2014 Voltage 3950 help me pull trigger - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

Texas
2014 Voltage 3950 help me pull trigger

Hello new to thread, Me and my wife are looking at a new 2014 V3950 . I have read on other forums, blogs.. that Voltage (Dutchman) have some QC issues, I am not new to Rv's will be the 5th we have bought so I understand the quirks RVs can have however we are going to be going full time . Just want to know what
other owners of Voltage think of theirs... I do know to do a detailed PDI...as i have on others. My wife loves the interior of the 3950 but we all know you can cover up allot of stuff wrong with fu fu stuff.... Thanks any opinions welcome

garren50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #2

Tennessee
As I've stated on this forum a few times. We love ours and would buy again.

2013 Voltage 3950
Blue full body paint
micahmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 03:12 AM   #3

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.. Go to Keystone forum and listen to all the crying about their RV's.

We have a Voltage and love it.. Quality is great and only had minor shakedown things we had repaired under warranty.

I think you will love your Coachmen.
Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:41 AM   #4

Idaho
Dutchman builds a good trailer. There is a lot of workmanship in building a house from the inside out. We just bought a 3305 for a steal of a price and will use in for a few years then upgraded to a bigger unit as the kids grow. I will not hesitate to buy another Voltage.
Satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #5

Texas
Thanks, guys for all your replies . It helps with the opinions. I have the price down at dealership at 75 k we started at 90 k for the 2014 trying to get a little more from him but looks like I will pull the trigger ! Again thank you for your opinions !
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM   #6

Arizona
I believe the RV industry as a whole has issues with QC, some may be worse than others but all are bad. My Voltage 3895 is my second "purchased new" toy hauler, plus I have owned two class A RV's purchased used. The range of manufacturers has included Safari (which at the time was pretty high end) to Forest River. The issues I have experienced with Dutchmen are the same as far as build quality.

We have a 2013 3895 Epic bought in November of last year. I can tell you the list from my walk through was very long. And the dealer had to do a lot of repairs which were obvious. It makes you wonder how it ever passed a QC check at the factory. The largest repair was the replacement of the Linoleum floor in the kitchen which included the removal of the island. The floor replacement was due to the Linoleum delaminating and the "clear coat like" top peeling off.

From my perspective Dutchmen did not handle this repair well. It took weeks to get it approved with much heartache and frustration caused by the manufacturer as they continued to make unsubstantiated claims that a harsh chemical was spilled on the floor. These claims were made from viewing photographs taken by the dealer... How they could come to this determination is still unknown to me. Then when they did approve the work they did not allow enough hours for the repair to be done correctly, instead they wanted to use 1/4 round molding and not remove the island, slides, and fireplace to hide the cuts and make it appear is it did from the factory. Which was more battling, but finally it was done correctly and I just picked it up last week.

Of all the manufacturers we looked at the amenities and floor plans were the best with Dutchmen, I am overall still happy we made this purchase...
undertheinfluence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #7

Texas
Thanks for all the input, but I have decided to go in another direction ... found a Redwood 39HH toy hauler and feel more comfortable.. and dealer has a 2013 that had a deposit on it to buy from someone else when i was there last week.. his financing did not come thru and dealer is matching 74 k i said i would buy 2014 voltage 3950 ..and since the 2014 redwood has no major changes i am going to pull the trigger with 2013 Redwood ..I think the quality of build (frame, slides etc..) is much better in Redwood and warranty . went to RV park and spoke with 3 Redwood owners 1 was a previous voltage 3950 owner ( said never more with voltage ) issues with their Redwoods have been minor which is normal rv issues that every Rv has.... Redwood has been prompt and fixed correctly and even sent a mobile rv tech to site to fix a bad fan motor in one a/c , didnt even have to take to dealership cause it was on a Sunday when it went out... that is Customer Service... he even showed me the invoice where Redwood payed the extra service call to site on a Sunday. ! I was very impressed Thanks everyone that responded and I hope everyone enjoys there Voltage , but the most important thing is not what RV you own, but that you are out there RVing!
Old 07-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by garren50 View Post
Thanks for all the input, but I have decided to go in another direction ... found a Redwood 39HH toy hauler and feel more comfortable.. and dealer has a 2013 that had a deposit on it to buy from someone else when i was there last week.. his financing did not come thru and dealer is matching 74 k i said i would buy 2014 voltage 3950 ..and since the 2014 redwood has no major changes i am going to pull the trigger with 2013 Redwood ..I think the quality of build (frame, slides etc..) is much better in Redwood and warranty . went to RV park and spoke with 3 Redwood owners 1 was a previous voltage 3950 owner ( said never more with voltage ) issues with their Redwoods have been minor which is normal rv issues that every Rv has.... Redwood has been prompt and fixed correctly and even sent a mobile rv tech to site to fix a bad fan motor in one a/c , didnt even have to take to dealership cause it was on a Sunday when it went out... that is Customer Service... he even showed me the invoice where Redwood payed the extra service call to site on a Sunday. ! I was very impressed Thanks everyone that responded and I hope everyone enjoys there Voltage , but the most important thing is not what RV you own, but that you are out there RVing!
I just pulled the trigger on a V3305 voltage. I bought the xtraride warranty/insurance policy that will also pay for a mobile tech should I ever have an issue. This will include issues at home or on the road in which they would come to my home/camping place to fix. Just an FYI.
Jbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #9

British Columbia
Voltage or Redwood both owned by Thor Industries...there are not too many RV manufactures that are not owned by Thor Industries.

