2012 3200 Garage / Outside DVD Player - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Toy Hauler
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2017, 03:31 AM   #1

California
2012 3200 Garage / Outside DVD Player

Hi All

We are new to the the Voltage community as of last summer with a 2012 3200. This is our first fifth wheel and have loved every minute.

Now down to business. The garage / outside TV, DVD, stereo etc seems to be an area that could stand some improvement (I'm sure I am among friends on this one). I am an avid do it yourselfer that is always looking for a better mouse trap. Here goes:
1. Has anybody made the outside TV and speakers independent of the garage system by installing a separate DVD/ CD drive outside with the TV (maybe under the TV between the speakers)?
2. If so what type of drive (deck) was used?
3. Is there DC power near by?

Thanks in advance for any and all reply's

E

Edewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Arizona
I will be watching this one, as I thought about doing the same thing to mine, in addition to adding my 2way home base Radio and external speaker.

I have looked, not too deeply behind the drawer when we installed the DTV receiver below the TV, but it is a mess for now. May end up running my own power for them. However, the stereo is also connected to the amp and Sub in the garage, so this may represent a bit of figurin out.

Jason

4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #3

Wyoming
I've thought about it... but all I've done is replaced the cheap OEM tv with a larger one on an articulating arm mount, and added a wireless mini-genie from my DIRECTV system.

Everything is pretty much easily accessible by removing the drawer under the stove... but then all wiring runs behind/above the water heater under the fridge, and behind the garage tv cabinet.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:11 AM   #4

Texas
On my rig the outside speakers run through the fosgate 4-channel amp in the front hatch. I also considered doing what you are talking about, but I was going to add a source switch of some kind for the speakers so I could still blast 'em with the inside radio if i wanted.

Anyway, here are the issues I found when I was looking at my options.
  • The run to the front is way too long to try to fish audio cables to use the existing amp with the new setup
  • I could not find a stout enough hot wire behind the stove to tap into to power a separate amp installed there
  • i have never figured out a good way to secure a head unit in the plastic under the TV

I have not given up on this project, i just back-burnered it until I have more time and money to invest, lol...I will be watching this thread as well...as you figure everything out, post some pics for us to see.
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion Hitch
gwking11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwking11 View Post
On my rig the outside speakers run through the fosgate 4-channel amp in the front hatch. I also considered doing what you are talking about, but I was going to add a source switch of some kind for the speakers so I could still blast 'em with the inside radio if i wanted.

Anyway, here are the issues I found when I was looking at my options.
  • The run to the front is way too long to try to fish audio cables to use the existing amp with the new setup
  • I could not find a stout enough hot wire behind the stove to tap into to power a separate amp installed there
  • i have never figured out a good way to secure a head unit in the plastic under the TV

I have not given up on this project, i just back-burnered it until I have more time and money to invest, lol...I will be watching this thread as well...as you figure everything out, post some pics for us to see.
I just ordered the deck as this has also been on the back burner. What I have found so far:
  • I will be using a double DIN deck as it has proven very difficult to find a single DIN DVD.
  • planning on pulling power from the fuse box under the TV (inside) and routing under the floor.....haven't figured out all the details yet

Mounting the head unit could be a bit more challenging. The overall depth may interfere with the drawer under the stove requiring the face of the head unit to be pushed towards the outside hatch requiring a custom mounting surface. The black plastic liner behind the TV is supported by plywood which will help with support.

I plan on starting this late next week. I will post updates with pictures.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #6

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edewing;51809[*
I will be using a double DIN deck as it has proven very difficult to find a single DIN DVD.
I was in walmart today, and while not a good brand, there was a single-din dvd with the touchscreen that comes out and lifts up when you turn on the unit. Just an FYI...I am sure if "dual," or whoever that walmart brand is, make it, then kenwood etc. should make one as well!

I was worried about the distance to the back of the drawer as well...never got as far as measuring to see if I could find a deck to fit tho.

FYI, here is a link to several single-din, dvd head units, if you are still interested!!
https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear...head_unit.html

I look forward to the pics.
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion Hitch
Old 05-22-2017, 06:06 AM   #7

California
Looks like I was probably too impatient in my research. I did see the retractable screen single din but was skeptical due to dust etc......probably over thinking. I have a pioneer coming which looks to fit (hieght) nicely below the TV.......depth will be a different story though.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 AM   #8

California
Thumbs up

A quick update. I finished the install today with success. It was as suspected with depth being the biggest issue however with a slight mod to the drawer (which now works better than before) the install went pretty smooth. Here is the final product, I have more detailed pics if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ext DVD.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	4179  
Old 05-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Texas
Wow that looks great...what mod did you have to make to the drawer? Also, is that just stained plywood on the front?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 PM   #10

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edewing View Post
A quick update. I finished the install today with success. It was as suspected with depth being the biggest issue however with a slight mod to the drawer (which now works better than before) the install went pretty smooth. Here is the final product, I have more detailed pics if needed.

I did mine the same way, built a wood mount to bring it out a little. Biggest challenge was having just enough room behind the drawer under the stove. I angled the radio so the back faced down under the drawer. As for power, I fished a line off the existing garage radio and disconnected the speakers from the garage system all together. I know I don't have the extra amp anymore but it still sounds good.

I also added an HDMI/USB IN to the TV in case I want to use a Chromecast and also an HDMI/USB OUT from the stereo to hook up an external projector for big screen movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
vchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:22 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwking11 View Post
Wow that looks great...what mod did you have to make to the drawer? Also, is that just stained plywood on the front?
For the drawer I had to move the back wall in about an inch. It was very very close to fitting without the mod, but i didn't like the pressure it was putting on the A/V cables.

The wood is solid 1 1/4 pine (some stuff I had laying around) with dark walnut stain. I still need to make some trim to cover the screws on the face.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:41 AM   #12

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vchris View Post
I did mine the same way, built a wood mount to bring it out a little. Biggest challenge was having just enough room behind the drawer under the stove. I angled the radio so the back faced down under the drawer. As for power, I fished a line off the existing garage radio and disconnected the speakers from the garage system all together. I know I don't have the extra amp anymore but it still sounds good.

I also added an HDMI/USB IN to the TV in case I want to use a Chromecast and also an HDMI/USB OUT from the stereo to hook up an external projector for big screen movies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I like the angle idea, I can see many benefits. I pulled power from the fuse panel by going under the floor, which was pretty easy. I wasn't too keen on searching for power behind the fridge.

I also brought a USB to the front and installed a power switch to limit the draw. I like the HDMI from the TV to the front, my DVD player, though, isn't HD so not an option there. What type of stereo did you install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170528_163029.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4180   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170528_181702.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	4181  
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edewing View Post
I like the angle idea, I can see many benefits. I pulled power from the fuse panel by going under the floor, which was pretty easy. I wasn't too keen on searching for power behind the fridge.

I also brought a USB to the front and installed a power switch to limit the draw. I like the HDMI from the TV to the front, my DVD player, though, isn't HD so not an option there. What type of stereo did you install.

I went with a single DIN radio mainly because of room in the back. My DVD player isn't HD either, so I used an analog to HDMI converter so I could connect to my HDMI projector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-2017, 04:45 AM   #14

Arizona
Thumbs up

Nice job!!
4 Seat Long Travel Sand Rail, 97 Jeep TJ Rock Crawler, 68 Roadrunner, Various Quads
Gearheadzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 09:12 AM   #15

Wyoming
Quote:
I went with a single DIN radio mainly because of room in the back. My DVD player isn't HD either, so I used an analog to HDMI converter so I could connect to my HDMI projector.
I’m about to start a similar project on my 3200, and am wondering where you got the black panel/box that you have your unit mounted in? Is that something you bought, or something you fabricated yourself?
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-25-2018, 12:27 PM   #16

Texas
I also wanted a DVD player and got lucky browsing Camping World and found this baby. Has built in DVD and multiple audio outs.. Hooked up to much garage and outside TVs like a snap and can play even over the outdoors speakers too. Very nice system. Also got a Bluetooth adapter to connect to Aux out and now stream outside Pandora and whatever.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #17

Florida
I fabricated the mounting face myself out of wood. I used a piece of 2X6 and the thickness of the wood helped support the radio. I had to mount it on an angle to clear the back side of the drawer under the oven. The wedge on the bottom front of the radio is also wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2018, 02:22 PM   #18

Wyoming
Quote:
I fabricated the mounting face myself out of wood. I used a piece of 2X6 and the thickness of the wood helped support the radio. I had to mount it on an angle to clear the back side of the drawer under the oven. The wedge on the bottom front of the radio is also wood.
Hmmm... yeah, I figured as such. That’s bad news for me for 2 reasons: one, I’m not much of a woodworker (more of a nuts & bolts guy)... and the other is that I’m up in Wyoming by Yellowstone for the summer, and off-the-shelf supplies are few. Although there is a local hardware store, the nearest Lowe’s and Home Depot are over 130 miles away.

I figure I’ve got nothing to lose by asking, but... I don’t suppose you’d consider making another one, would you? I’d gladly pay you for your efforts, as it’d sure make things easier on me since you already know the measurements & what’s needed. If not, or you don’t have the time, I’ll underst... but if so, send me a private message with the details of what you’d need, etc.
2018 BMW R1200GS RALLYE
Old 06-25-2018, 10:58 PM   #19

Ontario
I'm happy enough running the outside stereo and DVD from the garage unit. However, I did run a heavy duty HDMI cable to the outside TV from my sat receivers in the basement.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:24 PM   #20

Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebedford View Post
I'm happy enough running the outside stereo and DVD from the garage unit. However, I did run a heavy duty HDMI cable to the outside TV from my sat receivers in the basement.
Yeah well... that's really no longer an option for me. I tore out the entire OEM console/cabinet in the garage to make room for a larger TV & more storage options.

When new:

Name:	Garage3.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	4799

With added washer/dryer combo:

Name:	Garage2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	4800