Thermostat ,,Dometic - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-30-2018, 11:03 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: prophetstown
Posts: 229
Illinois
Thermostat ,,Dometic

Had never used the furnace till now. The thermostat is touchy. Crank it up to say 70 so it will come on, it will run till it's hot in here, then to shut it off you have to run it down to 60 or so. Any help,, adjustments or any ideas
__________________

Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
Site Team
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sprung Leak
Posts: 3,137
North Carolina
Mine runs way off, have to set it on 76 to get the interior to stabilize at 68-70. Do you have the manual for it? Try doing a reset, they call it something else though, maybe initialization?

Aaron
__________________

__________________
There is madness to my methods
2015 Coleman CM16FBS(traded) 2016 Concord 300DS
2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: prophetstown
Posts: 229
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Mine runs way off, have to set it on 76 to get the interior to stabilize at 68-70. Do you have the manual for it? Try doing a reset, they call it something else though, maybe initialization?

Aaron
Ok, thanks,, will try that
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
joebedford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 326
Ontario
Maybe it's installed in a bad location? Exterior wall? My dual thermostat is pretty accurate in both zones (one furnace; two a/c)
joebedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: prophetstown
Posts: 229
Illinois
No its interior wall
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
CSCLARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Sanger
Posts: 336
Texas
Depends on the thermostat but here is mine: To initialize the thermostat
(Pressing zone & mode at the same time)

You can also run the diagnostic mode which is pressing fan, program, f/c at the same time.*

01-03 should force fan on low, med, high

04 forces compressor on
__________________
Chris & Donna
2014 Voltage Epic 3990
2018 RAM 3500 Laramie Sport Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins, AISIN 4X4 DRW 4.10 Long Bed Dually
2004 Sportster 1200c, Cruzbike Silvio 2.1, Cannondale Trail 5, Rover!
CSCLARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 PM   #7
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Had never used the furnace till now. The thermostat is touchy. Crank it up to say 70 so it will come on, it will run till it's hot in here, then to shut it off you have to run it down to 60 or so. Any help,, adjustments or any ideas
I had the same situation. I work in the building temperature controls field so it was especially annoying for me. The problem most likely isn't the location. It's the crappy programming built into the thermostat that allows a wide swing between turning on and off.

I solved the problem by adding a separate thermostat to control the heat. I used a Honeywell TH1100DV1000 thermostat which is a basic digital battery operated unit that is compatible with the 12 Volt wiring in RV heaters.

I mounted the new thermostat adjacent to the existing heating/cooling thermostat and dropped a 2-conductor wire down the wall into the area behind my pass-through where the heater is located. I then cut the existing control wire that runs from the heater to the rooftop A/C control box near the heater and connected it to the wire leading my new thermostat.

It was a huge improvement. The temperature control is almost as good as at home. The heater cycles more often, but the cycles are shorter so you don't get the cold/hot swings anymore.

The thermostat that I used has an installer adjustment to configure the cycle rate. It defaults to '5' which was pretty good, but if you want it even tighter try the '6' setting.
wiresLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: prophetstown
Posts: 229
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiresLV View Post
I had the same situation. I work in the building temperature controls field so it was especially annoying for me. The problem most likely isn't the location. It's the crappy programming built into the thermostat that allows a wide swing between turning on and off.

I solved the problem by adding a separate thermostat to control the heat. I used a Honeywell TH1100DV1000 thermostat which is a basic digital battery operated unit that is compatible with the 12 Volt wiring in RV heaters.

I mounted the new thermostat adjacent to the existing heating/cooling thermostat and dropped a 2-conductor wire down the wall into the area behind my pass-through where the heater is located. I then cut the existing control wire that runs from the heater to the rooftop A/C control box near the heater and connected it to the wire leading my new thermostat.

It was a huge improvement. The temperature control is almost as good as at home. The heater cycles more often, but the cycles are shorter so you don't get the cold/hot swings anymore.

The thermostat that I used has an installer adjustment to configure the cycle rate. It defaults to '5' which was pretty good, but if you want it even tighter try the '6' setting.
Thanks for the reply,, will consider that
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:55 AM   #9
New Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Lone Tree
Posts: 7
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Had never used the furnace till now. The thermostat is touchy. Crank it up to say 70 so it will come on, it will run till it's hot in here, then to shut it off you have to run it down to 60 or so. Any help,, adjustments or any ideas
I had an issue where the heat would come on, but after it shut off the first time it would not ever come back on. It did not matter how high I turned it up. I took it to the dealer since it is under warranty. They told me they had to replace the board inside the furnace.
Oasys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:43 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Green Valley
Posts: 50
Arizona
Another thought to consider is gas furnaces for RV's have two cycles where heat is not applied. The pre-purge and post-purge cycles. What this means is the fan comes on before the furnace is lit to purge the air, then after the thermostat shuts off the furnace the fans still runs to cool the system and purge the chamber.. This purge cycle Usually runs for about 60 seconds before and 30 seconds after. The 30 seconds after tends to send more heat then the thermostat called for... heating you up. Add to that, some thermostats are set to run longer deliberately, why I don't understand but have been told it's to make up for the purge cycles(???).
In addition, the lousy programming on many thermostats means the temps can be way off as others have written about above.

Pick one excuse....grins.

I simply ran my system and learned how to adapt to the heating cycle of my furnace. There are times I will get up and shut if off (I'm up anyway for a bathroom break) and then will turn it back on on the next bathroom break!

Another thought just occurred to me, I was going to upgrade to a digital thermostat but my system is to old (2014) and would require me to buy and install a new lower part of the AC system to be compatible with the new thermostat. Not worth it to me. I can't change the midnight bathroom breaks so I'll live with the system I have. You will figure it out.
__________________

__________________
2015 Sierra 1500 Denali
2014 Coleman 249RB
David Jon Devoucoux
People, Places & Things...for over 40 Years!
videoarizona is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Dutchmen RV or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.