Winter camping in 3470RE? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2016, 10:33 PM   #1

Michigan
Winter camping in 3470RE?

We just picked this camper up used, we are thinking we are going to full time for a while. What are the pros and cons to winter camping. Also concerned about water freezing! Looking for people's opinions. Thanks.

Kelleyj1837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 04:12 AM   #2

British Columbia
Humidity is the biggest problem you have to deal with, fulltiming you will probably have to add a portable dehumidifier.

We manage by using the bathroom vent constantly running on low and mopping excess humidity off the windows, but that's for short term camping.

You will want to use a heated hose on the water supply and ensure the tanks are heated, some campers it's electrical heaters and some it's just spill air into the belly.

A full skirt will help to reduce the heating bills and give you some place to create storage. Personally I would go with a 2x wall with added insulation, but even just a vinyl skirt will help.

When I was a kid I was going nowhere fast, now I'm an old man I'm going everywhere slow.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:32 AM   #3

Arizona
We have camped in sub-freezing temps, not by choice, and didn't care for it. The campground water supply is usually frozen and you're going to be sucking down copious amounts of propane trying to stay warm, which are our two major complaints. These trailers have terrible insulation. We didn't have an issue with any of our tanks freezing. And if you get caught up in any snow and don't have slide toppers you're going to have to clean the snow off the slides if you need to move.
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote