What might this switch be for? - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

Kentucky
What might this switch be for?

Sorry to ask stupid boring questions but I just got my first fifth wheel. It's a Dutchmen sport 27b and a 2003 model. I've got a couple switches right above the stove. The one shows the battery level and maybe looks like it has a switch below it for the pump in case I'm using water from my own supply tank. Is that seem right? The other Atwood switch I've figured out is the hot water heater but the last one is more like a normal light switch with box but a light comes on above it when switched on. Kinda lame description I know, but anyone got any ideas what it's for? The guy I bought it from didn't know anything as it was left to him from a grandfather and he had no interest in it. Thanks for any help or ideas!

TroutBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:22 AM   #2

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
Sorry to ask stupid boring questions but I just got my first fifth wheel. It's a Dutchmen sport 27b and a 2003 model. I've got a couple switches right above the stove. The one shows the battery level and maybe looks like it has a switch below it for the pump in case I'm using water from my own supply tank. Is that seem right? The other Atwood switch I've figured out is the hot water heater but the last one is more like a normal light switch with box but a light comes on above it when switched on. Kinda lame description I know, but anyone got any ideas what it's for? The guy I bought it from didn't know anything as it was left to him from a grandfather and he had no interest in it. Thanks for any help or ideas!
The easiest way to figure out the switches is to flip them on and see what happens.

What you have described sounds about right. The switch with the light could be either controlling a 12V or 120V circuit. Does it look like it's an add on or like it came from the factory?

hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:55 AM   #3

Kentucky
Here's a picture

Yeah, that's pretty much how I've figured out the others. Flip them and wait and see what happens. On this one though I flip it on and the only thing I'm seeing is the light right on the switch coming on. It does look factory to me. I have tried attaching a picture of that helps, but may not as it's just a switch. I wouldn't think battery only because the battery on the camper seems weak as it doesn't hold a charge for very long and everything still works as it should when no power is plugged in and the switch is off. Thanks for the help! I'm sure with having a 5 year old, a 3 and a 1 year old if I can't figure it out now that they'll be flipping switches soon enough and something will happen!

In the picture, it should be the battery gauge and the small Atwood switch for water heater going up the right hand side with the switch in referring to on the left more by itself, instead of being on the bottom like the picture shows. It's just turned and I can't get it to let me rotate the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1126
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2594  
Old 10-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Of the two switches you have there one services a 12 volt circuit and the other a 110 volt circuit based on the switch profile. The mystery switch by all indications controls a 110 volt circuit.
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #5

Nevada
I don't know if they had a electric water heater back in 2003, but one switch is for the gas and the other for electric????????????
2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #6

Montana
I'm guessing what RVNevada suggested. I think the 120V AC looking switch is for the electric heating element of the water heater. If so, hopefully you had water in the tank when you switched it on (if the LED came on to confirm it turned on). A 120V AC electric heating element will fry quickly if turned on in a dry hot water tank.

With water in the hot water tank and while disconnected from shore power, flip the switch on and see what happens. If it is an 120V AC power item, the LED next to it will not turn on. Try repeating this while you are plugged into shore power and if the LED comes on at least you know if it is a 120V AC item or a 12V DC device switch. If it comes on when plugged in, wait for a while (20 min?) and then check if you get warm or hot water to come out of a tap. An electric water heater element is completely silent so there will be nothing to hear if that is what the switch controls.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

British Columbia
What ewarnerusa said.

Kind of an unusual looking set up, almost looks like some has added an after market 120V hot water element. My 07 Colorado has both hot water switches on one small panel next the monitor.

If you have a factory installed application check to see if there is another switch inside the HW service panel. I have to turn on the switch inside the service panel to be able to control the 120V from inside the trailer. Kind of a safe gaurd against powering the element when the tank is empty. Course that would only work if you are in the habit of turning the switch at the tank on and off.
hddecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:54 PM   #8

Kentucky
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll check this out and get back with everyone.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:56 PM   #9
Site Team

North Carolina
My guess would be the electric element of the water heater. Easy enough to check if you can use a volt meter.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #10

California
Agree 100 % that's for the 110 power for the water heater. Yes they had them in 2003, my 2003 Teton has electric/propane hot water heater. I had a 2002 Montana that had it. They have been around for quite a while.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #11

Kentucky
That's great info! Thanks everyone! Hopefully I never burnt it up by flipping it on without water running in. I never had it on for more than a few minutes tops at a time. I guess I'll hook it up here soon just for testers to see if it'll still give me hot water with just the electric part. I know it does with the propane still. Can I use both the electric and propane if I'm trying to heat it up quicker? Please note that I have 3 girls in the family. Hot showers are hard to come by for me!
Old 10-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #12

Montana
Yes, you can have both water heating methods on at the same time for quicker heating times. I have fortunately never done it, but I've read that it takes less than minutes to fry the electric element if the tank is dry. I think you'll just have to fill the tank, flip the switch, and then see how the water is a little while later.

I've also been thinking about what I said for troubleshooting if it is a 120V AC or 12V DC device. I actually think my LED for the electric water heater element will turn on when I flip the switch regardless of if I'm plugged into shore power or not. So that might have not been good troubleshooting advice to you. I think you just have to and see if water gets heated!
Old 10-05-2015, 08:11 PM   #13

Kentucky
That's what I'll do then. Easy enough once I hook it back up to the truck. Thanks again
Old 10-05-2015, 09:10 PM   #14

California
No problem using both electric & propane to get the water warm quicker. I do it quite often with no side effects. Sure helps when needing to take a shower & I forgot to turn on the water heater. In five minutes or so you will have hot water.
2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:06 AM   #15

Michigan
If the heat element is burnt, consider the hot rod. Screws into the drain and works great! I had an older Coachman Catalina that was gas hot water only and I added the hot rod.
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 12:53 PM   #16

Kentucky
That's a good thought donzinger. Where I park my camper I don't have electric without hauling my generator out to it, so I'm anxiously waiting for enough time to hook up and pull it over close enough to where I can test everything again. At least I know I have propane for hot water if it doesn't work for the next trip.

Tags
lighted switch, unknown switch