Surge Protectors - Dutchmen Owners

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #1

Surge Protectors

I am wanting to install a hard wired voltage spike suppressor in my 3200 Voltage. I went to the dealer who stated to install it as close to the exterior plug as possible. I asked how to access that area. They stated enter through the bay in the front and just reach to the plug next to the exterior control panel where the water hook up is. That was a no go. I removed the panel and all I could see was the side of the water dump station control panel.

My question is exactly where in this unit do I access the main power to install the surge suppressor? Do I mount it on the opposite side where it says electrical behind this panel??

Where has others mounted their surge suppressors??

Tanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #2

come on people.. someone must have put in a surge guard in their voltage by now.. gimme a little insight.

Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

British Columbia
I'd love to know as well!
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

Michigan
Don't know if this will help, but our 3905 has a sticker on the ditchside of the bear cave. It is on the rear wall just inside the access hatch and says something like "remove this panel to access the electrical components." I don't have the rig here or I'd run out and double check that.
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #5

Thanks Aronious.. Mine has the same sticker. When I talked to the dealer they say put it as close to the plug as possible.. I was hoping someone has installed one and where they put it.
There is a gazillion screws to get into that panel your speaking of. uggggg.

Maybe some one else will pipe in.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #6

Michigan
Ya! It just seem to me that there would be a junction in there where it splits the current to the rest of the trailer but not sure as I haven't been behind that panel. Personally, I don't see a problem with mounting a suppressor at the end of the cable run from the connector plug. Maybe another member has had that panel off and thought to take a pic of what's behind it. If I ever get the toy-hauler stored here at the house, one of my projects was to pull that panel and remount the Dirt Devil canister into it like I saw somewhere else on the forums.
Two Harleys
Aronious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanman View Post
Thanks Aronious.. Mine has the same sticker. When I talked to the dealer they say put it as close to the plug as possible.. I was hoping someone has installed one and where they put it.
There is a gazillion screws to get into that panel your speaking of. uggggg.

Maybe some one else will pipe in.
During my stay in Florida....I met up with a guy that had a Big Horn. He mounted a surge protector right beside the sticker for electrical components is in his basement (ditchside). He had taken that panel off, uggggg.

Another fellow camper had a surge suppressor inline at the power source (50 amp) where he plugged in.

Probably, not too much help. Good luck!

2012 Dutchmen 3850RL
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #8

California
Just wondering if anybody figured out how to install the hard wired surge protector yet or not? Maybe I will be the first one? I am going to be installing a 2000watt inverter and a surge protector. I will take pictures of the install and post them but if anybody has done this already please let me know how it went.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #9

Wyoming
I asked my service guy about installing one... and he STRONGLY advised me to NOT get a hard-wired unit. Said he'd seen lots of rigs in his time come through for electrical work with one installed, and even a few units that had caught fire and were badly damaged. And all of them had trouble trying to get reimbursed for the cost of repairs.

His take was that... if Dutchmen had installed one with the build, then that'd be great. It'd be located in a convenient place... and (more importantly) if anything ever went wrong, it'd be covered under warranty.

As for an aftermarket one... he said that while they are far more convenient, in that you don't have that big, heavy, box on the end of the plug... if anything should ever go wrong with it, the hassles of trying to diagnose the trouble and/or remove it from the system completely are much more complicated.

And 'good luck' trying to prove to either Dutchmen, the dealer who installed it, or the company that made the surge protector that the problem is their fault to pay for repairs. That each would blame the other. Dutchmen would say the surge protector was defective or installed incorrectly... the surge company would say the rig electronics were defective or installed incorrectly... and the service dept. who installed it would say it was either bad wiring on the rig or the surge protector that caused it.

(and "good luck" going against their lawyers if you installed it yourself!!)

Either way, the rig owner would have to pay any repair costs up front, and then try to get reimbursed from whoever they could get to claim fault. Expect a few years before your case would ever appear in court.

All of that is avoided with a portable plug & play portable unit. There's virtually nothing to screw up. You plug the unit on the shore-power pole, plug your cord into the unit, and you're in business. Everything is self-contained, with no user modifications required.

So that was his opinion on it... take it for what it's worth.
2017 BMW R1200GS Rallye
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #10

Colorado
I must admit that I am new to a lot of this, but why would you want a whole coach protector anymore than you might want a whole house protector?

I live in a high lightening strike area and have never considered the whole house approach, I just use one on sensative things, like TVs, computers, etc.

Is the power in camp grounds that unreliable or unstable?

Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote