Tire Damage - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 AM   #1

Texas
Tire Damage

Factory tire came apart after 1000 miles. Luckily I had minimal damage. No damage to the fender and some damage under the slide out. It did tear out the wiring to the running light and plug behind the couch. Does anyone know where I can find the electrical diagram for the Voltage 3950? I pretty sure the running light is part of the 12 volt system and the plug is part of the 110 volt system.. Any help would be appreciated.

Jtkenyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #2

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtkenyon View Post
Factory tire came apart after 1000 miles. Luckily I had minimal damage. No damage to the fender and some damage under the slide out. It did tear out the wiring to the running light and plug behind the couch. Does anyone know where I can find the electrical diagram for the Voltage 3950? I pretty sure the running light is part of the 12 volt system and the plug is part of the 110 volt system.. Any help would be appreciated.
I have a 2014 3950 - there is no wiring diagram except for what you draw up yourself. If you get a good pic of what you are looking for and description of location, I will look at mine and see if I can help.

donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:40 AM   #3

Florida
Quote:
Glad to hear that you and your RV are safe and there was minimal damage. Tires have been a hot topic on this forum, we affectionately call them china bombs.

Welcome to the forum!
franktafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #4

Florida
You are correct, the tail lights will be 12v, and the outlet is 110 v.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #5

Ontario
There is no 115V receptacle in our 3950 LR slide. I installed one on the wall of the powder room and use an extension cord. The couch is gone of course.

Maybe they added on in later years - ours is a 2011 model.
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

Florida
My 3950 had one in the slideout by the recliners.

But of course my 3950 is LONG gone
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #7

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzinger View Post
I have a 2014 3950 - there is no wiring diagram except for what you draw up yourself. If you get a good pic of what you are looking for and description of location, I will look at mine and see if I can help.
Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have pictures, but I will try to describe. Under the couch slide out, there is a plastic flex guard that the wires run from the frame to the slide out. The large black bundle is for the slide out motor. There is also 2 white wires that run to under the slide out (guessing those are for the 110 plug behind the couch. I cannot find the 12 v wires and where they come from within the frame. I am guessing the broke off at the frame.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #8

Texas
Here is a photo of the wires. I believe these are to the plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0470.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	5222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	5223   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5224  
Old 01-27-2019, 03:59 PM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Here is a photo of the wires. I believe these are to the plug.
The white with the blue doesn't look like power. Have your checked your load center to see what color the wires are there? The stranded wires are definitely 12 v. Do you think these wires could be to your electric brakes? I believe the 110 stuff would be IN the belly of the RV and not exposed on the outside and 12 or 14 AWG.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:03 PM   #10

Michigan
Without breaking under mine, the frame is I beam, so you could drop some of the chloroplast (the black cardboard looking covering) and you'll be at to see the other end of the wires. I'll get under mine as soon as I get out there. Freaking cold this week. LOL
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #11

Texas
Thanks

I really appreciate all the help. I will get back to working the rig next weekend. Switching out all the tires 2 at a time to a higher quality. Repaired the septic line and some minor bend in the metal. As for the 2 wires (white and white/blue), they either go to the side running light on the fender or the plug that is in the back corner of the couch.

I checked the electric brake wiring, and no damage.

I will drop the plastic liner and have a look inside the frame area.

Stay warm up there.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:44 PM   #12

South Carolina
Quote:
I really appreciate all the help. I will get back to working the rig next weekend. Switching out all the tires 2 at a time to a higher quality. Repaired the septic line and some minor bend in the metal. As for the 2 wires (white and white/blue), they either go to the side running light on the fender or the plug that is in the back corner of the couch.

I checked the electric brake wiring, and no damage.

I will drop the plastic liner and have a look inside the frame area.

Stay warm up there.

Recommend you getting "Tire Pressure Monitors" for the trailer. I got a set off AMAZON for under $60 and works fine. You don't have to spend big bucks.
ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:19 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyVeteran View Post
Recommend you getting "Tire Pressure Monitors" for the trailer. I got a set off AMAZON for under $60 and works fine. You don't have to spend big bucks.
which ones did you get on amazon? I bought a set at Walmart but my tire pressures are 80 pounds cold so I had to return them. Anything else that I have found is way over 300.00
Old 01-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #14

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktafl View Post
which ones did you get on amazon? I bought a set at Walmart but my tire pressures are 80 pounds cold so I had to return them. Anything else that I have found is way over 300.00

Hi,

This is the one I bought. But it is not available at the moment on Amazon.

YOKARO Wireless TPMS, Tire Pressure Monitoring System for Cars, Trailer, and 4 wheeled Vehicles, 4 External Cap Sensors, Black
Sold by: Yokaro US

$69.99

But they have this one that looks almost identical. it measures up to 87 PSI.

https://www.amazon.com/YOKARO-Wirele...KG7HSEX9C79HMV

The only issues I have with mine are that you have to plug the receiver into a cigarette lighter outlet directly. I got around it with an adapter on a 2 foot cord. I was worried about the extra weight on the end of the tire valve stem. But the tires and wheels balanced fine.

Mine is adjustable for alarm criteria and it is loud enough to hear. Unless you play heavy metal at full volume.

Good luck!
Old 01-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #15

Arizona
Never had a blow out on any of my trailers running LT truck tires. Had several blow outs running the cheap Chinese made tires. I think there's a pattern here. lol
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Had the same problem. Had to drop the bottom to find the wires. Used a meter to check the voltages. Once the wiring was figured out, I bought heavy rubber conduit from Lowes and reran all the wiring through it so a blown tire won't tear it up again.

Not really a new member. Been hauling my 2011 Coleman Signature Series 5th wheel around the country since 2012. Before that had a Paradise Point that was nothing but trouble, before that was a Jayco travel trailer too small. LOL
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:21 PM   #17

Saskatchewan
Broken wireing

Do you still have lights in your slide out, as broken wires maybe for the 12v lights. As to tires, I have a 2012 Voltage 3905 w/triples, I changed my tires in the 2nd summer to Pro Meters which are a 14 ply all steel chineese tire, I currently have over 25000 miles on them with more than 1/2 thread left on them. These tires may not be available in the US, but for 200$ a tire they are well worth the money compared to the Goodyear 14 ply G159's that started to decap at 3years and 2000 miles on my last trailer...
23satd5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #18

Florida
Tires are a true danger. you indicated you will be buying a better grade tire, What brand did you decide on. I know Goodyear had a bad run of tires several years ago. What is the very best tire for trailers?
edwin sandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:47 PM   #19

South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by KECoats View Post
Had the same problem. Had to drop the bottom to find the wires. Used a meter to check the voltages. Once the wiring was figured out, I bought heavy rubber conduit from Lowes and reran all the wiring through it so a blown tire won't tear it up again.

Not really a new member. Been hauling my 2011 Coleman Signature Series 5th wheel around the country since 2012. Before that had a Paradise Point that was nothing but trouble, before that was a Jayco travel trailer too small. LOL

Good idea! What rubber conduit are you talking about???Garden Hose Never saw that??

Thanks
Bill
Old 02-03-2019, 06:08 PM   #20

Nevada
JT, there are a few good tires out there, I have a 3895 with 6 tires, I was lucky, I got around 6,000 miles on the China Bombs, but have since got over 6,000 miles on my Sailum S-637, I picked them because you can get them everywhere from Big O tire....Yes get tire monitoring, the Trailer tires are too far back to see or hear when they go bad....

2019 GMC 3500HD 4X4 CC DRW LB Bags Husky 26K Hitch Can Am Commander 1000 ATV
RVNevada is offline   Reply With Quote