Tank Heaters Voltage 3818 - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM   #1

Washington
Tank Heaters Voltage 3818

Has anyone gotten an answer on exactly which switch controls what tank? My labels just say Tank Heater and there are 3 of them. I have a Black Tank and two Gray Tanks, plus the Fresh Water Tank. Since I leave both gray tank valves open when in a park, I would hate to turn on the tank heaters on empty tanks, Also, would the fresh water tank have a heater as it seems that would be normal, but without taking the entire bottom off to test the heaters/switches, I have no idea. Does Dutchman wire these in a normal sequence or just hooks the wires up to whatever switch is close. My main complaint with Dutchman on this is they give you a whole panel of switches, yet do not label completely.

ranbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:04 PM   #2

Oklahoma
A member posted a photo of the 'tank' heaters. What they were were heating elements located at the valve bodies, not the tanks per se. Logical wiring would prevail, e,g, first switch wired to the first tank, but, logic does not prevail with the manufacture.
I think the member stated what switch operated what heater but the wiring scheme isn't written in stone.
You might try the search option here and discover his findings.

Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Washington
Thanks, I did search but found no real answer, just guesses so far. You would think the manufacturer would know....
Old 12-21-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

Oklahoma
http://www.dutchmenowners.org/forums...ge-2380-3.html

Third page...........
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Caravanners
sundancer 87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Pennsylvania
Keystone nor the dealer could tell me which were which, or why I only had three heater switches and four tanks. Logic does not pertain to the wiring of these units. My slide out switches were backwards, leftmost switch controlled the rightmost slide. The lighting was the same, switches on the left side of the panel controlled the lights on the right side of the coach. Good luck.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #6

Washington
I wish Keystone offered a tour of the plant when a model like mine is being done so you can locate this stuff without tearing off the bottom or tearing into walls.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:03 PM   #7

Pennsylvania
A reputable company that uses good manufacturing practices would build each unit the same and have documentation available. I learned too late that these units were built haphazardly with nothing standardized. My neighbor down the road has a 2015 Voltage too, you should see the mess he has. Someday when I have the time and the ambition, I'll tell you about the nightmare we just had with our suspension.

2015 Voltage 3305, Gone for Good !
2014 Ram 3500 dually, Aisin, Gone but not Forgotten.
2018 Winnebago Sunstar 32YE
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #8

Washington
Trust me, I know what a mess he has... I have a 2015 3818, The dump valves had to be replaced as they fail. I read that it is so common and that the manufacture figures dealer service will fix these things. The wiring is just bizarre, So far I have had to replace:
1. The fan switch on the Heater Fan
2. Two of the dump valves failed (I replaced with electric, Best decision ever)
3. I have this Low DC issue with the Fridge
4. I have 4 tanks, and three heater switches
5. The TV in the cargo area has a Coaxial cable that just seems to pass through and not connected to anything, but you have to take the wall apart to trace it.
6. In Living area, they have lights above couch and two reading lights on switches on each end, yet the power switch controls power to both sets of lights, so you can not use reading lights without all the overhead lights on?
7. There are two two thermostats for the heat and A/C yet they do not tell you which zone goes to what thermostat.

Most all of this should be addressed and documented but it is not, I am a bit discouraged with Keystone and I am now in process of fixing all these issues on my own dime.

Tags
heaters, label, switches, tank, tank heaters