Valve Stem Failure--Heads Up - Page 2 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 PM   #21

Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawniewest View Post
He must be related to the guy who rotated my truck tires. The dummies were starting the lug nuts with an inpact wrench and cross threaded 2 on one hub. I only found out because I did the front brakes the nest morning(or tried to).

He tried to tell me that because my truck was high mileage, that the studs in the hub will "stretch" over time and cause cross threading. I resisted punching him and politely asked him to try to pretend my IQ was over 20.
As a former ASE certified mechanic I can say for sure this is BS!!
What an idiot. There is no problem with removing lug nuts with an impact, heck once you start them BY HAND you can even run them back on with an impact as long as you don't tighten them with the impact. The only way your studs are stretching to the point it ruins the threads is if the nuts are WAY over tightened.
The only exception to always torquing by hand with a torque wrench is if you use "torque sticks" on your impact wrench. There are color coded (for different amounts of torque) extensions you can buy for your impact wrench that will limit the amount of torque applied because the tensile strength of the steel is engineered to flex a certain amount only allowing a certain amount of torque to be applied to the lug nut.
Even if you are using torque sticks, you still start the damn nuts by hand.

I'm sure this is all things you are aware of already, but I hate the fact that a large percentage of tire guys are idiots with no mechanical ability whatsoever.