Solar Power - Dutchmen Owners
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Dutchmen Owners > Dutchmen Brand RVs > Fifth Wheel
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

Arizona
Solar Power

Getting ready to install solar on my Dutchmen Voltage 3305. Looking at a Renogy 200 watt kit. Has anyone installed one of these and do you know what size inverter came with my unit?

ourlazys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:43 PM   #2

California
I don't have a solar panel on mine. I can say that a inverter didn't come on any Voltage that I know of. A converter..........yes which is 110v A/C to 12v DC. Inverter is 12v DC to 110v A/C
Converter that came with mine is a 60 amp
I bought a "cheap" 2000 watt inverter from Harbor Freight. 1000 Watt Continuous/2000 Watt Peak Power Inverter
Runs my TV & DVD player fine. Which is all I use it for.

2012 F-350 6.7l CC 4X4, Sold 10/10/17
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #3

Montana
Inverter and solar are completely independent systems that do different things. Is there a specific thing you're trying to accomplish?
Even a converter is a completely different system than a solar charging setup, although they do both recharge the batteries.
Kits are often more expensive than the sum of their components, but there is the convenience of getting most of what you need in a single go.
This kit? http://www.amazon.com/RENOGY%C2%AE-S.../dp/B00H5BPPKM
That price actually isn't too bad and the controller appears to be programmable and offer temperature compensation. Just make sure you install the controller as close to your batteries as possible to minimize voltage drop.
My favorite site for solar stuff is Solar Cells, Solar Panels, Renewable Energy, Wind Energy, Charge Controllers, Solar Trackers - Solarblvd
Old 09-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #4

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlazys View Post
Getting ready to install solar on my Dutchmen Voltage 3305. Looking at a Renogy 200 watt kit. Has anyone installed one of these and do you know what size inverter came with my unit?
Thanks to both DesertRat and ewarnerusa, both gave me good information.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:58 AM   #5
Site Team

North Carolina
Renogy is good stuff. I have one of their 100 watt suitcase kits. If I ever go to hard mounted panels I will buy from them. Their kits are well thought out and well priced.

For solar you need: panels, wiring and a controller. And I would strongly suggest dual batteries.

A converter "converts" 120VAC to 12VDC to run lights, and fans. An Inverter takes the 12VDC and "converts" it back to 120VDC to run things like a microwave (energy hog), TV, DVD, etc.

They do make 12VDC Televisions and DVD players.

Inverters are typically not installed on RV's from the factory. They are an owner add on. If you decide you want to got that route, ask away, several of us have done it.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:32 AM   #6

Michigan
Renogy is good stuff - at the time I bought my setup, I went with 4 Grape Solar panels from Home Depot - great price and shipped to my door.

Whatever you go with make sure you have the battery capacity to handle your specific inverter. I have a 3100 watt Magnum and sometimes 4 golf cart batteries are iffy...but it works well!
donzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Arizona
Thanks everyone, very helpful. After hearing from the group and research on the web it looks like I will be going with Renogy 200 watt system and a 2000 watt inverter. It may be a month before I have all installed but I will follow back up and let you know how it went.
Old 09-30-2015, 02:26 PM   #8

Montana
Batteries? Inverter needs plenty of battery capacity regardless of how you plan on recharging them.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #9

California
The panels, charge controller, inverter choices are half of it. The fun part comes when you try to integrate the inverter power with your panel. Mine required a sub panel so I could switch between inverter and gen, and have all but A/C off the inverter, and switch without going outside. The electrical work was just as much of the cost, but I do have some extras like a charge/discharge monitor, charge balancer, and a 3/1 A/B bank setup so 1 bat is always good for the gen. Excellent set up now that it is all done but I cringe to add up the $!
2015 Voltage 3800 w/ Epic IV, Int&Ext, Garage Pkgs; 8x100W Solar, 2x Xantrex C35 Charge Controllers, SW2000 Inverter & Monitor; 2005 Chevy Duramax Dually 3500 w/Banks; Kawi KFX700 & Polaris Scrambler 500 ATVs.
VCToyhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Montana
VCToyhauler's approach will certainly provide convenience of switching over to inverter from generator.

We don't have an onboard generator so we just plug our shore power cord directly into the inverter outlet. This way all the camper's AC outlets are live just like when running off of normal shore power or generator. I isolated my onboard converter to its own AC breaker that I switch off when I'm on inverter power. I also switch AC breakers off for the air con, microwave, and electric water heater so they don't get accidentally turned on and overload the inverter, but this part is optional. Turning off the converter is not optional though.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #11

Arizona
I have been putting a lot of thought into this and came up with what I believe would be a very simple solution. Why couldn't I take a 15a adapter and plug into my 50a shore power inlet and then plug into the inverter? Why would the trailer care where it is receiving ac power? I believe I would have to turn the breaker off to my converter during this operation so that I am not using the same power source to charge my batteries. The solar panels now take on the job of charging the batteries.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #12

Montana
ourlazys,
Your idea is what I was describing in my post #10 in this thread for how we use our inverter. Sounds like you've got the idea with disabling the converter. Our converter was initially piggy backed onto the general outlet circuit, so I removed it from that AC breaker and put it on its own since the panel had room to add another. I actually haven't had our converter on in a couple years! Solar is all you need.
Also make sure you put your water heater and refrigerator on gas when you plug into your inverter. I flip off the AC breakers for the microwave, electric water heater, and air conditioner so that they don't accidentally get turned on and overload the inverter.
I also think that you need two adapters to step down from your 50A plug to 15A, a 50A to 30A and then a 30A to 15A. I'm not sure about that though, it is just what I think I read somewhere.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:57 PM   #13

Arizona
Thanks so much ewarneusa for your reply. I believe with the research I have been putting into this and your confirmation I will proceed with the project.