM   #4

Pennsylvania
Good luck, Keystone rep will only stonewall and/or make promises that are never kept. I'm still trying to get major things fixed that were identified at pre delivery. Not to mention my warranty has expired two days ago. Been trying to get these things resolved for a year now. I could fill ten pages with what has gone wrong, and what is still broken after many service visits totaling more than 90 days at the shop. The dealer does not care and Keystone does not care. I regret buying this thing more than words can ever express.
EDIT: I had to fix both air conditioners myself after the dealer tried three times. The front one had a broken fan from a piece of fiber board that got jammed into it (it was supposed to separate the warm/cold plenum). The main one had a 2" opening between warm/cold, had a 4" relay box blocking 33% of the inlet air flow and the molex connector to it was not pushed in tightly. Oh the stories I could tell.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 08:32 PM   #5

Texas
Yeah I'm over it, I told the dealer we should unroll the deal, they didnt seem keen on the idea.

ACs actually work, although the bedroom one doesn't seem very cold
Old 10-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #6

Arizona
I've been looking at Class A diesel pushers and seeing some very good stories about service and superior build quality. Tiffin and Newmar, among others, will fix things for people after their warranty ran out, being able to talk directly to Bob Tiffin, etc. I may just trade my Voltage and truck for a used 40' DP.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #7

Wyoming
You have everything documented (names, numbers, etc)... so get an attorney involved, and get your money back! If they wanna stall and play games, add 'damages' to your suit for inconvenience and loss of use.

The longer you wait, the weaker your case will be... as the other side will claim "acceptance".
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:19 PM   #8
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
I've been looking at Class A diesel pushers and seeing some very good stories about service and superior build quality. Tiffin and Newmar, among others, will fix things for people after their warranty ran out, being able to talk directly to Bob Tiffin, etc. I may just trade my Voltage and truck for a used 40' DP.
Ditto. Not sure I want the bills involved for one of those beasts. We are heading out next weekend on a car trip to the mountains. We are going to be looking at a couple of used high end B+, and a couple of diesel pushers. I have had a MoHo in the past...

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:55 PM   #9

Florida
Treypal,
I feel your pain. I bought my toy hauler in December 2014 and it has been in for repairs about 270 days since then. Although I never had electrical issues like you. get that fixed ASAP.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
The problem solver: 2017 Tiffin Breeze 32BR
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 01:06 AM   #10

Tennessee
Treypal sorry to hear about your troubles... sickening to say the least. I would however advise you to shut that refrigerator down immediately! I lost a Blue Bird Wanderlodge to a refrigerator fire... a big loss... im lucky I survived. Good luck. Stay on them..
Old 10-31-2015, 01:43 AM   #11

California
Treypal - so sorry to hear about all of the issues you have had. That is horrible. It is SO strange because I have the exact same trailer (year and model) and have had no issues at all (5000+ miles on it). The quality has been terrific. I have no complaints at all. How can there we so much inconsistencies in these builds? I hope you get everything resolved soon and can start enjoying your investment.
RvrRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:12 AM   #12

Pennsylvania
It's interesting that the particle board under your bed is too big. Ours is too small and the base pedestal is off center by over 6". The mattress hangs over the base by 10" on the side near the closet. Of course that is the side my wife must have, and she cannot sit on the edge of the bed. Keystone has refused to fix it, so I need to buy a sheet of plywood and correct their errors again.
None of our drawers will latch closed so they all open while traveling and beat into the fridge and woodwork. I have been trying to get the dealer to fix them since the beginning of this year. I get it back from "service" and they still open, so they're back on the repair list for the next time. Now Keystone refuses to allow the dealer to fix them since "That should have been done during the first two months and is considered an adjustment". The level of incompetence and arrogance is blinding. The list of factory and dealer screw ups is quite long.
It is in the shop now and depending on how this current major repair issue goes, litigation may occur. Our attorney advises that we have to allow them to attempt to perform the repair first and assess the outcome before moving forward. We'll see...

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 01:27 PM   #13

British Columbia
treypal, I feel your pain.

l've been on my soapbox since I found the first wire nut and they can't even do them right.

If you think the wire nuts are bad, don't look behind your power distribution panel, or under the belly pan.

The one that really set me off was the 120V wire that was left flopping around in the wall cavity behing the T-stat. It managed to wear the insulation off rubbing on the 2" screw used to mount the stat, give it awhile longer and it would have been through to the the second wire. Then?

I'm PO'd that I didn't take any pictures and file a complaint with the TSB (our version of the NHTSA).

It's amazing that there aren't more off these things sitting at the side of the road burnt to the ground, like the one we saw in the Yukon this summer.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #14

Texas
Finally taking it in tomorrow to see what they say. I poked around in the outside panel of the fridge and can't figure out why it would be hot on the inside wall and counter, the chimney is on the other side.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #15

British Columbia
treypal,

Probably too late, but I came across a junction box that is designed for a 7 pin trailer connector.

I still have some wiring that needs to be cleaned up from my disk brake convesion and this fits the bill.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hddecker View Post
treypal,

Probably too late, but I came across a junction box that is designed for a 7 pin trailer connector.

I still have some wiring that needs to be cleaned up from my disk brake convesion and this fits the bill.

Do you have a link?
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #17

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by treypal View Post
Do you have a link?
Just went and got it, I tried to attach a photo, but it wouldn't upload.

7:6 Trailer Blade/Round Wiring Junction Box | Princess Auto

I don't know what the shipping to the US would be, but they are very reasonable when shipping in Canada.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM   #18

California
This is a good site for RV stuff.
Wiring Junction Box Accessories and Parts | etrailer.com
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:26 PM   #19

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Yes and the first on on their page is the exact one that I picked up, just a different brand name.

Finally, I have found something in Canada that costs less than than the same item in the US.
Same item at etrailer would have cost me 17.46 CAD vs 16.49.

Now if only the same would have been true for the disk brake conversion, but etrailer had the best prices and the free shipping didn't hurt. Even after the $70 for fuel to go to WA to pick them up at Ship Happens, I saved just over $500 vs a Canadian supplier.