Coops
Canada
Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
Chapter Director

Send a message via Skype™ to gonervn
Ohio
We love ours and only had a couple shaedown issues.
Findlay, Oh.
gonervn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by garren50 View Post
Sorry, I disagree with everything after the first comma in the last sentence. If you've got a crappy coach like mine, RVing is NO FUN. Need a good coach if you're going to get out and have fun. I get the idea, though. Good luck with the Redwood.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #12

Texas
Thumbs up

Been full timing in our new 2013 Voltage 3895 since April and love it.http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ons/icon14.gif
2 HDs & Can-Am Two up
nmroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #13

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmroper View Post
Been full timing in our new 2013 Voltage 3895 since April and love it.http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ons/icon14.gif
I suspect that overall, the Voltage is a superior rig. There will always be those who lie on the outer edges of the bell curve. Most have no real issues. And by "real" I mean stuff that requires a trip to the dealer or some RV service center that only they can repair.

I've read some horror stories, but then, it's only one side of the story. Really need to hear more than just the complaints. There are real concerns, certainly, but I suspect that overall, this coach is far better than most. At least in my walk through and initial inspection, that's what I think. More to come as the waiting game continues. Only 4 days, 13 hours, 20 minutes to go to PDI on the 2013 Votage 3950!
Old 08-12-2013, 11:53 PM   #14

Indiana
I don't have enough time to tell you about the nightmare I have had with our 2012 Voltge 3950. If you can think of it, we have had trouble with it.. From the first time out water leaks, slides dropping and beating a hole in the floor, bedroom slide not working, gas pump needed replaced and the list goes on ( I have had 32 issues and some are still not resolved). It is in the dealership now for at least the 9th time. I have talked to 2 other Voltage owners that have had the same awning problems and ramp door needing replaced. Main air does not move enough air, 1 tire had to be replaced with 7000 miles because of wear on the outside edge, (the other 5 look new) and the battery replaced. Even the dealer has admitted problems with the slide mechanism, supports and motors being junk. I have close to a $1000 dollars invested in fuel just getting it to a dealer and picking it up. And it still isn't in my driveway...

The only thing that keeps me going is pictures like this!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camper 001.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockville Lake 2011 005.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rockville Lake 2011 002.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	612  
TheNewFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 AM   #15

California
Seems there's always on exceptional situation out there. I'd be very disappointed if that were my rig. Guess there's no lemon law for RVs. Those are some fabulous pictures!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #16

Oklahoma
Sure there are Lemon Law for RVs but not every state has them. For instance, California Lemon Law for your Recreational Vehicle (RV), Motor Home. California's own Lemon Law.

However, most RV Lemon Laws refer to motorhome or self propelled units. Still, a phone call wouldn't hurt, laws change and so does the Internet.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #17

Indiana
Still having some major problems. The bedroom slide that they have worked on a least three is still not working. I can get it to work if I have the camper hooked to the truck and I push real hard on the lower front corner. If it is setting on the front landing gear I can't get it closed.. So the assumption is the front flexes and binds the slide when on the front jacks..
After all the problems I would not recommend anyone buying a Voltage as I went to a small local dealer and he has a Voltage 3200 with the same exact problem. He is the one that told me to hook it to the truck to help get the slide retracted.

I don't know the model the dealer has with the same problem, it is a 32ft Voltage.
TheNewFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #18

California
Wow sorry you're having those problems. I don't think those of us who are problem free are just lucky, I think we're the norm. The problems seem to come along and really clobber those that have them. Hope you can get this resolved. I would be calling Dutchmen and talking to a rep about your troubles, because that just isn't right to have that kind of slide problem.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:04 AM   #19

Washington
I also read many horror stories, but also heard how the newer ones had better QC. I don't know if your 2012 is an early build (actually built in 2011) or not, but our 2014 has been great. Yes we have had a few minor issues, but NOTHING requiring a visit to the dealer. Small leak, stereo in garage, simple small stuff. Overall we are very happy and we would, and have recommended a Voltage to others.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:11 PM   #20

Colorado
I will be taking deliver of my 2014 Voltage 3950 Tomorrow morning. Been a long time researching Toy Haulers and doing many walk throughs to come to this decision and time. I'ts going to be nice to say goodbye to my current trailer and say hello to a beast of a trailer.

Hazerdous is offline   Reply With Quote