2015 3805 V-Series Electrical Problems - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2015, 12:54 AM   #1

Ohio
2015 3805 V-Series Electrical Problems

I have recently picked up my new trailer, ( 2 weeks ago and 2 weekend camping trips ) and am having trouble with the 12V part of the system, I suspect the power converter is not working. The 12V lights and so on are running off the battery 100% and draining it when hooked up to 50amp. I have to take a battery charger to hook up to the battery to maintain the 12V part of the system. My manual for the WF-9800 Converter says that it has fuses on it....I cant find the darn converter. Anyone know were it is located in the trailer?

Kurt 3805 V-Series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:57 AM   #2

Ohio
I have fully charged the battery and load tested the battery.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:31 AM   #3

Tennessee
My converter is in the front basement behind the partition wall. Remove screws and panels boom there it is. Also the transfer switch, water pump, and other goodies as well.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:33 AM   #4

Ohio
I will give that a try. Am saving the bigger problems for the warranty trips to the dealer.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #5

Ohio
Does your generator and truck charge your battery, or just the landline?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:44 AM   #6

Tennessee
Yes to both questions.. with that said not sure what the charge rate would be from the truck compared to charger within converter. I do know if you leave the trailer plugged into truck and run 12 items too long it will drain you truck batteries as well. Not sure how its wired without schematics (good luck with dat) but everything 12v related runs through the converter.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:59 AM   #7

Tennessee
I guess one way to check would be check voltage of battery alone without any external sources, then plug into the truck and start it up and take another reading.. use a true rms meter if possible for an accurate reading.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 AM   #8

Ohio
at this time I have no charging of the battery under any conditions. The tech person at Dutchmen that I talked to was wrong about the location of the converter and told me that only the shoreline charged the battery....so I joined the forum to find people who know more about the unit than the manufacturer. Again I say thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:51 AM   #9

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt 3805 V-Series View Post
at this time I have no charging of the battery under any conditions. The tech person at Dutchmen that I talked to was wrong about the location of the converter and told me that only the shoreline charged the battery....so I joined the forum to find people who know more about the unit than the manufacturer. Again I say thanks.
Okay think about his response. ?. Shore power only? That would mean the transfer switch n generator mode was routed elsewhere?. If your battery is dead you cant start the genny.. right? Right. Generator runs and supplies ac for 120v receptacles as shore power does right? Right.. genny and shore power goes through converter to operate 12 dc volt current accessories...
Old 08-28-2015, 03:04 AM   #10

Ohio
I mentally figured that all should be charging, I was more confused when the manufacturer tech support said only shore power. This weekend I will go into the basement and pull the wall off and check the two fuses on the unit. Thanks.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:21 PM   #11
Site Team

North Carolina
Truck charge lines are notoriously weak. Max is about 7 amps, typically lower than that. IF your truck is wired correctly there should be a relay that cuts power to the trailer charge line when the ignition is off. A quick check to see if the converter is putting out 12 volt power is to briefly disconnect the battery and see if there is any output at the back of the converter.

Supposedly you should get charging from your generator, shore power and truck line. If you have nothing I would check for a blown fuses, or bad breakers first. Then start down the line, into the transfer switch, etc. If you have a WFCO converter there is a better than 50% chance it may have already crapped out.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #12

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Truck charge lines are notoriously weak. Max is about 7 amps, typically lower than that. IF your truck is wired correctly there should be a relay that cuts power to the trailer charge line when the ignition is off.
Aaron
The only way on most trucks if you leave the pigtail plugged in to the trailer for a long period of time...( which I dont anymore) will run your truck battery down IF, your using 12v accessories and not hooked up to a charging source. You could install a diode on that line that would totally eliminate that issue. Trailer battery would run down but not your truck battery. Id rather have a dead house battery than a dead truck battery. Maybe Ford has a better idea.?. Lol sorry couldn't resist..

Make sure once you locate the converter which is near transfer switch (should be In the area) check and make sure you have electrical power going into the converter. Im sure no one here needs to caution you on safety while dealing with electrical components go from there. Good luck keep us posted.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper2b View Post
The only way on most trucks if you leave the pigtail plugged in to the trailer for a long period of time...( which I dont anymore) will run your truck battery down IF, your using 12v accessories and not hooked up to a charging source. You could install a diode on that line that would totally eliminate that issue. Trailer battery would run down but not your truck battery. Id rather have a dead house battery than a dead truck battery. Maybe Ford has a better idea.?. Lol sorry couldn't resist..
All I have are Fords and there is a definite disconnect when the truck is off, in fact when I first got one set up for towing the charge line didn't work. Looked in the glove compartment and there was a relay and pigtail in there that needed to be hooked up. Once that was done we were good to go. That was at least 2-3 vehicles back.

Aaron
Old 08-28-2015, 04:15 PM   #14

California
Aaron is 100% correct. Fords will disconnect the tow vehicle charge circuit once the ignition switch is turned off. I would think Dodge & GM would be the same but then . You know which one I tow with.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #15

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Aaron is 100% correct. Fords will disconnect the tow vehicle charge circuit once the ignition switch is turned off.
Same with my Nissan Titan. Lots of fuses, too. One each for left and right turn signal, and they DO NOT affect the brake lights! (Even though they are ultimately the same filament) Included in the tow package also was a plug-in wiring harness to mate to the electric brake controller harness. All the vehicle wiring, from brake switch to 7-pin was ready for it. Nicely done!
MartyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
Site Team

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyG View Post
Same with my Nissan Titan. Lots of fuses, too. One each for left and right turn signal, and they DO NOT affect the brake lights! (Even though they are ultimately the same filament) Included in the tow package also was a plug-in wiring harness to mate to the electric brake controller harness. All the vehicle wiring, from brake switch to 7-pin was ready for it. Nicely done!
Bet they learned that trick from Ford! I would have to check, but I believe the 1978 Ford F250 Camper Special we have has the separate fuses for the various trailer lights. I know that my 1997 F150 did. Really nice when you are towing POS company trailers that you basically have to rewire every time you used them. Good news I have moved past that paygrade.

Aaron
Old 08-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #17

Tennessee
I would agree all should be wired as such, and may be. However on my current 2014 Ram it ran my battery down when I kept it plugged in and parked at home for a couple of weeks not plugged into shore power. Could be a miswire from factory... dont think that could happen, no way.. just NO WAY!
Old 08-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #18

Tennessee
Oh! Sorry Kurt, we didnt mean to hijack or re-direct your questions on electrical issues. Let us know what ya find.. and I'll trace my tow package wiring..
Old 08-29-2015, 12:52 AM   #19

Texas
I had the same issue on my second trip of my new trailer . I use a battery charger also to keep my 12 volt battery system charged and was hooked up to 50amp. After the trip, I opened the basement where the converter was located and found the converter to be unplugged from the 120volt power receptacle. Not sure if it was plugged in well from the factory or became unplugged during the 1200 mile trip. I plugged it back in and no problems since.

Brandon

2014 Voltage 3818
brandon_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #20

California
I try to remember to disconnect the trailer power from the truck when we get to camp, after waking up one morning to 6 dead batteries (all 4 on trailer, and both on the truck too). Sounds like the new fords have a diode to prevent that. Also we put in an a/b battery bank switch so there's always 1 good gen bat on reserve.

2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3805 v-series 12v problem